new here - compare to Sparkpeople?

so a friend sent me an invite to this site so I joined, my question is there anyone on here that uses Sparkpeople and how do you compare this site to them? Do you prefer one or the other cause I'm not using both - I don't have time or the energy to waste my time using two sites so I'm looking for a little help here reviewing this site.

Replies

• I found that Sparkpeople was much better with providing tools (videos, recipes, menu plans), but my fitness pal is better in terms of community support. I joined my fitness pal because my sister and friends decided to use this one and I want to meet my goals with them.
  • I use to use sparkpeople... i switched to this because the app offered for my phone was better....
    I miss some things on sparkpeople like the teams you could join, but I also find I have more interactive friends here... I don't like that on the forums you 'can't have anything religious' in your signature... they've made me change mine several times...Sometimes I can't find the food or I seem to not be able to balance my calories as easy on this site. I find it to be a give and take... All in all they are very similar.
  • inittothinit42
    inittothinit42 Posts: 64 Member
    This site has a better, more user-friendly food diary. Sparkpeople has a lot better information along with health and exercise resources, free workout plans etc. Both communities are great! It depends which features matter the most to you.
  • I find this site better to track foods, and I used both MFP and Spark. I also find the people here more friendly and the site is less cluttered! hope that helps!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I feel that the tracking here is much easier than sparkpeople - and the support is 100% better than sparkpeople.
    Sparkpeople has more articles and information, but you can get that without doing any logging or tracking on that website.

MFP 100% all the way better and I have been logging in for 240+ days straight!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    I'm also on sparkpeople, Sparkpeople has good articles. . The thing is, I love MFP. The support I get from the people on here is amazing. They have become my new family of sorts. I find that MFP is much user friendly as well.
  • M77308
    M77308 Posts: 183
    I've been on SparkPeople since January and I was so ho-hum with it.. Then I found MFP and the people here seem to be way more motivated and they are also so much more interested in your life and helping you succeed and supporting you. I think SparkPeople had all the bells and whistles and everything you need to succeed, but I truly think MFP has the community and the people that make this hard journey just a little easier. I'm never going back to SP.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    I found that Sparkpeople was much better with providing tools (videos, recipes, menu plans), but my fitness pal is better in terms of community support. I joined my fitness pal because my sister and friends decided to use this one and I want to meet my goals with them.
    I find this site much more user friendly and for the most part friendly boards. I do love SP for the terrific articles, recipes and tools etc. as the above poster shared! I don't technically use both but do wander over to SP for article reading and what I shared above.
    Sparkpeople has more articles and information, but you can get that without doing any logging or tracking on that website.
    That's what makes it a nice addition, you don't have to join but can enhance your knowledge by reading and using parts of that site and make your home here.:wink::flowerforyou:

Congrats on the 240 log days emmaleigh47 :drinker: !
  • The community support here is fabulous. That's why I'm here. We all give praise when needed, advice when asked for, and a kick in the rear end once in a while.
  • aprilh203
    aprilh203 Posts: 11 Member
    I used to use sparkpeople, and now i use this site. Main reasons are all my friends use this site and i like the mobile app. Both programs are good, but i really like the support of my friends. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the differences in the food entering and if you eat a lot of the same things over and over, meal creating adn recent foods makes quick work of your food logging. I used sparkpeople for 2 years, and after using this program for 6 months, I wouldn't go back.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    I prefer spark for the recipes and meal plans it has a much better database. But mfp has a better community and forums that you can read and gain info from.
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    I love the feel of Sparkpeople and I like the story of how it was started. It is very motivational, for that reason I will continue to log in there. However, I stopped tracking my food there and began tracking here due to the iPhone app for MFP being better (for me)
    I log into Spark once a day and log my fitness there and read some articles if I have time. i also love Sparkrecipes.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    I remember Sparkpeople from years and years ago. It was free, then it became a paid site and then it was free again. I have had my account since 2007. I loved it there, it was so easy to use. Now, its cluttered and busy. Full of ads. I did use the iphone app for a while and felt it was a great product. I have found many new recipes on SP. The problem is, there are so many users that the groups and forums are a mess. I do not like how they are organized and set up. I find it too distracting. I like the concept of SP, the blogs, the groups, the forums, and the challenges, I just find it too busy.

When I first got on MFP it did not seem like there were many people here. But I liked the clean layout and the ease of use. I have seen so many changed with the iPhone app, and its all for the better. I find this site much easier to use. The support is there when I need it. And the website is not so busy and cluttered with stuff we dont need.

I do still visit SP when I have some time. I check in with the groups and I do enjoy the exercise videos, recipes and some of the articles they have on the site. But I prefer MFP for tracking my food and exercise.

Another one I have visited in Fat Secret and you can connect to others who might be following the same type of program you are. Its a nice site. Friendly. Its sort of in the middle of MFP and SP in terms of busy, clutter and such. I find a lot of people in the UK using the site. I visit there because there is a work from home group that I enjoy chatting with the people.

So, I guess I have a site for every reason, but I use MFP daily.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    I couldn't get Sparkpeople to link up with Facebook, so I came over here 3 weeks ago and haven't gone back. I LOVE it here!!! :heart:
  • My company is using Sparkpeople for a fitness challenge so I started using it (just to track exercise) a few months after using MFP. I've found Sparkpeople to be very overwhelming in terms of the number of emails I received without really expecting them. Also, I find their site to be very cluttered which made it difficult for me to find things. (And I work in Technical Support!)

I understand that Sparkpeople is motivation for anything you want to do in life and that's awesome. But I like MFP a lot better for fitness and weight loss.
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    I have used both. I like the way you log your food here better. SP I find better for tracking cardio. A bit of this and a bit of that. What ever works:smile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I find it easier to log here than on SP, and also love my groups here. I never felt that I got to know anyone on SP or that anyone really cared if I logged in or not. I have dabbled in SP, but have given it up, as I am MFP all the way!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    I have used both but feel that MFP is much more user friendly. I have it on my phone, ipad and computer.
  • rucougarchick
    rucougarchick Posts: 17 Member
    I use to use Sparkpeople. I like this site quite a bit better due to the calorie/exercise calculations.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    I used Sparkpeople briefly, actually found out about it through their "sister" site: Babyfit, where I was very active when I had my two kids. I tried it again a few months ago, before trying MFP, and as so many mentioned, I found it too busy and cluttered. I also like the MFP iPhone app a lot better.