Alternate day fasting combined with 16:8

Options
Just wondering if anyone does this and what results you have gotten from it?

Replies

• loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Watch keto rewind on you tube. She has lost 125 pounds doing keto and this month she is doing a 30 day alternate day fasting.
  • CassieJones104
    CassieJones104 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    This is overcompensation. It results in rebound weight gain with friends.
  • Treblesmama
    Treblesmama Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    This is overcompensation. It results in rebound weight gain with friends.

Maybe, maybe not. Considering that many here have rebounded and regained weight, regardless of what methods they've done, I don't know that OPs plan is any more likely to fail than a different one.

OP, for my weight loss phase back in 2012 I did alternate day IF and it worked well for me. Since then I've been maintaining more or less with different IF protocols and experimenting with different ways of eating. At the end of the day though weight management comes down to CICO. If you're interested in ADF then no harm in giving it a try, it may be a method that makes it easier for you to stay within your calorie parameters.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    I'm a leader on an IF group. 5:2, OMAD, Alternate Day. Been there for years and no one has come back to report any long term weight stability with over 7500 members. I changed the name to TRE, Time Restricted Eating, because that's what most people are really doing. There's so much confusion amongst the terms.

Giving it the ol' college try with overcompensation. It's an antidote that becomes another problem. It's not manageable over the long haul. It doesn't do anything to build a good relationship with food. It's more of the All or Nothing Approach to food. Shock N Awe.

Eat all of the things. Course correct with just eat none of the things. All or Nothing.

We rarely if ever get all but mostly nothing. If you pace yourself by aiming for .5 lbs per week you will always get something. Extremes beget more extremes. Wild swings back and forth and UP and down with weight. Just roll the dice or throwing everything up against the wall hoping for something to stick is dancing in the dark.

• Treblesmama
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I'm a leader on an IF group. 5:2, OMAD, Alternate Day. Been there for years and no one has come back to report any long term weight stability with over 7500 members. I changed the name to TRE, Time Restricted Eating, because that's what most people are really doing. There's so much confusion amongst the terms.

Giving it the ol' college try with overcompensation. It's an antidote that becomes another problem. It's not manageable over the long haul. It doesn't do anything to build a good relationship with food. It's more of the All or Nothing Approach to food. Shock N Awe.

Eat all of the things. Course correct with just eat none of the things. All or Nothing.

We rarely if ever get all but mostly nothing. If you pace yourself by aiming for .5 lbs per week you will always get something. Extremes beget more extremes. Wild swings back and forth and UP and down with weight. Just roll the dice or throwing everything up against the wall hoping for something to stick is dancing in the dark.

I've been maintaining within a few pounds since 2012, using different IF protocols and then playing around with different ways of eating. 8 years isn't that long in the scheme of things, considering I've got many years ahead of me. But, I have maintained longer than anyone I know in real life and have avoided the typical yo-yo pattern. I have jumped around between IF protocols so maybe that's a part of it, who knows :smile:

Curious to know what group you moderate? Could you pm the name?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I did basically the same thing in 2016. It was one of my many overly ambitious plans that I could not sustain. I was too focused on getting a few pounds off and not focused on a sustainable plan. I have no idea why I kept failing and thinking "Gee, how can I make this process even harder?" but that was how it went.

I am assuming you will go forward with this no matter what is said though. You read something on the internet that has glorified this and some inspiring testimonial to go along with it, right? There is a testimonial for each and every weight loss method out there that creates any type of calorie deficit. What you do not see is the 95+ percent of people who could not make it work.

Please do not make the mistake of tying your weight loss to a method. A method can be a bad fit for you but you can keep going by pivoting to something else.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @CassieJones104

MFP is your anchor point. Aim for .5 lbs a week and at some particular point in time something will cross over in you. You'll be in the zone and you will feel so darned good that you'll wonder why didn't someone tell you don't have to follow any brutally strict eating protocols. Ever.

At the 5 year mark, few are left standing with their dream weight. Intact. Keep your head engaged in every step of the process. Stay focused. Stick around and read all of the forum stickies. Learn how to do everything on your own terms.

Give yourself permission to throw all of the dieting dogma and mind warp out with the bathwater. Read the success stories of those who've been in maintenance for years and years. Listen to their advice. One of the greatest secrets on MFP is just eating slightly at a deficit or even at your maintenance level in the beginning. You'll still get there. It will be a slower pace but dropping it like it's hot is not all it's cracked up to be.

Fasting is being replaced with the next best thing. Using our heads besides something to part our ears with.
    Aim for .5 and stay vitally awake and alive waaaaaaay into your future.
  • Treblesmama
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I did basically the same thing in 2016. It was one of my many overly ambitious plans that I could not sustain. I was too focused on getting a few pounds off and not focused on a sustainable plan. I have no idea why I kept failing and thinking "Gee, how can I make this process even harder?" but that was how it went.

I am assuming you will go forward with this no matter what is said though. You read something on the internet that has glorified this and some inspiring testimonial to go along with it, right? There is a testimonial for each and every weight loss method out there that creates any type of calorie deficit. What you do not see is the 95+ percent of people who could not make it work.

Please do not make the mistake of tying your weight loss to a method. A method can be a bad fit for you but you can keep going by pivoting to something else.

This is great advice OP-there's nothing wrong with trying different things, but always be doing something to help you stay focused. If something isn't working for you/is making things too challenging, then move onto something else!
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Igfrie Interesting to read your comments. Your conclusions make sense as it takes at least three days of fasting before your body adjusts and it becomes, as you would say, a "2". Fasting produces apoptosis and autophagy which is healing and produces cellular regeneration. But it takes time to access that level and ADF just keeps me in the hunger zone. 18:6 is comfortable for me, but I also practice intuitive mindful eating and might indulge in fruit/veggies outside those hours if experiencing true hunger (rarely happens). Fasting is a productive tool but takes research and knowledge. Each of us will have our own preferences for what is healthy and will be the strategy that provides success.