Had to punch a new hole in my belt

Options
Just a little background:

I was never all that overweight (honestly, when I read some of the stories on here about people losing sometimes hundreds of pounds, I'm always humbled by it.) However, I've carried probably at least 20 libs too much for most of my life, and this past summer, I decided to do something about it. I got myself a stationary bike, I've been working out and eating better for a little over two months now-- all told, I've lost about 15 pounds and 5 inches off my gut since July. I've noticed some small changes (more definition in my face and torso etc.), but yesterday at work, something happened that really drove my progress home.

I'd been working for about half an hour when I realized I was having a hard time keeping my pants up-- I probably had to pull them up 3 times in 30 minutes. I ducked into the bathroom to make the necessary adjustments and realized I'd run out of holes on my belt! It was irritating (and maybe a little embarrassing) having to go through my day adjusting my pants every five minutes, but it also provided me with new insight into how far I've come, and motivation to keep going.

I won't have time to get a new belt for at least a couple of days, so this morning I had to improvise with the help of my trusty leather punch and knock another hole into my current one. I'm looking to lose another 10-15 pounds, so maybe I'll hang onto this old belt and see how many new notches I've got to put in it by the time I'm done.

Anyway, thanks for reading my dumb story. Not as inspiring or life-altering as some of the other posts you might find around here, but hopefully you at least got a chuckle out of it.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I'm always UP for a rodeo. Momentum is everything. Keep tooling along.
  • newyorkanna
    newyorkanna Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the amazing work! :)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I need a new hole punched in my belt too. I am on the last of those that I had punched last time I lost weight. But last time I used this hole in my belt I weighed several kgs less than I do at present, so I can see that my body composition is different from how it was then: I am slimmer round the waist.
  • SRK006
    SRK006 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone!
    charmmeth wrote: »
    I need a new hole punched in my belt too. I am on the last of those that I had punched last time I lost weight. But last time I used this hole in my belt I weighed several kgs less than I do at present, so I can see that my body composition is different from how it was then: I am slimmer round the waist.

Wow! that's where I want to be. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to get to that point?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

I ran out of belt holes last week too - I was as surprised as you were :D
  • SRK006
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »

I ran out of belt holes last week too - I was as surprised as you were :D

No joke, I probably stood there for five minutes trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! I just couldn't believe it.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Love this! I find it so satisfying when my belt is a little tighter. It's such a great visual of progress and makes it feel real! Well done.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    SRK006 wrote: »
    Thanks for the support everyone!
    charmmeth wrote: »
    But last time I used this hole in my belt I weighed several kgs less than I do at present, so I can see that my body composition is different from how it was then: I am slimmer round the waist.

Wow! that's where I want to be. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to get to that point?

@SRK006: It's not easy to answer that question! Last time I was using this hole in my belt was probably summer 2016, so a bit over 4 years ago, when I weighed between 1.5 and 2 kg less than I do now. I had lost steadily from 2014 and then maintained (sort of - I was slowly but steadily gaining but within my range) for almost a year at that point. My weight crept back up over next three years (first triggered by a medication, then (peri-)menopause), until in May this year I weighed 88kg, which was more than I did when I originally started to lose in 2012. However, I was still (albeit slightly uncomfortably) wearing the clothes I had bought when I lost in 2014-15. I think because I had kept up some regular exercise, mostly swimming and walking but also a ballet class, my body was more toned. Since May this year I have been losing but also working out with increasing attention to core exercises (thank you Bodyfit by Amy!) and am nearly back down to the top of my maintenance range, but already down to the clothing size I was last time at maintenance. (I rather want to stay at this size as I like my clothes.) Good luck with your journey!
  • SRK006
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @charmmeth
    Good luck to you too!
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Love this! I find it so satisfying when my belt is a little tighter. It's such a great visual of progress and makes it feel real! Well done.

It seems silly, but there was something so gratifying about it. It really made me realize that the work I've been putting in is starting to pay off.

• Diatonic12
    Options
    @SRK006 It's all fun. Really.

There are some that throw themselves on the ground when things don't go fast enough. They don't hang in there long enough to get in the zone. I'm here to report it will happen for anyone if you're patient. One day, something crosses over in you and realize you feel so darned good that you don't ever, ever want to eat it all back. You refuse to keep starting over and over and over again.

New clothes and shoes. You go to the mirror and you feel like sprucing yourself UP. You start to care more than you've ever cared and you wonder why didn't someone tell you about all of this. You become bolder and stronger and you're willing to fight like hail for it.

With every passing day and year the ground grows colder. Jump on in because the water is fine. I'm happy you're happy today.
  • SRK006
    Options
    @Diatonic12

You're so right. I've been very lucky thus far; I haven't really hit any major stumbles yet (knock on wood), and now that I've started seeing results, I don't want to stop. Focusing on the small things seems like the way to go, at least for me. If you focus on the small stuff for long enough, the big things will follow eventually.
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new belt, pants are almost falling off me.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Once upon a time I had a boss that looked like Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza. Hoss suxed in his gut to show off for all of the girls because he was losing some weight. His pants dropped to the floor and he was wearing his tighty- whities. Gave us all a quite a show. It was just more of the Shock N Awe approach to everything. :o
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    That's a cool story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!