Weight ups and down

Options
Hello

Im a daily weigher but only record my progress once a week. I have been slowing down in my progress the last 2 months only losting about 2 to 4 pounds a month which is early in my journey because i still have 50 to lose. I know my weight fluctuates usually by 2 to 3 pounds my last weigh in i had 6 pound lost which I was excited about but its been up by 2 to 3 pounds when I do my daily checks while I have made progress from the previous week. I dont know why I'm losing so much to than shoot up again. I miss the days when I was consistently 1.5 to 2 pounds a week and I am proud of the 64 I have lost over the last 13 months but im feeling discouraged with the slowness. Its looking like I will be up two pounds with my next weigh i coming up on Sunday. Why all of a sudden im dropping so low and than gaining half back. This has been going on for the last 2 months.if anyone wonders why i focus on the scale is that i made a goal to llse 100 pounds in two years.

Thank you

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you adjusted your calorie goal as you have lost weight? Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) decreases as you lose weight, so if your daily calorie goal remains the same your deficit will slowly shrink.

The daily fluctuations you describe are normal. Did you make any changes in the last couple weeks that would effect the fluctuations you have been experiencing. The first thing that comes to mind is a change in your exercise routine?
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are completely normal (but frustrating) and 2-4 pounds a month is still a great accomplishment even if it is slower than it was at the beginning. Most people slow down their weight loss at some point, sometimes it plateaus for a bit and sometimes it will pick back up.

I know when my weight loss slows it is because I’m getting lazy with my weighing and logging. I’m currently the lowest weight I’ve been since college (I’m almost 40) and I’m feeling so much better than I can tell I’m slipping up some. I’ve not completely deviated from the plan, but I’m veering. I’m working on fixing that because I would like to lose another 6 pounds minimum and possibly another 16.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    How accurate are you daily food logs?

A few months in, it would be easy to start thinking you know quantities/portions by sight and start estimating more. And gradually, the estimates get further away from reality. So go back to using your food scale as often as possible.
  • angelakl2016
    angelakl2016 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    Weight fluctuations are completely normal (but frustrating) and 2-4 pounds a month is still a great accomplishment even if it is slower than it was at the beginning. Most people slow down their weight loss at some point, sometimes it plateaus for a bit and sometimes it will pick back up.

I know when my weight loss slows it is because I’m getting lazy with my weighing and logging. I’m currently the lowest weight I’ve been since college (I’m almost 40) and I’m feeling so much better than I can tell I’m slipping up some. I’ve not completely deviated from the plan, but I’m veering. I’m working on fixing that because I would like to lose another 6 pounds minimum and possibly another 16.

We have a lot in common. I am at my down to my college weight and 38. This is my second large weight loss journey but the change this time was my lifestyle and anything I lose will not be coming back :)
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »

We have a lot in common. I am at my down to my college weight and 38. This is my second large weight loss journey but the change this time was my lifestyle and anything I lose will not be coming back :)

I’m trying so hard to make this sustainable (hence the slipping up sometimes) for my health and vanity. I’m high risk for type 2 diabetes (family history, PCOS, and three gestational diabetes pregnancies) and have a gene mutation that causes high cholesterol no matter what I do. So the lower I can maintain my weight the better off I will be, but at the same time I can’t eliminate pizza and cookies from my regular diet. So I just keep working on moderation and moving more or saving calories for those treats.

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,872 Member
    Options
    All, good input above.

Angel, I have 20+ years on you. :) Definitely, if you are not doing so already, you need to adjust your daily calories from time to time so that it takes your current weight and activity levels into account. I have also heard that change and mixing things up can be good to shake up a body. You could add to or change your exercise activities and try something new. Maybe also look at your macro distribution. Check out your journal and see how clean you are eating. At higher weights, a scale will still respond with sloppier habits. As you go down, if can be less forgiving. Then on top that, what you see on the scale is in part real fat loss, but it is also showing non-fat factors like (yes, TMI) but contents of your colon, fluid retention from salt, carbs, or menstral cycle. So steps are recheck/update your TDEE, do an honest exam of your food diary and verify accuracy and evaluate quality of food selections. Lastly, think about changes you could add to shake things up.