maintaining and SCARED

Options
so, i've decided this morning that i've lost enough weight. (mostly i'm just sick of hearing people say: you need to stop, you dont want to look sick, lol.) its hard for me though, because i have NEVER been this little. I'm smaller than I was in High School for goodness sake. But I also cant help but wonder what I would look like if I lost just 5 more pounds. (obsessed much?) :indifferent:

any who, I'm not sure if anyone else can relate... but I've been eating so little calories for so long (almost a year @ 1200, occasionally going over of course...) so, eating almost 2000 calories a day freaks. me. out. it seems like SOOO much food. I just dont want to be fat again. and yesterday when I ate around 1945 I felt like hell. :noway:

I'm still exercising of course, trying to define and tone... (thank you Jillian Michaels.) :grumble:

it just seems like 2000 is an AWFUL lot. i dont know, maybe i'm crazy, lol :tongue:

Replies

• ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now. I have been "maintaining" for about 4 months. I looked at what MFP suggested for me to eat calorie wise, but I thought it was a bit much so I raised by calories gradually and have happily landed at about 1500 a day. This allows me to have a couple of pig days and then still not gain anything week to week.

Do what you think is right and remember that it's deferent for everyone so there isn't one right answer. Good luck!!
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Maybe talking to a dietician to figure out what your caloric intake should be to maintain at your current weight would help. I think it is really easy to become obsessed with weight loss especially when it works.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I was told to gradually work up to my maintenance calories, instead of just switching over all of a sudden, because that could cause a gain. So maybe just gradually add 100 or so calories a week or something?
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I am smaller now than in years.. And everyone keeps telling me I'm getting too little. But I feel like I can't stop! What if I try maintaining and I start gaining again!? lol I can't believe I'm obsessing over it.. eeeek!

I would try bumping your calorie intake slowly. Maybe increase from 1200 by 100 calories each week until you build up to something you feel comfortable with. Wish I could take my own advice!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so, i've decided this morning that i've lost enough weight. (mostly i'm just sick of hearing people say: you need to stop, you dont want to look sick, lol.) its hard for me though, because i have NEVER been this little. I'm smaller than I was in High School for goodness sake. But I also cant help but wonder what I would look like if I lost just 5 more pounds. (obsessed much?) :indifferent:

any who, I'm not sure if anyone else can relate... but I've been eating so little calories for so long (almost a year @ 1200, occasionally going over of course...) so, eating almost 2000 calories a day freaks. me. out. it seems like SOOO much food. I just dont want to be fat again. and yesterday when I ate around 1945 I felt like hell. :noway:

I'm still exercising of course, trying to define and tone... (thank you Jillian Michaels.) :grumble:

it just seems like 2000 is an AWFUL lot. i dont know, maybe i'm crazy, lol :tongue:

you need to work up gradually... i went from 1200 (to lose 1lb per week) to 1380 (to lose half lb per week), to 1500, and now go up 100 each week. this week i am on 1700, but oddly i have started losing weight again!!

the first few weeks were weird, but keep remembering the principles of choosing mainly healthy options and slowly increase your portions. i also added a morning snack of nuts, cos thats an easy extra 150 cals per day.

good luck!
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i'm apologetic yet happy at the same time that other people are feeling my pain! gradually sounds fantastic! (why didnt i think of that?) lol.

the snack mid morning thing is genius! i just had some yogurt, and had some oatmeal for breakfast earlier.

i know this transformation is far from over, but its nice to know that im on the home stretch to being EXACTLY where I want to be. thanks everyone!
  • isapedeve
    Options
    You shouldn't feel so concerned about eating more calories and so. Take a look into this: http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/09/us/metabolism-found-to-adjust-for-a-body-s-natural-weight.html
  • Primrose1960
    Primrose1960 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel so concerned about eating more calories and so. Take a look into this: http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/09/us/metabolism-found-to-adjust-for-a-body-s-natural-weight.html

Interesting but not such good news.
  • isapedeve
    Options
    Well, I should had given an example.. hehe
    Don't worry girls.. body tends to adjust to the new weight and you'll keep it. I've los 15 kgs only excercising in two years (that was around 1999) and I've been around the same weight with no drastic changes since then (I mean extra 5 kgs when I behaved suuuper bad, but never again 15 kgs extras). So, don´t worry, eat normally and when you feel you're gaining weight again, make an adjustment, it will be even easier than before.
    Good luck :)
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    so, i tried to maintain and went OVERBOARD. i feel like my old self and i dont like it. this weekend was terrible. i just couldnt stop. so, needless to say... im back on my 1200 for at least another 2 weeks because i literally feel like ive gained 5 pounds. then, i'll go up gradually. of course i will continue with my workouts. not sure why i cant handle it when its up that high, guess my mind isnt ready yet... i think it boils down to this... when i go over on 1200, i know its not really that big of a deal. when i go over on 2000 i have the potential to start gaining... so i just limit myself from the start. i think that will work for me. :)
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    hi there getting those comments at wk also.
    also at this stage where I iniitaly said my gw was 135
    now that I have it I want 130 and build from there
    still a lot of toning to do to be happy. I've had 2 kids too :)

I also read that 50cal+ 1stwk, then 100cals the 2nd and take 50cal each wk after that to a total of 500cal a day.
    so that would be 1200+500 at the end of 10wks, yikes sounds like a lot to me to, but it's apparently the healthy way
    just waiting to hit 130lbs to try it out.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I could have written this topic myself!! I just started to maintain...they gave me 1850 cals, not counting exercise! Essshh! I am hovering around 1400ish from day to day..I did lose almost a pound this week, but am not worrying about it. Its a HUGH step from loing to maintaining!

Goood luck to ya!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    really interesting! ...i don't have to think about this too much for a long time but i am curious what i will have to do to move from losing to maintaining. good luck!
  • emmgr2
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I gave myself a free day for a friend's birthday party because she had spent so much time on the food and I didn't want to seem ungrateful but when I tallied up at the end of the day i was barely over the limit. You just get used to it. Take your time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!