Covid-19 gym etiquette?

Options
My gym has a policy (as it should) that you wipe down your equipment after use for the next person. But do you also wipe down all weights? Some people seem to be doing it, while others don’t wipe down smaller weights (5 and 10 lbs weights). What’s your take?

Replies

• ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would wipe down everything. The safer the better, and even if you personally are not concerned about COVID-19, it makes for a better atmosphere for everyone! To me, it should be seen as a common courtesy.
  • ericigo2015
    ericigo2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wipe down everything before and after, even the pull up bar and stability ball. Wearing a mask throughout the entire workout is also good to do. It can be annoying to wear, but masks really don't affect performance.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Do it and then get in and get out while the gettin' is good. Go home and blow the stink off. Take a shower. Swirl soap UP your nose and through your toes. Gargle. Brush your teeth. You're good to go.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes why not? You’d be more likely to contact germs from touching a weight bar or dumbbell than running on a treadmill. But if you have a question about the gym’s policy, ask the gym staff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    My gym is finally opening back up at limited capacity. It was clean before, but it's gonna be much cleaner now that members WHO DIDN'T normally wipe down weights, will now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I wipe down machines and barbells, but not weights.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think you should wipe down EVERYTHING!! I even wipe the floor under me where I drop sweat.
    It is my sincere hope that ifI somehow get this disease I will not make anyone else sick.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This is why my home gym is perfect. I don’t have to worry about whether or not other people wiped anything down because it’s only my husband and I using it. 😊
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I wipe down everything before and after. But there's still the same people who wipe down nothing. 🤯

Wearing a mask has not affected my performance, but there's a lot of people still not wearing them properly.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Everything. Especially now.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I had one of these tricep/lat pulldown straps before Covid because someone had stolen the one my gym had that I used for face pulls.

Now I take it with me and use it for any sort of cable/pull down work. You just have to make sure the cable column and weigh pin and attachment point are clean. Your hands are gripping something you brought from home.

https://www.amazon.com/IPR-Fitness-Iso-Handle-PRO/dp/B01C3UHN3Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3LSB81YR64ZEZ&dchild=1&keywords=face+pull+strap&qid=1601585210&sprefix=face+pull+str,aps,186&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Yeah, in my gym it was supposed to be a policy to wipe down all equipment, even weights, in non COVID times. Just seems like basic courtesy, if nothing else.
  • Kiefer_1
    Kiefer_1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I had one of these tricep/lat pulldown straps before Covid because someone had stolen the one my gym had that I used for face pulls.

Now I take it with me and use it for any sort of cable/pull down work. You just have to make sure the cable column and weigh pin and attachment point are clean. Your hands are gripping something you brought from home.

https://www.amazon.com/IPR-Fitness-Iso-Handle-PRO/dp/B01C3UHN3Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3LSB81YR64ZEZ&dchild=1&keywords=face+pull+strap&qid=1601585210&sprefix=face+pull+str,aps,186&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

I don’t see myself bringing my own equipment any time soon. But this raises another question: do you wipe down the pin as well as cables?

The consensus is clear, though: wipe down the weights 👍👍👍
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Kiefer_1 wrote: »

I don’t see myself bringing my own equipment any time soon. But this raises another question: do you wipe down the pin as well as cables?

I wipe the weight stack pin and the adjustable slide (which also has a pin), don't touch the cables.

I have a small drawstring style bag I carry around with me at the gym that I put the strap in when not using it along with some rings/straps that I throw over a bar to do suspended pushups. The bag has a small side pocket that I put my car keys and phone in (after I get my music turned on) so I'm not touching those things in the gym.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Kiefer_1 wrote: »

I would wipe down the pin if I touched it, which I usually do. I don't normally touch the actual cable (that seems potentially dangerous, even if the odds of the potential being realized are slim). I would wipe down the handle or strap or whatever sort of attachment I latched on, and the cable-side latch for the attachment, unless I didn't touch the latter because I used the same attachment as the person before me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a "weight wiper" (along with other touch points).

Struck me today that the touch points that don't get sprayed and wiped down are the spray bottles of sanitizer themselves.

Very happy with the preparation and routines at my gym, most gym sessions are limited to 50mins in the hour wth the other 10mins for the staff to clean up before the next session. The staff will intervene if people break the rules.

I did think that some customers were getting a bit careless as the infecton rate (in the UK) declined but the recent uptick has sharpened people's focus again.

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I wipe everything I touch. Even the weight collars and the J hooks on the squat rack. Most people at our gym do try to wipe everything. The staff go round cleaning things regularly and frequently mist all the equipment with disinfectant.

That said, the biggest favour you can do yourself is not to touch your face.
  • Kiefer_1
    Kiefer_1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes I'm a "weight wiper" (along with other touch points).

Struck me today that the touch points that don't get sprayed and wiped down are the spray bottles of sanitizer themselves.

Very happy with the preparation and routines at my gym, most gym sessions are limited to 50mins in the hour wth the other 10mins for the staff to clean up before the next session. The staff will intervene if people break the rules.

I did think that some customers were getting a bit careless as the infecton rate (in the UK) declined but the recent uptick has sharpened people's focus again.

Sounds like a great gym. Also forces you to focus on your workout with their 50 min limit!