Tracy Anderson

2»

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    WARNING: What they say about the forums is true! If you do anything other than heavy lifting, crossfit, running, etc. than you'll have a plethora of individuals who will knock your workout, even though they haven't done it themselves.

I didn't poo-poo on anyone else's workout, but for some, if you aren't doing "their" workout, everything else is crap.
    I can respect someone saying they did the workout for X number of months and they didn't get the results they wanted or the workout didn't suit them for ____ reason, but just to say everyone must lift heavy weights or whatever is just naive and narrow minded.

The right workout is one where the individual challenges themselves, sees results, and enjoys the process (most of the time ;o) )... and THAT will be DIFFERENT for EVERYONE.

I believe you're the one that brought up the topic of serious training, and I quote - ""Serious Training"? Do her cardio mat workout and cardio workout and do all the reps with perfect form and then we can chat....until then...." For a lot of the people on this forum, her workouts are anything but "serious". She's clueless and only made a buck because she has Hollywood clientele, so she MUST know what she's talking about, right?

Here's some of the nonsense that comes out of her mouth - "Oftentimes, heavy weights can tear the muscle fiber causing it to bulk, but using a lighter weight for a longer duration and allowing your body to move in many different ways to target all of the muscles will lengthen them without tearing"

WTF? There's so many things wrong with this quote I don't even know where to begin. In short, if you don't TEAR the muscles they won't grow so you won't get stronger. God forbid we tear muscles, careful! Most women who lift won't get bulky without steroid assistance. And what exactly does the body moving "around in many different ways with light weights" do exactly, and how is this better than lifting a heavy weight that promotes muscle gain, and improves metabolic rates (among many other things)?
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    I have done her mat DVD a couple of times per week on and off over the last few years along with Jillian Michaels DVD's and have enjoyed both. Dont think her cardio one is for me and I don't know anything about her diet. Sorry cant be much help really!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    WARNING: What they say about the forums is true! If you do anything other than heavy lifting, crossfit, running, etc. than you'll have a plethora of individuals who will knock your workout, even though they haven't done it themselves.

I didn't poo-poo on anyone else's workout, but for some, if you aren't doing "their" workout, everything else is crap.
    I can respect someone saying they did the workout for X number of months and they didn't get the results they wanted or the workout didn't suit them for ____ reason, but just to say everyone must lift heavy weights or whatever is just naive and narrow minded.

The right workout is one where the individual challenges themselves, sees results, and enjoys the process (most of the time ;o) )... and THAT will be DIFFERENT for EVERYONE.

I believe you're the one that brought up the topic of serious training, and I quote - ""Serious Training"? Do her cardio mat workout and cardio workout and do all the reps with perfect form and then we can chat....until then...." For a lot of the people on this forum, her workouts are anything but "serious". She's clueless and only made a buck because she has Hollywood clientele, so she MUST know what she's talking about, right?

Here's some of the nonsense that comes out of her mouth - "Oftentimes, heavy weights can tear the muscle fiber causing it to bulk, but using a lighter weight for a longer duration and allowing your body to move in many different ways to target all of the muscles will lengthen them without tearing"

WTF? There's so many things wrong with this quote I don't even know where to begin. In short, if you don't TEAR the muscles they won't grow so you won't get stronger. God forbid we tear muscles, careful! Most women who lift won't get bulky without steroid assistance. And what exactly does the body moving "around in many different ways with light weights" do exactly, and how is this better than lifting a heavy weight that promotes muscle gain, and improves metabolic rates (among many other things)?

Actually no, someone else started the "serious training" line, about 4 responses in... I'm simply referencing it.
    I take her workouts and advice for what they're worth.... I've seen results and this is from someone who's done Body For Life, Chalean Extreme, and other programs in the past (if you're gonna respond to me, atleast read everything I posted). Do I think there are benefits to her program, yes - I've seen some great results and do believe that many people, especially those that lift heavy, only focus on larger muscle groups, leaving the smaller muscle groups neglected which could result in injury... just like those that focus solely on the stomach muscles and neglect the lower back and other core muscles.

Do I think this is the end-all, be-all of workouts? No. Do I think that it's for everyone? No. Do I think it's a good foundation for other workouts - Yes. Do I think it's a good workout for those not wanting to get a really muscular look but a toned look? Yes. And since I seem to be engaging with individuals that haven't done her program, besides the 3lb weights, there are high reps and you use your own body for resistance, which can be quite beneficial... just read this article from Bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-double-bodyweight-alternatives-strength-training-classics.html
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Do I think there are benefits to her program, yes - I've seen some great results and do believe that many people, especially those that lift heavy, only focus on larger muscle groups, leaving the smaller muscle groups neglected which could result in injury... just like those that focus solely on the stomach muscles and neglect the lower back and other core muscles.

I will agree with you that a lot of the Compound Lifting based programs don't isolate the muscles, and therefore leave you with muscle imbalances. There's actually a thread going on about that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1127972-big-4-lifts-what-muscles-are-left-out?page=1#posts-17500651 However, you'll always be better off lifting a heavy weight for 6-12 reps then you will lifting one a zillion times.
    Do I think this is the end-all, be-all of workouts? No. Do I think that it's for everyone? No. Do I think it's a good foundation for other workouts - Yes. Do I think it's a good workout for those not wanting to get a really muscular look but a toned look? Yes. And since I seem to be engaging with individuals that haven't done her program, besides the 3lb weights, there are high reps and you use your own body for resistance, which can be quite beneficial... just read this article from Bodybuilding.com

What is a "toned look" exactly? It's the presence of muscle and the absence of fat. How are you going to gain muscle if you never "tear" the muscles to get them to grow??? You're going to end up skinny fat - and isn't that the look of most of Tracy's Hollywood clientele?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but somehow I don't see the exercises in this article - Handstand Push Ups, Australian Pull Ups, etc being part of Tracy's workouts. For the record, I don't see heavy lifting as the only means of getting in shape. But when you compare it to the zillion reps with 3lb weight workouts, heavy lifting is a much, MUCH better means for what most people are trying to accomplish. It's just frustrating as someone who's a trainer and is passionate about this stuff to see people wasting their time doing this crap when they could being doing something more useful that will actually get them the results that they want.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    JRadd14 wrote: »

7 years after your initial post, and Ive gotta say, you are absolutely right. These forums do not allow for different ideas of what it means to be fit and to enjoy exercise while seeing results. These are the “if you don’t lift heavy weights you ain’t doin *kitten*” forums. If you’re smarter than that, your ideas and posts aren’t welcome here unfortunately.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Also, if one more person says, women can’t get bulky from lifting, I’m going to scream.
    What looks “bulky” is in the eyes of the beholder.
    I can mention at least 10 female fitness “experts” that make videos and say, wow, she looks in shape. But do I want my body to look like theirs? No! They look too bulky to me.
    There’s also a thread that everyone likes to post on these forums to bolster their belief that a woman doesn’t get bulky from lifting. But, to me, the woman looks bulky!!
    That’s my taste. That my opinion. Your views and opinions don’t equal facts. Nor do mine. They are just your taste and opinions.
    Tracy Anderson has trained gwyneth Paltrow. Every one knows that. But she’s also trained Jennifer Lopez and Madonna. Anyone that calls them skinny fat needs their head examined.