Water weight/Fasting question

Options
This may be an extremely dumb question, and if so I apologize. I've been doing some different, a bit more intense workouts the past few days (quite fun) and since late Sunday evening I've dropped just shy of 14 pounds. I can safely assume this is in all likelihood water weight, correct? It's coming off quite easily and I know eventually I'll plateau once I eliminate all that stored water/carbs.

Additionally, I've been doing some intermittent fasting (nothing crazy) and I assume that's playing a role in the water weight loss as well. However, I'm curious about that weight bouncing back-that said, this is all in my control, correct?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what your starting weight was, but if I dropped 14 pounds since Sunday evening, I'd be rather concerned (even if it was all water). That said, it might not be that concerning for you.

If you're asking if you've dropped fourteen pounds of fat since Sunday due to new workouts and fasting, no. You haven't.
  • favabean1982
    favabean1982 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m not super concerned, mainly as I’d eaten a great deal of carbs over the weekend and these new HIIT workouts have worked up a lot of sweat. I feel fine!

And yes, I knew it wasn’t fat, I just wanted to confirm it was just the stored water released from my cells due to carb consumption.
  • Treblesmama
    Treblesmama Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    When I went from a high carb woe to a low carb woe I lost about 7lbs in the course of two-ish weeks, mostly from water retention and then having more regular bms. 14lbs in a few days is a bit concerning, are you tracking your calorie intake to make sure you're eating enough?

Also, if you've added more intense exercise you would be likely to retain water temporarily, causing the scale to bounce up a bit.
  • favabean1982
    favabean1982 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely tracking-truth be told, since I’ve been working from home I’ve been doing a lot of cardio while working, which is great multitasking!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your total bodyweight.

My weight varies in a band of about 3% of the total (meaning +/- 1.5%). I have probably seen a drop as big as 3% in a few days due to fasting, big outings (hiking), or maybe sickness. Anything higher than that would worry me that I'm dehydrated or something.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I’m not super concerned, mainly as I’d eaten a great deal of carbs over the weekend and these new HIIT workouts have worked up a lot of sweat. I feel fine!

And yes, I knew it wasn’t fat, I just wanted to confirm it was just the stored water released from my cells due to carb consumption.
    No because it takes a 4 grams of water to 1 gram of carbs to store it. But YOU DID LOSE water weight overall. Likely because fasting reduced your sodium intake and/or you drank more water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png