Zyban/Wellbutrin to quit smoking and weight loss

Options
I am getting close to the end of my weight loss journey. My goal is 23lbs away. My whole purpose in loosing the weight (besides being healthier and all that) was that I want plastic surgery to remove all the excess skin (I started at 400 going down to 174).

To the point. In order to have plastic surgery I have to be nicotine free for several months. I am struggling with quitting so my Dr recommended Zyban which is the same thing as Wellbutrin. Side effects include weight loss or weight gain. Has anyone used this and have any feedback on how it affected your weight loss journey?

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

I think that is the same med used for binge eating....

My husband quit smoking 15 years ago when he was diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer...he went someplace when we lived in Vegas and had his smoking hand lasered!...some treatment center....he hasn’t smoked since...

Good luck!
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been on Wellbutrin pretty solidly for 30 years. I've lost and gained with the best of them. But I wouldn't say it has anything to do with the medication.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Wellbutrin can be used for depression and it does blunt cravings. It may result in a small amount of weight loss. It can cause insomnia and lower seizure threshold. Chantix is good for quitting smoking.

Years ago I was on it for seasonal affective disorder. I think I lost 5 lbs but I could not sleep on it so had to quit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I am getting close to the end of my weight loss journey. My goal is 23lbs away. My whole purpose in loosing the weight (besides being healthier and all that) was that I want plastic surgery to remove all the excess skin (I started at 400 going down to 174).

To the point. In order to have plastic surgery I have to be nicotine free for several months. I am struggling with quitting so my Dr recommended Zyban which is the same thing as Wellbutrin. Side effects include weight loss or weight gain. Has anyone used this and have any feedback on how it affected your weight loss journey?

I've been taking Wellbutrin on and off (under normal circumstances, I need it more in the winter to help with SAD) for 20 years and have never heard of weight GAIN as a side effect. Every time I look it up, I only see an association with weight LOSS.

The SR (sustained release) is a little "speedy," which I find helpful. This is normally taken twice per day but I just take the AM dose so as to not interfere with sleep.

The non sustained release was too speedy. I didn't like XL, but do not remember why.

https://www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Treatments/Mental-Health-Medications/Types-of-Medication/Bupropion-(Wellbutrin)

...Side effects with bupropion are generally mild and often resolve over the first 1-2 weeks of treatment as you continue to take the medication. The most commonly reported side effects of bupropion are headache, weight loss, dry mouth, trouble sleeping, nausea, dizziness, constipation, fast heartbeat, and sore throat.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any effect on my weight whatsoever. I was on it a few years ago and I am now, for just over a year. Neither time did I notice any effect on my appetite nor any significant weight change.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss @gewel321 !

My wife used Chantix to quit YEARS ago with no side effects. I used the nicotine patches, not a fan of pills per se.
    But, as far as weight gain, I don't think its a side effect of the medication but a side effect of the quitting. First, people will try to replace the hand-to-mouth oral fixation with food. Can't put a cigarette in your mouth? How about an egg roll or a donut? Second, after you've stopped smoking for a few days to a few weeks, your sense of smell and taste comes back big time, so everything tastes AMAZING! I think that's where the real trap comes in if you ask me.

But, if I had to choose between smoking or quitting and quitting added a few pounds to me temporarily? I go with option 2 every day of the week.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss so far. If you can do that, you can do anything! Good luck!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You've lost weight so well, I just know you will find a way to kick the cigarettes to the curb! I'm 8 years cigarette-free and let me tell you, it does help with healing. I used nicotine gum for a couple of months, but the biggest help was taking up knitting. It kept my hands and brain busy during bad cravings. I knit pretty nice lace socks now. I had thought to take bupropion for depression this spring but changed my mind at the last minute. Good luck with your journey, and finding your way to quit!
  • Ranchin_Around
    Ranchin_Around Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Let me say something. I was a smoker due to stress for about a year. I was getting ready to have plastic surgery in Dec of 2020. I was told by my plastic surgeon that I had to quit smoking or they would not perform the surgery due to complications with smoking, and blood vessels when they do their panniculectomy. Let me tell you that I went cold turkey, and stopped after that conversation because it hit DEEP, real DEEP, and I knew that I needed this surgery for me to feel better about myself, my health, and many more reason that I'm not going to list.

If something means so much to you then quit! I also was a self pay and had to pay out of my pocket so that was another main reason for me to ditch the smoking.

*Just being honest*
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used Zyban to quit smoking 22 years ago. I didn't lose weight, but I think it kept me form gaining because as soon as I finished my course, I gained 30 lbs pretty quickly, but I think that was also due to the quitting smoking. Only real side effect I had was these awful muscle spasms when I made it up to the final dosage. I had to cut back to one pill, but it did help me quit. I was actually able to start cutting back so by the time my quit day came, I was already down to one or two cigs per day. The first day cig free was fine. The second day, I cried all day long; think it was psychological, like I was losing my best friend or something. Third day on was great. haven't had one since. You don;t hear too much about Zyban now that Chantix is out, but from what I hear about that, I would recommend trying the Zyban first. Too many people I know that have taken the Chantix had the crazy dreams and suicidal feelings.

Same thing happened w/ the muscle spasms when I took Contrave (one of the two meds in it is buproprion/Welbutrin). Unfortunately, the amount I had to cut back ton to keep the spasms at bay made me stop losing, so i stopped it.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with either medication. However, I'm on an SSRI, and some of those list weight gain as a side effect. From being in online support groups, I know Wellbutrin is often prescribed to counteract the weight gain/help people lose that weight, either in addition to the SSRI or in place of it.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    Back in 2013/2014(?) My doctor put me on Wellbutrin to quit smoking. I did not have any depression-related reasons for taking the medication. Unfortunately, the medication caused me to develop depression/suicidal thoughts, but I was able to quit smoking. I quit the medication as soon as I recognized that it didn't put me in a good place mentally, and switched to gum (yuck, but no mental side effects).

If you don't struggle with depression, I would suggest looking into the medication and side effects so you are well informed.

https://www.healthline.com/health/bupropion-oral-tablet#about

https://med.unsw.edu.au/news-events/news/what-antidepressants-can-do-brain-not-depressed
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

I quit smoking (successfully) using Zyban in 1999. I lost quite a bit of weight because it made me constantly nauseous, eating had very little appeal. The nausea was so bad I went down to half dose after a few weeks and I think I remember stopping the treatment a little early for the same reason.

I don't recall any other issues with it. My chronic insomnia developed later.Although I did have one coworker who occasionally told me I was a little too happy to be at work :D so I think there must have been positive mood effects.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I was given wellbutrin years ago for weight loss and depression. I was a smoker at that time as well, so possible yay! side effect.

yeah no.

for me, wellbutrin is like taking a piece of pez candy. had no effect on ANYTHING (intended or possible side effect)

everyone is different though. try it and see if it helps?
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    This is my thread for October. I did get on Zyban. It didn’t do anything really for weight loss or gain. Have only had 3 very small slip ups that were entirely stress induced and I chose to have a cigarette instead of killing my husband. Still losing weight but at a slooooooow pace since I only have 16 more lbs to loose.
  • Iwannabeapunkrockmom
    Options
    Hi there. New here. I have been on Wellbutrin for a month for the purposes of depression and adhd. I've lost a couple of pounds without counting calories or exercise mostly because I think it helps reduce my impulse to mindlessly snack. It doesn't take away my appetite and I still enjoy food, it just gives me the space to be more mindful about everything I'm doing, including meals and snacking. I think that could be how it might help with smoking too. It's not a quick fix and doesn't happen over night after the first pill. I've noticed a gradual improvement in my life since I a started taking it a month ago, which is what my psychiatrist told me to expect.

It has increased my heart rate and my BP just a tad, so if you have issues with either of those things, I would recommend doing your research.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin for a while back in 2003. It did nothing for my weight or my smoking and I think actually made my depression worse. In 2009 I quit smoking using Chantix. For me, the worst side effect was nausea, but that helped kill the cravings.