Senior struggling with weight

Options
Hi, I have struggled with my weight my entire life! I am now a senior that is disabled and my struggle with my weight is worse. I have issues with both legs and feet, and it is difficult to get around. I am hoping My Fitness Pal will help me eat healthier and find ways to loose weight.

Replies

• TLCane
    TLCane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have struggled for many years as well. I just came back to My Fitness Pal and tracking what I eat is helping me have more control of what I eat. We can do it!
  • maureen0000
    maureen0000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 71 years old and live in Yorkshire. I am starting this on Sunday, find it very interesting regarding how many calories are in food. I have a good bit of weight to lose. Hope you are keeping well.
  • AnneRhys
    AnneRhys Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Lots of us out there. I'm looking for peace as much as I am weight loss. Before I kick the bucket I'd like to be happy/content with my body and my physical abilities, whether it is swimming or walking or something else. Can we all be cheerleaders for each other even when we fumble a tumble?
  • ajanet1007
    ajanet1007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. I am turning 68 next week (EEK). I to have struggled with my weight most of my life. I like to eat :). I also have problems with my legs and feet - not able to stand or walk very long. I hate that I can't enjoy some of the things I used to do because of pain. Losing weight would help that so much I'm sure. Would like to have some other people in my corner.
  • klw49
    klw49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kathy. I would like to be your friend.
  • gruiz21
    gruiz21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi... I too have similar issues with age, weight and limited mobility. I found a great online exercise program, Grow Young Fitness which has a one time fee of $20 or so. They are chair exercises geared for seniors. The coach is darling and times everything just right. But even with that I haven't been consistent in exercising and my eating is out of control. So, I need accountability to get restarted. Hope this group does it. I am not quite sure how to refind these groups so I hope I hear from you too so that I can stay active with it.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you all is to take it slowly and gently. It can be tempting to instantly go super low in calories, or cut out carbs almost completely because that's what diets from past decades always seem to suggest. Find nice balance of protein, carbs, and fat, which will help keep you feeling full and will be more sustainable. Don't rush it, aiming for 1lb a week is a nice sustainable pace for a lot of people. Remember that you will not lose weight every day no matter what you do, so don't panic and suddenly cut your calories on half because it'll be unsustainable and you'll just feel bad. All the best!
  • gruiz21
    gruiz21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Giancarlov: What are your thoughts on addiction foods like sugar and simple carbs? I just ordered my groceries but included some chocolate covered yogurt ice bars along with all my healthy foods. i will probably eat all four in close to one sitting... I feel that sugar creates in me a sense insatiability that I don't know how to combat...
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You can definitely log them into MFP, try the barcode scanner under "add foods". It might take some time, and some failed attempts but seeing them logged will keep you well aware of it because it's definitely easy to just mindlessly munch away. I like to tell people that by no means does your diary have to be perfect every day, having it be truthful is much more valuable! By tracking calories vs following a diet that has lot of restrictions, you can still enjoy treats and you'll learn how to make it fit. Maybe a treat in the afternoon means a scoop less of rice at dinner, that kind of thing!
  • ddepallo1
    ddepallo1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've also had issues with food since childhood. I'm now in my 60's. But it was in my mid-50's that I came to realize my body wasn't tolerating my excess weight the way it did when I was younger. I have high blood pressure, joint pain all over, among other things. But I'm a food addict. I'll have some success, then pick up the wrong food and all my efforts are for naught. It's been a lifetime of that. I think it would be great to give support using this program. Maybe we can help each other. I'm past the point of needing it to be perfect. I'm just interested in improving my health and lifestyle. Let me know if you'd like to be buddies on MFP.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    Good luck I'm 58 bad knees, back and hips but regular exercise and stretching has help enormous. I have found taking it slowly and listening to you body has helped me change my fitness levels. Good luck add me if you want.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am soon to be 62. I am facing health issues and need to get my weight under conrol. I have been overweight much of my adult life. I have been working improving my health for a few months and I am making progress. I exercise regularly and have lost about 17 pounds. I want to lose 30-35 more which will have me solidly in the overweight range. I will see what I do from there- I recognize this is not for a few weeks or months but the rest of my life. I just do the best I can each day. Good lluck to all.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Get a kitchen scale and weigh and log every morsel that goes in your mouth. Set an achievable weekly weightloss goal. Stick to your calorie goal for a few months and you will will be encouraged by the changes you see. You can do it!