Meal and snack ideas for good blood sugar results

Options
Hi all. Long time member, many time poster...new challenge.

I've struggled with insulin resistance since I was a teen. I had gestational diabetes in 2017 with my last pregnancy and my A1C has been increasing ever since, currently 6.7. My doctor referred me to a dietitian, who I met with yesterday. She said I am not eating enough carbs throughout the day to keep my levels stable and wants me to target 30g-50g carbs per meal and snacks throughout the day. This goal she's set after calculating my TDEE is for weight loss. I've been so inundated with "carbs are bad for people with diabetes" that I'm struggling to find a way to incorporate them in to each meal, especially snacks.

What are your well-rounded snack and meal ideas?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Since you've got an expert on deck, I would ask HER what kind of carbohydrates she's thinking of and how she would integrate them into your meals and snacks.

If I'm looking for a snack that combines carbohydrates with protein and/or I might try some fruit and nut butter, crackers or chips with guacamole or hummus, or a vegetable/protein rollup (I use faux meat slices, you can obviously substitute whatever works for you). I'm also a big fan of making my own trail mix -- you can customize the ingredients to increase/decrease the amount of fat and protein to be just what you like. I'm not sure if any of these would be appropriate for you, but that's what I usually go for.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    This page might be a good place to start in developing your comfort with choosing carbohydrates: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/