Eating before morning workout

Options
I have mostly been working out at night after the kids are in bed- it was the only time that worked for me. Now that they are in school and I have joined the Y, I need to get used to working out earlier in the day. I will probably be at the Y around 8:30 most times, and I'm wonder if/what I should eat beforehand. I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I usually have a smoothie for breakfast and then a snack mid morning. It takes me a long time to "wake up" in the morning, usually over a few cups of coffee and some internet surfing.

I noticed yesterday that I had a terrible workout in the morning. I was tired and had barely any energy, and just couldn't do what I normally do. I'm doing C25K, and couldn't even run the entire time during the 90 second runs- that's the first time I haven't been able to run the entire run segments (was on my last day of 90 second runs, will be repeating that workout). I'm wondering if that's because I didn't eat anything, just had a cup of coffee before that.

I want to make the most of my time at the gym, so any insight would be great!!! Thanks!

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have mostly been working out at night after the kids are in bed- it was the only time that worked for me. Now that they are in school and I have joined the Y, I need to get used to working out earlier in the day. I will probably be at the Y around 8:30 most times, and I'm wonder if/what I should eat beforehand. I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I usually have a smoothie for breakfast and then a snack mid morning. It takes me a long time to "wake up" in the morning, usually over a few cups of coffee and some internet surfing.

I noticed yesterday that I had a terrible workout in the morning. I was tired and had barely any energy, and just couldn't do what I normally do. I'm doing C25K, and couldn't even run the entire time during the 90 second runs- that's the first time I haven't been able to run the entire run segments (was on my last day of 90 second runs, will be repeating that workout). I'm wondering if that's because I didn't eat anything, just had a cup of coffee before that.

I want to make the most of my time at the gym, so any insight would be great!!! Thanks!

If I eat too much in the morning, I feel really heavy during my workout. So, I've been having a protein shake when I wake up. Ice, skim milk, whey chocolate protein powder, banana, and natl' peanut butter. I love it. It gives me enough energy to get through it, but I don't feel too full. If I don't have my shake, I just eat a banana and maybe a granola bar.
  • kklemencic
    Options
    I work out each morning at 5:30 am Monday through Friday and start off with drinking a spark (Advocare) on the way to the Y and every now and then I eat a few almonds with it. This is what gets me through any of my turbo kick or cycling classes in the morning and my 90 minute cycle on Saturdays.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before my morning workouts. I don't eat much - just a small bowl of a good cereal (Kashi go lean - original, which has lots of protein and few calories). It's something to give my body some energy and rev up my metabolism without feeling full. Then I eat another snack after my workout.
  • I tend to not eat before my workout, but its just what works for me - I throw myself out of bed and either straight out running, or 30 mins later by the tube I'm in the gym.

That said, initially I used to have something like a cereal bar or a banana en route to the gym (saves time) which is good if you feel you need something to get you going.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Having your usualy smoothie BEFORE your workout could help.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    I get out of bed at 5:30 am so I can get in a run before getting my son up for school. I usually don't eat anything until I get home or else I feel sick to my stomach. This morning I had half a banana because I was so hungry and that was fine.
  • hannydee
    Options
    If I'm working out early in the morning I'll just have a small banana as soon as I wake up, drive myself to the gym (15 mins) and go! Don't think I'd be able to do it without the banana - it just gives me a little something to run on so I don't pass out, without filling me so much that it hinders the workout.
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    Having your usualy smoothie BEFORE your workout could help.

I usually have a banana, some strawberries or blueberries or pineapple. A Tbsp of ground flaxseed. Sometimes yogurt. I'd like to add spinach but the blender I have right now doesn't do a good job at all with greens.

I wonder if my smoothie is really beneficial, or if I should add or change something in it?
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my workout because I don't have time.. It takes an hour for your body to use food as energy so I make myself a mocha first thing in the morning. It consists of a cup of skim milk, nestle chocolate, and a shot of espresso. I read somewhere that liquids are better to eat if you don't have a lot of time between waking up and exercising. . I just can't get myself to wake up any earlier than I already do!
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    one pc of wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter....
  • kk10s
    Options
    You don't want to eat anything too much before working out/running in the mornings, especially not right before. When you run, the bloodflow moves away from the stomach (where its needed for digestion) and moves to you legs/arms to sustain your muscle while you workout/run. Eating too soon before exercize wont allow your body to digest the food properly or completely and leave you feeling sick to your stomach. Anything with lots of fiber or added sugars would not be a good idea either. If you are on a low-carb diet, a loss of potassium could be the reason for your fatigue as well. I'd suggest something with complex carbohydrates and possibly a few salted nuts or something with some sodium and potassium (see Liquid 741's post- thats a good bet to start).
  • KarenLipana
    Options

dont eat or drink anything before working out. Instead bring water and drink it as you workout then have a protein shake after working out with a pc of banana. You'll feel full till noon i guarantee you.

btw, coffee is a no-no if you want to loose weight in a healthy way.

Goodluck!
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    I should add that I'm not getting up and going straight to the gym. I get up usually around 6, get the kids up and ready and off to school, get myself ready, and then will have a 20 minute drive to the gym. Workout, shower and drive home, often with stopping to run a few errands on the way. So if I don't eat anything, I'm looking at a good 5-6 hours between waking up and getting back home.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have found that I have to eat before I work out, I didn't have much time in the morning about 2 weeks ago, I jumped out of bed and went straight to the treadmill, I had get off the treadmill and sit down twice because I thought I was going to pass out! Never happened before and hasn't happened since! I usually eat about 1/2 hour to an hour before I work out, I have a bowl of oatmeal, cereal or some toast and peanut butter.That is what works for me!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am like you, it takes me several cups of coffee to get me going and morning workouts are harder. After some research, I found that when we are sleeping, we have basically used up all the food we could use for energy the following morning. So I started eating light carbs (oatmeal added to my protein shake) and i then had enough carbs in me to make it through my workout without feeling loaded down with lots of food. Hope this helps.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my nutritionist is very firm about eating a healthy breakfast before my workout. In fact, when I tell her that I generally eat my cereal at 5:30 a.m. and don't get to the gym to start my workout until 7:30, she tells me that I should instead eat something on my way there because my body needs the fuel during my workout, and 2 hours is too long.

I know everyone has their own opinion, and we usually believe most strongly according to what works best for ourselves. Everyone is different, and you need to do what works for you. You can read 100 articles written by "experts" and hear 100 different opinions. You can read about what works best for all kinds of different people, and you'll hear various opinions. It sucks because how do you know what to believe unless you have the time and resources to do all the research for yourself. I do what I do based on my experience for what works best for me. You may just need to experiment to find out what works best for you.

This morning, I didn't have time for breakfast, so I just ate a piece of light string cheese on my way to work (my gym is at work). During my workout, I started to feel some dizziness and nausea. I believe that was my body telling me that it needed more fuel (I usually eat Kashi go lean original, so I have good carbs and protein for fuel)... Who really knows - I just know I didn't like that feeling, so I will continue to eat before my AM workouts.

Good luck!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue and asked my Dr. that question (even though I pretty much knew what I should do). He confirmed that I should eat before and definitely eat protein. He also said on the days that I do weights to eat a bit of protein after I workout. So far this has been working better for me. Example: After a long day at work I went on a 45 minute bike ride last night and was able to push myself much better than normal. The only change I did was I ate two part skim mozzarella sticks before I left for the forest preserve. Good luck!
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    I am like you, it takes me several cups of coffee to get me going and morning workouts are harder. After some research, I found that when we are sleeping, we have basically used up all the food we could use for energy the following morning. So I started eating light carbs (oatmeal added to my protein shake) and i then had enough carbs in me to make it through my workout without feeling loaded down with lots of food. Hope this helps.

I forgot about adding oatmeal to my smoothie! I used to do that with this same blender and it worked. Thanks!