Daily protein intake

Options
Hi!

I was wondering how protein fits in a diet. I’m at ~1800-1900 calories a day in order to be at a deficit.

My question is: since I’m supposed to eat around 160g of protein a day (80kg x 2g per kg) and only a small amount goes to muscle growth. What happens to the rest ? Does it still count as calories ingested or does the body not process it all ?

Replies

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Some of it gets used as energy. That's why macros don't matter it's about being in a deficit. It's important to focus more on protein because it takes longer to digest and helps you keep muscle mass while also being more metabolically active. The only way to not eat enough protein is if you are trying to avoid it.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Consider the macros as minimums.

Of course your body still processes it and of course it still counts towards your calorie goal. People on keto diets eat more protein and fat than many other people, but they still need to eat in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Anything that has calories "counts" as far as your body is concerned. The reason you want to make sure you eat enough protein is to preserve muscle. This isnt just your biceps though, your heart is also a muscle and can be damaged by low calorie dieting if your body turns to cannibalizing it's own muscle for energy. This is why you hear about people with anorexia having cardiac issues. Granted that is an extreme case and it sounds like you are eating in a healthy calorie range at 1800-1900, so dont let that freak you out. Just make sure you get plenty.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Your body is constantly repairing/rebuilding existing muscle all over your body, and it needs protein for that as well as for building the muscles you stress during training.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is metabolized-- but rather poorly relative to carbs and fats. Some people question the "4 calories per gram" assigned to protein (it's a pretty rough estimate, anyway).

People will also argue endlessly about the necessity to eat 2g protein per 1 kg body mass. Like a lot of nutritional advice, it isn't a proven fact that you need that much, but it also isn't excessive.

You can also argue that, you actually "need" to apply the formula to "lean body mass." Meaning, if you are 25% body fat, you calculate 0.75 * 80kg * 2g/kg/day = 60g or protein per day.

But, I don't think it makes that much difference. At least, not as much difference as your overall calorie intake and, if you want to build muscle, your training plan.

Best of luck!