meal prep ideas for the whole family

Options
So I really need help with meal prep idea for the whole family will enjoy to lose weight and be healthy and on a budget . This is a really struggle I could mea prep for myself and eat anything and be ok but when have kids they can be picky about eating certain things. And I don’t want to be stuck cooking different meals for everyone.

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You can still eat healthy and make foods you enjoy, just watch your portion sizes. Use the recipe builder. For example, if you’re making spaghetti, serve yourself a portion, eat salad on the side instead of garlic bread. Kids have to learn to eat what their parents eat. You could always make higher calorie sides for family members and just stick mostly to protein and vegetables.
  • CwReyes84
    CwReyes84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this tip. I will try this
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Sitting down with everyone and meal planning works. I am the sort who does mine over five weeks, but that's because that way Thursday can be spaghetti week 1, fettucini alfredo week 2, lasagna week 3, baked ziti week 4, and pasta carbonara week 5, so no one gets bored with it or says "Pasta AGAIN?!" . About the time someone is saying "Hey, we haven't had spaghetti in a while!" it comes up again.

My current grouping is Italian meat (stuff like beef marsala and chicken piccata), Chinese-style stirfries, "special" which are more elaborate things like scratch ravioli or homemade dim sum (cause I am like that), pasta with sauce, Mexican, World (Indian, Moroccan, Thai, Caribbean) and Breakfast for Dinner.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    For the picky kids: my person advice/experience is to encourage them to try things, but not force them to eat things they say they don't like. But that also means they can't 'not like' something they won't try.

Chili: is fairly affordable to make. Personally I've been using 85/15 ground turkey because its usually lower $ per pound at my main grocery store. I can buy 3 pounds of 85/15 turkey for $8 and 3 pounds of 80/20 ground beef for $12-13. I use 4 x 14 oz cans of tomatoes and 2 x 14 oz cans of kidney beans and 3 packs of store bought seasoning. If you have a blender, put the tomatoes thru the blender before adding to the pot. The result will be more of a sauce and then the chili will be less chunky. More 'kid friendly'. And this ratio (4 tomatoes, 2 beans) lowers the bean to meat ratio a little also. I don't like my chili to be too heavy on the beans, personally.

Potato soup: in the frozen potato section, look for bags of diced potatoes. They usually say something about Hashbrown potatoes, intended for breakfast use. Get 1 bag of potatoes, 1 32 oz carton chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 8oz block of low fat cream cheese, 1 3oz bag of bacon bits. Have cheddar cheese on hand for a topping, or other toppings as you like. Put the potatoes, broth & soup in the slow cooker with some salt & pepper on low for 8 hours. At the 4 hour mark, pour in 1/2 of the bacon bits. At the 7 hour mark, turn the heat to high and add in the cream cheese block. Stir occasionally, especially that last hour to break up the cream cheese. The other half of the bacon bits can be used to top the bowls of soup. I actually make a double batch. If you have a 6 quart slow cooker, then it should be able to just fit a double.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Just think about this a little rationally. If the family is all overweight, it's partly because of the choices given to everyone. I get that kids can be picky, but if you're the food preparer, they're gonna have to eat what's given to them or they will go hungry. Kids adapt when given few options. My daughter struggled at first with vegetables. But eventually started eating more when that was THE MAJORITY that was on her plate. Now it's not a problem.
    Now if the family ISN'T overweight and it's just you trying to lose, then you'll likely have to make more meals.
    IMO, food prep isn't necessary if you just understand how many calories you're actually eating. Weight loss is about calories in and out and UNLESS you're going to be a food prepper your whole life, using it to temporarily lose weight is like most diets. The weight only stays off if you continue to stay on it. I'd rather you learn how to eat the foods you like to eat all the time, but just learn how to portion enough so you don't overconsume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I second Nooshi's advice! So for me, I tend to plan my breakfast and lunch as individual meals on my terms, and that leaves me to enjoy a portion-controlled version of whatever is for supper (often my husband is the cook). If it is something that doesn't meet my needs (like pasta), I'll make a big salad for the family and make sure I have half my plate be salad.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I remember listening to an episode of the Half Size Me podcast earlier this year with an interesting concept for meal planning with a family - each family member gets a different colored index card and writes their meal choices on each one. Then the cook(s) pick cards from each person. This way everyone feels like their desires are being met at least a day or two a week.

Now, certain meals do lend themselves better for meal prepping, especially meals like soups and stews that freeze well, so you could set up conditions that some choices need to be meal-prep friendly, some have to be week night friendly, and some can be extra-effort weekend meals.

In the summer, we do a lot of quick meals - example: my OH grills chicken and I fix salads and make or provide a starch.

Where I am, we're headed into cold weather meal territory, which often do lend themselves for meal prep and/or freezing.

Also consider a slow cooker. When I worked from home, I would often prep a crock pot meal at lunch time and it would be ready at dinner time. I used bite-sized/boneless cuts of meat for this @ 5 hour cook time. Larger cuts of meat/bone-in take longer. Some of my favorite slow cooker meals:
    • Chicken cacciatore
    • Irish beef stew
    • Korean beef stew
    • Mexican beef stew

Tons of options here:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/253/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/

My favorite crock pot cook book. (These recipes do tend to involve a lot of prep, hence me using my lunch break.)
    https://smile.amazon.com/Gourmet-Slow-Cooker-Simple-Sophisticated/dp/1580084893/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    I second Nooshi's advice! So for me, I tend to plan my breakfast and lunch as individual meals on my terms, and that leaves me to enjoy a portion-controlled version of whatever is for supper (often my husband is the cook). If it is something that doesn't meet my needs (like pasta), I'll make a big salad for the family and make sure I have half my plate be salad.

Yes, my OH and I eat the same meals, but I'll have more salad/veggies and less carbs.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My kids eat the same as me and my husband (except where we have substitutes for allergens). We meal plan too - I find this really useful if trying to stick to a budget.
    Options
    When my kids were small I understood that some adult foods were new and strange, and so we had three rules. One was that you needed to give it a fair try, unless it was composed of things you already didn't like. (Kid who hated mustard is not required to try the honey-mustard glazed chicken, for example.) Second was if you had given it a fair try and it just wasn't working for you, you could request a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and have that for dinner, no drama. Third was that as you grew up, you needed to revisit the things you said you didn't like and see if your opinion had changed, because people's palates change as they grow up. Again, no pressure, just give the opportunity.

This saved a lot of dinnertime drama.

Currently my boyfriend has had weight loss surgery, I have IBS which means I don't eat most vegetables, and my roommate (female) has some food allergies. It usually works something like this:

Spaghetti and meatballs with pan-seared zucchini, and garlic bread.

Boyfriend gets pan-seared zucchini chunks in a bowl, with red sauce and meatballs. He says he doesn't miss pasta.
    I eat the pasta with red sauce and meatballs. (I don't like zucchini.)
    Roommate gets a plate of pasta with red sauce and meatballs and a side of the pan-seared zucchini.

It works out pretty well for the three of us.

• eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The Skinnytaste website has a lot of good recipes of "normal" food that have been lightened up in a variety of ways. I think she even has some low carb on there. I have made a lot of those recipes with no mention to my family that they were "skinny" and they have loved them all.
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really like the cookbook "Cook Once, Eat All Week." The meals are pretty family-friendly and while it's not a diet book, many of the recipes are fairly low calorie. It's also easy to make substitutions (like using ground turkey/chicken instead of beef, etc.) to reduce the calories or just skip those weeks. It gives you a shopping list and I can usually get everything pretty inexpensive - meat is the most expensive part so look for what's on sale that week to decide what week you want to do if that's a concern.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    When my kids were small I understood that some adult foods were new and strange, and so we had three rules. One was that you needed to give it a fair try, unless it was composed of things you already didn't like. (Kid who hated mustard is not required to try the honey-mustard glazed chicken, for example.) Second was if you had given it a fair try and it just wasn't working for you, you could request a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and have that for dinner, no drama. Third was that as you grew up, you needed to revisit the things you said you didn't like and see if your opinion had changed, because people's palates change as they grow up. Again, no pressure, just give the opportunity.

This saved a lot of dinnertime drama.

Currently my boyfriend has had weight loss surgery, I have IBS which means I don't eat most vegetables, and my roommate (female) has some food allergies. It usually works something like this:

Spaghetti and meatballs with pan-seared zucchini, and garlic bread.

Boyfriend gets pan-seared zucchini chunks in a bowl, with red sauce and meatballs. He says he doesn't miss pasta.
    I eat the pasta with red sauce and meatballs. (I don't like zucchini.)
    Roommate gets a plate of pasta with red sauce and meatballs and a side of the pan-seared zucchini.

It works out pretty well for the three of us.

Well done, then and now!
    Options
    And I will add that I have grown sons now who are not dealing with food addictions like I was or their dad is, and who can work out without drama what works for them to eat. One has a gut sensitivity to rice, so he doesn't eat it. One has a mild dairy intolerance, and has had to work out that he won't get family sympathy if he gives in and has a milkshake the day before he's scheduled to work. I think at some point he will decide that milkshakes are something that are more trouble than they're worth (I feel like that about egg rolls for myself) and give it up, but everyone has got to come to these sorts of things in their own time. All in all, I feel like I didn't pass my food traumas down, and that's a victory.