How to calculate exercise calories

Hi all,

Trying to understand my base calories.
MFP says 1200 per day. I exercise most days around 300 calories.. so MFP automatically increases my calorie allowance to 1500.
My question - if i eat 1500 calories won’t that mean i won’t lose weight? Shouldn’t i still be eating 1500 to stay in a dedicate?

Thanks for your advise!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MPF gives you a calorie goal assuming you won't do any additional exercise. If you do exercise, MFP gives you more calories to make sure you're supporting your activity. This returns you to your original, planned, deficit.

If 1,200 without exercise is a deficit for you, then 1,500 with 300 calories burnt through exercise will be the same deficit.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    If you eat 1500, burn 300, then your net calories at the end of the day will be 1200.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Please be sure that 1200 calories is appropriate for you.
    MFP only gives you information based on what you tell it and 1200 is the lowest that it will go.
    Perhaps you picked too aggressive of a goal?

Going to put this right here:

pwn62vliay7i.png
  • Rtrish1
    Rtrish1 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you for your replies!

I had a Dexa scan done the other day and my resting metabolic rate is 1280.
    I’m currently 148.5 pounds and would like to loose 8 pounds. I’m 5ft6in.
    I average 300 calories exercise per day. I’m mostly at my desk for work.

Is 1200 really too low for me?
  • Rtrish1
    Dexa -= body composition scan
  • Go_Deskercise
    Are you 95 years old?!! kudos if you are!!

c88zqqtn4x83.png
  • Rtrish1
    I’m not! I’m 41. How do i change this!?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    MFP calculates your goal assuming you do no exercise. Let's assume that based on your stats, you would need 2000 daily to maintain. This is with no exercise.

You set your profile to lose 1 pound per week: MFP says 2000-500 = 1500 (deficit of 500, calorie goal 1500)
    You then log exercise for 300. MFP says 2000-500+300 = 1500 + 300 = 1800 (deficit 500, calorie goal 1800)

So in either scenario, with or without exercise: you should lose weight.

By the way, if MFP gave you a goal of 1200 then you've bottomed out. You have likely put in a weight loss goal that is NOT realistic, as based on height/weight/age/gender/activity level: you burn a certain amount daily. Estimated, of course. If your scheduled deficit takes you below 1200, you are assigned 1200. You may consider adjusting your planned goal of weight loss to a lower per week #.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Rtrish1 wrote: »
    I’m not! I’m 41. How do i change this!?

I entered in this information for you to show you that your RMR is not 1280

s2oaobhfaoih.png
  • Rtrish1
    edited September 2020
  • nanastaci2020
    edited September 2020
    Slow & steady wins the race. Which is more of a journey than a race.

If your job/hobby activity (not counting exercise) is fairly light, then your total daily burn before exercise is probably 1500-1600 based on your stated RMR. So eating 1200 - 1350 would have you losing at about .5 pounds per week. This is reasonable, just don't get discouraged if you do not see a scale drop every week. Water weight can mask our efforts. General goal would be to weigh less on 10-31 than you do now, even if its just a small amount.

I lost about 1.3 since Aug 30. I'm 45, 5'5" and 137ish heading for about 130. I walk 60+ minutes daily, and eat 1400-1700.
    Thank you for your replies!

I had a Dexa scan done the other day and my resting metabolic rate is 1280.
    I’m currently 148.5 pounds and would like to loose 8 pounds. I’m 5ft6in.
    I average 300 calories exercise per day. I’m mostly at my desk for work.

Is 1200 really too low for me?

• Go_Deskercise
    edited September 2020
    I believe you that the Dexa told you that it's 1280 but even this scan has an error margin.
    You are more than welcome to believe it but IMO I don't think it's accurate with your stats

My best advice to you if to enter your information into MFP and get how many calories you should be eating.
    Hint: it's not 1200 lol
    Set your rate of loss accordingly to the amount you want to lose

What number do you get?
    Eat that number plus your exercise calories

I am 34 and 5' 4" 138.4 lbs and my calorie goal is 1390 so I know yours isn't lower :)
  • Rtrish1
    @Go_Deskercise i totally believe you ha i just have no idea what I’m doing 🤪
    I only want to loose abt 8 pound and had set it for 2pds a week. Maybe that’s too fast? I’ll adjust it dow. A pound and see what that does
  • Rtrish1
    @Go_Deskercise i totally appreciate your time and advice
  • Go_Deskercise
    @Go_Deskercise i totally believe you ha i just have no idea what I’m doing 🤪
    I only want to loose abt 8 pound and had set it for 2pds a week. Maybe that’s too fast? I’ll adjust it dow. A pound and see what that does

1-20 lbs - .5 lb/week
    21-40 lbs - 1lb/week

Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Rtrish1
    @Go_deskercise i see! Ok. Thanks so much. I’m going to change my goals!!

The Dexa was so that i could set everything correctly 🤦🏻‍♀️

• nanastaci2020
    The dexa gives you a starting point to estimate your body's burn daily. It also shows you that 2 pounds per week (1000 deficit daily) is NOT realistic. You can get similar with a BMR calculator, though the dexa should be more about you and not the average person of your stats.
  • Rtrish1
    @nanastaci2020 thanks so much. I now see this! Im going to play with my MFP settings