Does it matter when you eat ?

Options
2»

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Adkins -> Bernstein -> Carbs are addictive poison.

What makes carbs poison?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil and not get too tongue in cheek with your responses please.

Thanks,
    4legs
    MFP volunteer moderator
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Human beings do not need carbohydrates.

Maybe not to survive but one could argue they are needed to thrive...
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    People may be able to survive without carbs, but the fiber provided from a well balanced diet, is beneficial for most people’s health. Along with adequate vitamins and minerals received from a well balanced diet. Carbs are not bad. Variety is the spice of life for many of us. Trying to totally cut out carbs would never work for me.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Tsazani, obesity is complex and it is serious business.

We've grown accustomed to immediate gratification. Sitting on the couch at the speed of zero entertaining ourselves with playfoods or food rewards is one of our favorite pastimes. We're passing it on down through the generations now.

It doesn't matter what your playfoods of choice are, our mileage will always vary. Some liked baked goods or some like steaks and burgers and BBQ brisket. We can learn how to moderate ourselves with food.

This is a judgment free zone. I think you're doing great, really. Don't be afraid to change horses midstream in the future. Life is all about learnable skills and we must practice them. We are creatures of habit and we thrive on routines.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    I am a carb addict. On the borderline between moderate and severe.

Carbs for me are cigarrettes for the nicotine addict, alcholic beverages for the alcoholic, or vicodin tablets for the narcotics addict.

Plenty of people have no problem with alcoholic beverages or carbs. And plenty of people do. Obesity is always a result of carb toxicity.

Carbs is society's current addiction craze. Workers in healthcare industry will continue making a nice livings off the consequences of carb addiction.

Only one question for you - if carbs are so bad and cause so many problems, why have our bodies evolved to run on glucose (and in fact, certain organs in the body can ONLY survive on glucose)? Especially considering that glucose is sugar, a carbohydrate?
  • Kiefer_1
    Kiefer_1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, timing doesn’t really matter. Order of decreasing importance:

1. Calories in/calories out
    2. Macro breakdown (protein/carb/fat balance)
    3. Quality of macros
    4. Timing

I’ve tried all different timing schemes and successfully maintained each of them for an extended period of time. Trust me, it doesn’t really matter.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    43un6qzv85ix.png

Timing CAN matter, to some some degree, but only if/when your bigger priorities are completely squared-away. And if you can't adhere to your diet, "optimal" is out the window anyway, right? Find something you can stick to and go at it. Nothing wrong with experimenting a bit to find what works best for you - satiety, energy, etc. If OMAD is what floats your boat, so be it. If you find several smaller meals spaced throughout your waking hours is better for you...there ya go.

Also, no entire macronutrient or food group is poison. "I got drunk and wrecked my car so all vehicles are evil & should be banned." Nope.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    OP- I used to fast quite a lot. The truth is, it only improved weight loss if I were in a deficit for the day. But I could easily eat all my calories and more in a 6 hour window if I wanted to. Timing didn’t matter at all, just calories.

I used to also fear carbs, for over a decade, and struggled with my weight and mental health every minute of that decade. Once I started to realize it was about calories and not about food being poison, I lost the weight and didn’t obsess over specific foods anymore.

Point being, timing and specific foods do not matter. It really is CICO.

Yeah, my partner ate only in a small window of time in the evening for awhile and still had issues losing weight. Fasting didn't exempt him from the CICO equation. As you stated more or less, in the end, intake calories still matter.