How to get the body to move faster?

Options
I've recently noticed that it's difficult to get my body to do fast movements.

For example, I've recently tried step aerobics and even the beginner videos are moving too fast for me. I also like to do dance videos and I can rarely move as fast as the instructors. I'm not in terrible shape as I've been exercising regularly for the past 6 months. But it's only recently that I've been working on these types of fast paced movements.

I am able to do fast marching videos like Walk at Home, but when the movements get more challenging my body slows down.

I've no doubt that my muscles are tight because I'm terrible at stretching, but I am wondering if there are particular exercises or stretches I can do to make my body move faster.

This may be a silly question, and maybe the answer is "sheer force of will." It could also be practicing the same videos over and over. I just thought there might be tips and tricks.

Thank you for any advice.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Out here in the wild, wild west, dodging bullets was one way to get the body moving faster. Nowadays, it's mostly grizzly bears and mountain lions. Keeps you on your toes.

A very gentle and consistent walking and running program can be just as effective as beast mode. You want to stay limber and in decent working order into your super duper old age. Think gentle changes for the permanent WIN.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Practice, practice, practice.....

You learn and restrict movement patterns over time. I had an interesting course of physiotherapy last year after a major disc prolapse and the Physio pointed out I held myself very rigidly and my movements involving my spine were very controlled and slow - a defence mechanism after decades of disc problems.
    The downside of that guarding behavior is that when sudden uncontrolled movements outside my control happened they put me at greater risk of more injury. Missing a step, tripping etc.

The physio was mostly about relearning "normal" movements patterns, speeding them up and progressively loosening my over-control. There's quite a sea change in back injury rehab trying to move away from the old ways of restricting movement's range and speed.

It's not silly at all. Keep trying, keep progressing - it takes time.

PS - a different and non-injury related example....
    When I took up cycling seriously in my 50's my natural feeling cadence was about 60rpm which is inefficient and limits your endurance. I simply kept pushing the cadence up and over time 85rpm became my new normal.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate practice. As adults we often feel we should just be able to jump right in and do things that are difficult. If you're doing a dance workout those dancers have been doing it for years so it's natural because of a lot of muscle memory.

I sometimes teach adults ice skating and I have to make them always slow down and break things down to basics....they hate that because they just want to learn the tricks without learning what makes them happen
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It's like anything else, it takes time. Your body and brain have to lean patterns.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If it's on YouTube, you can slow the video down. If you click on the "gear" icon, you can change the playback speed. I've never tried it, but maybe it would help.

I remember doing step aerobics in the 80s over and over with the same instructor (who was actually a colleague at work). He might change up a few things each time, but we learned his overall style and could even anticipate what he might do next. Many of his moves had advanced and easy versions, too. It was fun!
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hydrate, stretch, replenish, and push yourself.