Sourdough let me down!

Look at these teeny slices. 92 grams of bread. MFP puts it at 450 calories?? Really???

Replies

• supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    I love sourdough bread ... you may just have to bite the bullet, throw caution to the wind and let yourself enjoy that once in a while👊
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,657 Member
    Is that a particular brand of sourdough bread? All the brands where I live are lower in calories, but we most likely don't live in the same country 🙂
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Since you said, "MFP puts it at 450 calories" I will assume you did not get the calorie count from the package, and picked a bad entry.

"Bread, french or vienna (includes sourdough)" gives 250 calories for 92 grams.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but “SR Legacy” - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    That doesn't sound right. I bake my own half-rye sourdough and yours seems to be double the calories. Are you baking it or scanning a package or just choosing an unfortunate item from the MFP database?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Sourdough or regular baguette are both around 2.7 cal/gram. The piece that comes with soup at Panera is 150 calories.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    Yep I'd agree with mithridites. As another sourdough baker, 100g of my bread is usually around 250 calories. (I've learnt to cut thin slices!)