How do I stay motivated?!

Options
I've tried setting reminders on my phone which has a check list of everything I need to do both morning and night and I just let up ignoring the notification and not checking anything off. How do I stay motivated? How do I stick to a routine?! Please help. 😞 Feel free to add me to motivated me too.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well, no one can actually answer your question as motivation is unique to each person. You need to be disciplined AND motivated.

What specifically are you trying to be motivated to do? I find that looking at the clothes I want to fit into again helps me when I feel like skipping the gym. I’m also motivated by the progress I’ve made so far and the differences I can see already (example, it’s much easier to see my feet with less of a belly in the way).
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Dogmon and Lietchi have both said, those both align with what I have experienced.

You say that you have a "checklist of everything I need to do", could you be trying to change too much too fast? I built up my checklist over time, once one thing no longer felt like work I added something else. Now my list is a bit long after a year and a half, but I also have the same happiness factors DogMom describes. I feel better in my clothes, i'm down a size or two, I'm cooking more and proud of myself for doing it. Etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You make habits of things that are important to do---just like brushing your teeth, or combing your hair, or washing your clothes. Some of the things we do are not pleasant, but we do them anyway because they're necessary. I guess you'll have to commit to things that are important to you. If you're letting them slide then you don't really care. You just need to have a talk with yourself.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Ultimately that will depend on you, and what matters most to you.

Some ideas:

Make a list of things you need/want to work on. Pick 1-2 to focus on, and in time add more to the plan. If you are doing nothing now, feeling like you have to do EVERYTHING right might be more overwhelming than useful.

Put reminders around your house. Perhaps a picture to remind yourself of your goal on the refrigerator or on the bathroom mirror.

Set a primary weight loss goal, perhaps 10 or 15 pounds. Decide on a way to reward yourself (not food related) when you get there. If there is something you want, and you make it dependent on achieving goals, that may help you stay motivated. Then when you get that step done, repeat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What does this checklist consist of? I've never had a checklist...are you trying to do too much? Or even more specifically trying to do too much too quickly? Most people who've had a great deal of success didn't just flip a switch one day and do a full 180 in their life...progress is a process.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had a fatalistic “we’ll see if this works” attitude. I dropped twenty pounds the first month, so started creating micro goals for myself. Lose 10 more. Get under 200. Can I get to 195 in X amount of time.

I made it a game with myself.

Three months in, I bought an insane goal “pencil” dress and hung it sideways in my closet so it was in the way. It was the first thing I saw when I walked in that closet. It was only $14.99 at TJMaxx, so it was not great loss if I couldn’t, but it became the principal of the thing, and I was determined.

I would greet this dress, talk to it about how I was looking forward to wearing it, gently brush any dust off it. We had a close and intimate relationship for a few months until the day I bought some Spanx, sucked in the gut, and wore it to a special event.

I set other goals. Last year’s goal was to successfully accomplish an arm balance and to run 5k without stopping. This year’s was to do a headstand away from the wall and to bench over 100. (PR is now 135. I’m not exactly slinging iron but I’m not young, so I’m pleased.) My next goal will probably be a chin stand or Feathered Peacock, and finish my full split. And I’d like to be able to do the “strength” version of a headstand with a pretty leg lift.

I also find Apple Watch team challenges to be very motivating.

I got a trainer I absolutely adore and admire. I would rather eat my right hand off than hear her say “maybe we should lower that weight”. That’s very motivating for me.

YMMV, but goals work(ed) for me. That’s why I try to keep a lot of them lined up. Check. Check. Check!!!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Oh and read the threads over on Success Stories.

I can’t tell you how powerful those have been.

Even now, I still “bank” certain threads for motivational reading when I have the occasional tough day.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Best to rely on discipline because motivation doesn't last.

• slytherclawpride
    slytherclawpride Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Motivation is unique to each person. I'm also curious about what your checklist consists of. If you're trying to do too much, you'll more than likely just get frustrated. Take it slow. It takes time to build the habit.

When I find myself wanting to slack off, I turn to Pinterest and look up motivational quotes. It works for me.