Building Abs

Options
Hi there! I have always struggled with ab exercises as I hardly have any core strength and floor workouts hurt my back and hip pretty badly. Outside of floor work and crunches, what else can I do to build ab muscles without feeling pain in my back or hip?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Front squats and pullups are two great choices. Hanging knee/leg raises, planks.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid being on your back you can try bear crawls, walk outs, up/down planks, side plank, plank dips, plank rotations, russian twists (weighted/unweighted, legs raised or down), mountain climbers. You could challenge your obliques by bending to one side and lifting a weight in that hand. There's a whole lot of yoga moves that work your core, pilates probably too.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Farmer and suitcase carries, ab wheel roll outs.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ab wheel roll outs.

I'm so crap at these, it's unreal :D

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Jeff Cavalier (AthleanX) has some good ab videos on YouTube. I'd recommend looking at some of his routines. He has a good methodology to it and they are rather short (6-8mins).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about building ab strength vs developing visible abs, what you really need to focus on is CORE strength (of which the abs are only a part).

There are all kinds of exercises that can help develop CORE strength, none of which involves doing ab specific exercises, many of which have already been mentioned above, including but not limited to squats (weighted or not), deadlifts, farmer's walk carries, planks, hanging or seated leg/knee raises among others.

Even just wearing aweighted cest or backvack while walking and/or hiking will increase your core strength because your core needs to be "activated" in order to stabilize that weight

What you don't need to do to increase your core strength are situps or crunches, which create a risk of lower back injury that is unnecessary given the many other less ridsy alternative exercises available.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ive been reading a lot about stomach vacuums and how that helps with bracing for lifting & inner core strength. I’ve been doing it for a bit and it’s hard but helping. Maybe look into that..
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If you can get to an aerial yoga or other anti-gravity class you get a lot of core work while in suspension. Also it’s a lot more fun than floor work 😂
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I bought a Stealth Plank board. You put your cell phone in it and play games while you plank. It's fun to gamify planks.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Vacuums also standing crunches.
    Tension band side pulls while concentrating on your abs.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I bought a Stealth Plank board. You put your cell phone in it and play games while you plank. It's fun to gamify planks.

I’m cheap. I made my own for about $5. The app is free. 🤗
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ab wheel roll outs.

I'm so crap at these, it's unreal :D

Then they are the perfect thing to practice at and get better :) Good luck.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Any variation done on the floor can be supplemented in a standing position with bands, cable machines and other equipment. 🙂

Lower abdominal exercises may be difficult or require more creativity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If your back and hips are hurting, it sounds more like an issue with execution of exercise when doing them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

How did you make it? I'd be interested! Crunches hurt my neck too much (I'm aware that probably means I'm doing something wrong but no idea how to fix it) so planking is more comfortable but borrrring.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

How did you make it? I'd be interested! Crunches hurt my neck too much (I'm aware that probably means I'm doing something wrong but no idea how to fix it) so planking is more comfortable but borrrring.

Where are your hands during these crunches? Often if people speak of neck pain they are putting their hands behind their neck and causing neck strain.

I do crunches on a decline bench with my hands folded in front of me. I keep my back straight and pull up from my abs rather than lifting my head, neck or back. It targets my abs and results in 0 injuries so far.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I just but a piece of 1/2" wood about 18" sq, made a box with another strip about 3-4" high and glued that to a base. Sat a lacross ball on top of the box and voila!

7mkiw8qu6hgb.jpg
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Where are your hands during these crunches? Often if people speak of neck pain they are putting their hands behind their neck and causing neck strain.

I do crunches on a decline bench with my hands folded in front of me. I keep my back straight and pull up from my abs rather than lifting my head, neck or back. It targets my abs and results in 0 injuries so far.

By my sides or reaching for my knees. I dont put them on my head or neck. Closest would be crossed over my chest. I feel like my abs are so weak my back and neck are trying to compensate...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos -- everyone should give you an inspiring click for that one. That is very ingenious of you. Where do you put your phone at for the app? I could see just gluing a few wood pieces for the phone holder.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have always struggled with ab exercises as I hardly have any core strength and floor workouts hurt my back and hip pretty badly. Outside of floor work and crunches, what else can I do to build ab muscles without feeling pain in my back or hip?

For me, bent over rows made a huge difference when my core was much weaker.