Please stop SNORING!

Options
DisneyAddictRW
DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
My husband travels for work. When he's on the road it sucks he's not here with us BUT I get a good night sleep! Yep he snores and it drives me nuts! After the last 5 days of getting less than 5 hrs of sleep each night I was rude and kicked his bum to the couch last night! I had a great night sleep! However I feel terrible he slept on the couch. He's tried switching positions while sleeping, breathe right strips, and a few other things. Nothing seems to help. I can't stand ANY noise when I sleep including my 3 WILD Maine Coone cats that mess around at night. (Yep I kennel them in the garage if they don't quiet down) Anyone else struggle with this problem? It seems to be worse during the spring and fall. Or when he mows the lawn.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    He should go for a sleep study. There may be a medical problem that can be fixed.

My boyfriend snores, too. Not every night, but enough. And then he gets mad at me when I go sleep on the couch because he likes having me in bed next to him. Sorry, buddy, but I NEED my sleep!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been married for 17 years and for about 14 of them he worked night shift. Now he's a truck driver so he's only home two nights a week. He sleeps on the couch when he's home. Works better for both of us. I snore worse than he does, but he moves constantly at night. Don't feel bad, he probably slept well too and that's all that matters, really. You can cuddle and be close a different time of day! LOL!

I'm just saying, it's ok. You both need your sleep. Hubby and I love each other more than ever, but we can NOT sleep together!!!!
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Get him to go to the doctor and get checked out regarding allergies and ashtma. I have very mild ashtma and for about 6 weeks in late spring I cough and sneeze and snore, and it turns out it's all related to my ashtma. Its very mild ashtma, and when I am fit I don't need any medication, but in the spring 'hayfever' season I snore!
  • lottywood
    lottywood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand snoring. It bugs me so much....i feel for you.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Does he smoke?
    Is he overweight?

These are MASSIVE contributing factors to a snore-master.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    my husband had surgery recently. When I went in to see him the nurse (male) said to me "OMG, HOW do you sleep with that snoring? No one here as ever heard anything that loud EVER"

Luckliy I can sleep in the middle of traffic if I have to so it really never bothered me,

Turns out he needed a c-pap mask while he slept. (For sleep apnea)

Now, no snoring, and he gets a better nites sleep than he ever has.

You might want to have a Dr check him out.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    We've been married over 31 years. My husband started snoring several years ago, went for a sleep study, and all is fine. When I was ill several years ago, we bought twin adjustable beds and have them pushed together, so we are sleeping together, but in 'separate' beds. I also have ear plugs that I use if he's really having a bad night. I snore as well, but doesn't seem to bother him as much as his snoring bothers me. We now sleep with our door closed to keep the cats out (we have 4). It was getting very uncomfortable having four lumps in bed with us! I would vote for the ear plugs myself!
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just had to reply as it is the exact opposite for me. My husband snores and I can't fall asleep until after he does. If I go to bed before him, I can not fall asleep until he comes in and falls asleep. It's like his snoring puts me to sleep.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Same problem. I love to have a dark, QUIET room. I've actually taken to wearing earplugs. LOL It sounds crazy, but it works.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh! I've heard a white noise machine will cancel out the snore sound and help you sleep, too. I haven't tried it.
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My "ex-hubby" had untreated sleep apnea.... over the years it got progressively worse and worse and for the last 2 years of our marriage we couldn't sleep in the same room, much less the same bed. Life was miserable, as a side effect he would fall asleep at the drop of a hat, driving the car, sitting in church, watching our daughters concert, basically any time he sat down he was at risk of falling asleep. And even when he did stop sleeping in our bedroom I never got a good night sleep because I was worried that he had stopped breathing so I would wake up 4-5 times a night to check on him.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    He should have a sleep study done. If he is snoring that badly, he is not getting a good night's sleep either as he is not getting to his REM sleep. Oftentimes, a sleep study will reveal that he stops breathing during the night too.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've tried the ear plugs. It does work but I'm super worried if there was ever a fire I wouldn't hear the alarm or if the kids wake up from a bad dream. It's something I result to where I'm exhausted and need some sleep. We're both over weight and don't smoke. He's got a cancer check up October 4th. He'll have to bring it up to the doc and get a referral since our insurance requires it for sleep test. I hate to nag him but I know his back is sore from sleeping on the couch. (Mine was too Saturday night when I slept on the family room couch!)
  • M155AUS
    M155AUS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Apparently all the snore sprays etc don't work as the body gets used to them after 3 - 5 days. I sufffer with exactly the same problem as you and I usually have to kick him out around 2 - 3 nights a week.

We are going to try an air purifier in the room during the day which will replace the lost moisture in the room. Turn it off at night so you can get some sleep apparently. My fiance's friend tried it and she has said it's helped her husband enormously.

My fiances snoring it caused by his weight, but mostly coz of his broken nose due to rugby. But I'm hoping one day to find the solution, so fingers crossed on the air purifier!