Food intolerances

Options
How many of you have developed food intolerances to something that you previously loved? How do you change your mindset to not eat those foods and also not miss those foods? Recently I am finding I am lactose intolerant. Just 2 years ago I ate cheese with no problem. But now, I need to say goodbye to all milk products because I don't want to have to take a medicine like Lactaid to eat it. I miss all the foods like yummy yogurts and quality cheeses.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I was actually under the impression that lactose intolerant people could eat some dairy products where the bacteria that have created the cheese or yoghurt have already digested all the lactose. Not the case for a dairy allergy.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Food intolerances are so varied. I'm sorry you "need" to give up milk. For me the inflammatory symptoms created by my casein intolerance were greater than the loss of milk full stop.

I did my research which leads me to to ask have you been tested to discover the cause of your reactions. For some people it is lactose for others like me its the casein- dairy protein. Casein comes in 4 types, 1, 2, 3, and 4 3 and 4 don't tend to give issues. Bovine milk is predominantly type 1 casein, its this many react to. Type 2 dominance can be identified in cattle which were historically isolated, I believe the milk of each cow is tested and then certified. Human milk is type 2 dominant, as are sheep and goat milks so if casein were your issue then sheep and goat could be a way through. Many who have tested lactose intolerant find they can use type 2 milks because they digest the casein better which eases the pressure on the digestive system so it can digest what lactose there is better. Trying type 2 milks may be beneficial in that you would not loose the nutritional profile of milk.

Regrettably, histamine can get into the mix. Histamine is caused by certain microbes, often part of the cheesemaking process. Other foods can also increase histamine levels. Fermented foods are often shown to be beneficial because they raise the microbial profile of the gut, yet some of these microbes can often aggravate histamine levels for some. There can be several underlying causes of Histamine Intolerance which is reduced ability to make DAO Histaminase. One solution can be to increase one's vit C and vit B6 intake, these are involved in the production of DAO.

I think you were probably tested. I hope you can see where I'm going with this. The causes and solutions are often person specific, which is why I recommend having really good tests rather than someone working on an assumption. Regrettably it can mean having private testing.

Wishing you well and hope you find your solution.
  • AlannaWulf
    AlannaWulf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have ibs and I'm learning what my trigger foods are. Some of them are really good foods, but when I want them I just remind myself what happens when I eat them.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to corn syrup and that's in many products. Sigh and alas. I can get drunk on it, you wouldn't know the difference. Give it a break and then try again at a later date in small portions. Take it for a test drive. Reassess.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I developed dairy intolerance around 30 years ago. Up to that point, cheese was my snack of choice. I've used soya milk or almond milk for a while now if having cereal. In the last 5 years or so, I've started having soya yoghurt.

I do eat cheese, sometimes, as I love it and have normal milk in my tea - when I start reacting, I stay away from all dairy completely until the symptoms go away again. A break (initially of 3 months), helped. That has been true for the many other foods I've developed intolerances for - give it 3-6 months and slowly reintroduce.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance to spinach and I don’t care. Many years ago I looked up the other foods in the same family. Forgot what they are, but none bothered me then. It’s very easy to avoid spinach completely except fast food salads. I just don’t take the chance. when v8 splash First came out, I was trying to quit drinking coke and I loved that stuff, but always regretted drinking it.
    Finally figured out why.
  • slytherclawpride
    slytherclawpride Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you have to give up the dairy products you love. That's no fun.

After changing up my diet, I have discovered that I have a nut allergy/intolerance. I love cashews, pistachios, peanut butter, almond butter, and candy like peanut butter cups and snickers that I would indulge in on the holiday days. I'm still getting used to it as I just recently discovered it. It stinks, but I did tend to stay away from anything with nuts before lockdown since I know that nut allergies are no joke, and I work with kids. So I'm used to not having them every day, but I did like to snack on them on the weekends and during breaks. I just had to find another snack.

It's going to be different for me once this whole thing is over and we go back to having get togethers for birthdays and such. Now I have to be extremely careful when it comes to eating certain foods, especially if it's something I wouldn't mind indulging in on that particular day if I choose to indulge on that day. I'm not used to having to ask what's in something, but now I have to ask what's in (or check the label on) certain foods just to be on the safe side, especially if it's homemade.