What is your strategy?

gisem17
gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
edited October 2020 in Motivation and Support
Obviously, to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. MFP helps by making it easy to log the foods you eat. If you log everything and stay in your calorie budget, you should be losing weight. But within that framework, there is a lot of room for individual adaptation. So my question is what is your strategy for making MFP work for you?

Replies

• gisem17
    gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
    I dont eat breakfast or lunch, thereby saving all my calories for dinner. I aim to spend 3/4 of my daily calories on dinner then spend the rest on dessert a couple hours later. It helps that I dont get hungry until late afternoon, and now (after doing this for awhile) I'm not getting hungry until dinnertime.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2020
    ^^ so well said, @NovusDies. There are millions of ways to make the numbers work. The challenge is less deciding on a workable plan and more the innumerable discrete moments of deciding whether to stick to that plan.

My most successful strategies have been in response to observing thought patterns leading to decisions I regretted. Once I'm aware of the unhelpful thought patterns, I can change them.

ETA: subject verb agreement :p
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I have a series of habits that are part of my day. That includes
    • morning weigh ins most days
    • planning out my food, most often a day or more in advance
    • frequent use of food scale, so logging can be accurate
    • allowing myself permission to make changes (to food choices) on the fly if necessary
    • being more active
    • setting goals***

The setting goals is a big one. Not just goals about weight loss and calorie intake. But about fitness. My goals presently include moving enough (combination of daily stuff & exercise) to burn 1900+ daily according to my Fitbit, drinking 60 oz of water per day, getting 100 grams+ protein per day, strength training 4+ days per week, getting 10k steps daily, eating a minimum of 1400 calories daily.

Oh, and sharing your goals with other people. I am more likely to work toward my goals if I don't want other people to be aware that I am slacking.

I update my goals from time to time. Back in June, after months of inactivity, my initial activity goal was 5k steps per day and 1700 total calories burned daily.
  • What they ^^^^ said. I used MFP in the past very successfully but am back again because I've put back on about 40 of the 80 pounds I lost. I was focused on the mechanics of weight loss, which definitely work. But now I'm focusing on the social, emotional, psychological whys of my weight loss so that when I get to a comfortable healthy weight, I can stay there rather than bouncing back up. I love the free aspect of MFP, but I'm also currently paying for Noom because it focuses on the reasons for gaining and losing weight that aren't strictly caloric.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Keeping my head engaged in every step of the process. There's no such thing as the Finish Line.

• adhmrh
    adhmrh Posts: 112 Member
    I have a set of things I do daily and a system that works for me - so far!

I log my food the night before or the morning of.
    I IF 14:10
    I drink 100+ oz of water daily
    I do some form of exercise daily

I also carb cycle. This makes each days goals a little different and give me variety. I also use MFP premium because it allows me to set daily food diary goals. This has helped me a lot.

I am trying to add more walking to my exercise. This is tough because doctor says both knees need replacing, but I believe with weight loss I can push this way into the future. I also do either 30 mins or cardio or strength training at least 5 out of 7 days.

One thing I have also added, is I am journaling my thoughts, successes and struggles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,826 Member
    Honestly, no grand strategy. I ate/eat mostly the same foods, on the same schedule, and have pretty much the same activity level (exercise level for sure), obese steady-state, during weight loss, or in maintenance. What differs is portion size, proportions of the foods, and relative frequency of some very calorie-dense foods.

I:
    * calorie count (most every day for 5+ years now, 5 years at a healthy weight, most of a year of weight loss).
    * use my food scale. j
    * don't do well with fasted workouts, so I eat before working out.
    * need a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, or I'll be comatose for hours, then cravings-filled for the rest of the hours.
    * eat similar breakfasts/lunches most days because morning is challenging for me.
    * eat different number of meals/snacks depending on what my day is like.
    * make up dinner on the spur of the moment.
    * only prelog if I'm trying to tetris in something special, or to see if I have calories to fit a particular thing toward the end of the day.
    * don't eat foods I don't like: Life is too short for that, in a context where I like quite a few things.
    * am ovo-lacto vegetarian, and have been for 46 years, thin to fat to obese and back again.
    * mostly stick with exercise activities I think are fun. I generally did the same exercise when obese - same activities, pretty close in duration & frequency. (I was the atypical pretty-fit fat person, even competing as an athlete while obese.
    * weigh myself daily in the morning, and note the result. I've done this for over a decade, even when not trying to lose weight. (I'm a data geek, not a scale obsessive.) These days, I note my weight in a weight trending app. I used to put it on graph paper (x-axis date, y-axis pounds).

Probably my biggest belief about weight loss is that personalizing it (to be relatively easy for the individual) is very important, and that it's a good idea to spend all or a big chunk of the weight loss time period figuring out ways of eating and moving that will be sustainable permanently to stay at a healthy weight long term. Since I'm in year 5 of maintenance, after around 30 years previously of obesity, that's working pretty well, so far, for me.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    edited October 2020
    I think I’ve finally found a program that I am most comfortable with that works for me.

One thing I did recently was up my calorie intake on MFP. I was only looking to lose about 15 lbs so I started with 1 lb a week loss as a goal. 1200 calories a day actually stressed me out. I only lost 5 lbs this past year of being on MFP. I was always anxious about staying at or below 1200 calories and felt like I couldn’t eat what I wanted. I changed my goal to lose .5 a week which put me at 1520 calories. I rarely get to 1500 calories unless it’s a cheat day. I’ve since lost 2 lbs. Honestly, I prefer slow weight loss. Im not in any hurry, it’s less stressful, plus I’m at a size 8 so I’m pretty happy with the way I look. If I lose the remaining 8 lbs great, if not, no biggie.

Make conscious food choices and eat in moderation. I like to eat and I don’t deny myself anything. Also, at 49 y/o I’ve accepted the fact that I do not like vegetables and will not eat them on a regular basis. I’m happier eating what I want but in moderation.

I stopped eating breakfast. I find I’m more alert when I don’t have it, I have less brain fog and more energy. Instead, I’ll eat a smaller meal around 10am. I also have a sweet tooth. Chewing sugar free gum helps with that but I’ll either have a treat at the end of the day or save it for the weekend and indulge in a bag of orange slices candy (my weakness).

Burn off extra calories and eat less to make up for the extra calories. For instance, if I gotta have that snickers bar or 20oz Coke, I either make sure I workout that day or eat 250 calories less. I think it helps that I LOVE to exercise so I’m happy burning off extra calories.

Weigh in every day to keep myself on track.

Vary my workouts because I get bored easily. I do a mix of cardio and strength training. I’ve gotten great results with hiit so I’m going to stick with that for a while.