Sleeping terribly since regularly exercising

Options
TheSma11Print
TheSma11Print Posts: 165 Member
edited October 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone, around a month ago I began a bootcamp HIIT class which I go to around 4 times a week. I've always struggled to find an exercise I enjoy doing and finally I found it. I absolutely love it and its the first time I've stuck to anything fitness wise. I love the group, its fun, the PT is amazing and I always feel 10x happier after I have been. It has been amazing for my mental health.

On the downside, ever since I have been sleeping terribly. As If i have too much energy during the night or something? I wake up a lot and can't get back to sleep and i wriggle around a lot. It seems like the sleep I do manage to get between waking up is very light and almost like i'm just shutting my eyes and not actually sleeping. Annoyingly I will fall into a nice sleep around an hour before I need to wake up for work.

I don't feel particularly exhausted during the day, on a morning is harder than usual but I'm just wondering whats going on and if any one else has had any similar experiences or advice?

Thank you

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    You don't say but are you doing this exercising in the evening? My husband had a similar problem years ago. He took a competitive swimming class in the evening and got home around 10 at night. Then he had to eat something. This was intense exercise and he couldn't sleep until after 2:00 at night. He had to quit.
  • TheSma11Print
    Options
    You don't say but are you doing this exercising in the evening? My husband had a similar problem years ago. He took a competitive swimming class in the evening and got home around 10 at night. Then he had to eat something. This was intense exercise and he couldn't sleep until after 2:00 at night. He had to quit.

Hey, thanks for your response.
    I'm doing it around 6:30 - 7:30 on an evening so its not too late really. Should be enough time for my body to cool down etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

I'm doing it around 6:30 - 7:30 on an evening so its not too late really. Should be enough time for my body to cool down etc.

It isn't a question of cool down, it's that you get revved up body and mind. It takes some people a long time to relax enough to sleep. Maybe try a little yoga after and see if it helps.
  • TheSma11Print
    Options
    My trainer at the class i go to recommended trying magnesium tablets, so going to give those a go.
  • TheSma11Print
    Options

It isn't a question of cool down, it's that you get revved up body and mind. It takes some people a long time to relax enough to sleep. Maybe try a little yoga after and see if it helps.

yeah I've been thinking about incorporating a little yoga into my day anyway, so this might be worth giving a go. Thanks :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Might also be that you're low on electrolytes if it's a particularly sweaty workout. A salty snack in the evening may help.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    A magnesium supplement might be helpful --- and I also think the yoga afterwards would be helpful as well. You might also look into progressive muscle relaxation/deep breathing techniques. Make sure you are hydrated enough (not just after working out, but through the whole day) --- there's a brand of magnesium supplement that you mix into water actually (Natural Vitality Calm). You could also try taking a small dose of melatonin. Working out releases endorphins and a cocktail of neurotransmitters in your brain - so even if you are cooled down, those things can still keep your system too active to switch into your sleep cycle properly.

Have a consistent bedtime routine as well. Do something relaxing before heading to bed (some yoga moves, breathing, progressive muscle relaxation) and then keep your bed/bedroom for sleeping only (don't watch TV or work or do stuff on your tablet/phone too much right before bed).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise releases endorphins and others hormones (male or female) that rev you up and make you feel good. That’s why when I exercise in the morning, I feel much better all day. So depending on you body, exercising hard in early evening might be keeping you up for several hours. Can you possibly try exercising earlier in the day? How do you sleep on the days you don’t do boot camp in the evening?
    Are you also losing weight? Weight loss can alter your hormones and contribute to sleep issues, unfortunately.
  • CierraEstelle
    CierraEstelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    After I started running I began having this problem, accompanied with nightmares. I learned from reading online that the high intensity from running activates the fight or flight mechanism in the brain, it also releases endorphins and adrenaline. The advice was to do this type of exercise no later than 3 pm so your body has time to chill out.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Are the classes outside or in a gym with bright florescent lighting? It might be the bluelight in the gym or outside in addition to the workout.

Bluelight keeps you up at night. Most gyms use florescent lights which are pretty heavy in blue light. There are stylish blue light glasses now that block that light out so you can sleep better. MVMT (the watch company) makes some really nice ones. Bought my daughter a pair for X-mas (she doesn't wear glasses). She LOVES them. They look great on her.