How often do YOU weigh in personally?

Options
I am supposed to be weighing in once a week but have been weighing daily. The fluctuations are definitely discouraging! I will be going back to only weighing once per week!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    See, I find daily fluctuations interesting. Potato potahto, I guess.

When I first started losing weight they bothered me a lot more, but I'm 13 years into this maintenance thing so the ups and downs don't really get to t me any more.

I had to lose close to a hundred pounds. After I lost about 30, my scale broke. I lost probably the next 40 with no scale. I only bought a new scale to lose that last 15-20.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Like kshama and saredsia, I weigh daily and use Libra (the Android equivalent of HappyScale).
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Daily and use a trend weight app. I am used to the fluctuations.

How often you weigh is personal preference.

Bingo! Ditto for me. Can't manage what you don't measure!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Once a week, and track it on Happy Scale. No matter how much I'd like to feel differently, too many measurements make me anxious.

edited for clarity
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use a trending app to even out the fluctuations. I look at the average and don't worry about the day to day weights. Your weight will go up and down, but as long as the trend is going down then you know you are losing. I personally don't like weekly weighing because if your weekly weigh in is high you may feel like you either gained, or didn't lose as expected and for me that is discouraging. The high weight could just be a normal fluctuation, maybe you are at a certain point in your menstrual cycle or had a sodium high meal the day before or you are constipated and have more food in your system. There are lots of reasons that you might be retaining water. If you are weighing daily then you will see that even if your actual weight that day is up, your overall average weight is not up. More data gives you a better average. But it is really just a personal preference.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I also become anxious and a little obsessive if I weigh daily, so I (generally) weigh weekly. Every once in awhile, I find myself popping on the scale midweek and having a minor freak out, but so far, every Saturday I’ve dropped a little bit, if not the full lb I want with the exception of a couple times. However, since I religiously track my food, I know exactly why I didn’t lose those weeks (eating out, birthday celebrations, etc)
  • ThatCookieGurl
    ThatCookieGurl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am a tad bit obsessive with the scale and tend to weigh everyday, multiple times just because it helps keep me in track. I know I shouldn’t, but I like seeing the number go down and I can get a good feel for how much I can expect to gain per food choice. Sometimes it is a detriment, like today, where I made poor choices last night and now I’ve gained three pounds from yesterday morning.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Daily. First thing in the a.m.
    Been doing this since 03/12/12
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily so I can see exactly what is going on. It helps me identify trends on how my hormone changes affect weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Weekly. Fluctuations don't bother me, but to me fluctuations in daily data points (and even in weekly to some extent) are just noise that says more about hydration levels and the amount of food and waste in my digestive tract than about fat loss, which is my goal. I don't need another app cluttering up my life and my phone to eliminate the noise and tell me what I already know.

But nothing wrong with weighing daily if that's what floats your boats and if it doesn't make you anxious or prompt you to try to manipulate diet and exercise in response to the noise. Ultimately, I think your understanding of what is noise and what is meaningful data and your emotional reaction to that is FAR more important than how often you weigh.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily and I just track my trend casually.

Fluctuations are normal, understood, accepted as part of being alive and don't faze me. Each weigh in has very little significance on its own.

If you weigh weekly and that happens on a day you happened to fluctuate the wrong way wouldn't that be more discouraging? ("Oh noes! I've been good all week and got nothing to show for it!")
    Wouldn't it also make it harder to understand why that fluctuation happened?
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Every few days normally. Whenever I remember to weigh after going to the loo but before drinking anything in the morning.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning, and often in the evening too for the same reason as ninerbuff. I only record my morning weigh-in though, and I do that on a spreadsheet that calculates my average over the calendar month. That helps me to see where the underlying trend is instead of getting fixated on the one value. Because of where our scales are, my morning weigh-in is generally after exercise but before breakfast, which tells me where I am going. The days when I don't exercise tell me where my upper morning weight is. I am finding this quite a good way of reminding myself that I am aiming to reach a weight range rather than a weight.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I personally don't like weekly weighing because if your weekly weigh in is high you may feel like you either gained, or didn't lose as expected and for me that is discouraging.

Same. My weight was down earlier this week but then right before my monthly cycle it popped up. Today it is the same as it was a week ago. Had I not weighed every day I would think I had made no progress this week.