Contrave anyone?

Options
Started contrave a couple weeks ago, curious if anyone else has and is being successful on it. I'm eating better but not sure if it's that lol

Replies

• mks0720
    mks0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to take contrave. It worked well but I didn’t like taking the medicine. Definitely don’t forget your water!
  • jlsarau
    jlsarau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been taking it since March and I have definitely seen a reduction of my cravings and improvement in keeping my daily calories where I want them to be. It hasn’t translated in to any real loss yet, but I don’t think that’s anything to do with the Contrave I’m allergic to mold and am getting tested to see if that is what’s keeping the weight from coming off.
  • Firefly743
    Firefly743 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Started contrave a couple weeks ago, curious if anyone else has and is being successful on it. I'm eating better but not sure if it's that lol

I was on Contrave a couple of years ago. I was on it for about 5 months and lost about 55 pounds. I feel like it definitely helped me with cravings!! And it's funny, I often wondered if it was really working, or if it was me that was just making better choices. Well, life got in the way and I stopped taking the meds, I gained all of the weight back...and an extra 15. So I'm going to say it was the meds that were really working for me. And while I was successful over those 5 months, it wasn't nearly long enough for me to make good habits.

So stick with what you're doing - especially with the better eating habits! :wink:
  • scarffandrea
    scarffandrea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 2nd week of taking Contrave and the nauseated feeling is extremely intense. How bad was it for all of you?
  • Firefly743
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are feeling nauseous! That is absolutely NO FUN! I didn't experience that with Contrave. I would suggest calling your doctor and asking them what their recommendation is. Perhaps it will subside soon, or they may have a suggestion on how to combat it for the short term. Best of luck - I really hope it goes away soon!
  • scarffandrea
    Options
    Firefly743 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you are feeling nauseous! That is absolutely NO FUN! I didn't experience that with Contrave. I would suggest calling your doctor and asking them what their recommendation is. Perhaps it will subside soon, or they may have a suggestion on how to combat it for the short term. Best of luck - I really hope it goes away soon!

So they told me to stick to one pill a day until three weeks and then move to two pills. They said it is different with everyone and I am probably the low percentile that can not have the doses... lol just my luck lol
  • Firefly743
    Options
    @scarffandrea I'm glad you talked to the doc! I know it's frustrating - but hang in there. But just know that if you can't do Contrave anymore, it's OK!! There are other options.

Let me give you the short version of my story with these meds...

A few years ago I was on Contrave and I did great - no problems at all! Life happened and I stopped taking them. Then this year I refocused and restarted my efforts to lose weight. I knew Contrave worked for me before, so I wanted to try it again, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it was just too expensive. So my doc wrote prescriptions for the two meds that make up Contrave - this saved me TONS of money by doing it this way. BUT, this way, I was nauseous and violently vomiting. I couldn't stand to take it one more day. I was frustrated!!!

I talked to my doc and we talked through other options. One of which is Qysmia. Again, my insurance doesn't cover it and it would be expensive - so we are going the route of two meds, phentermine and topiramate. I am doing great on that one. The only side effect I have had is a bit of dry mouth. But really, it helps me to drink more water...which I needed to do that anyway. LOL

So don't give up. If at any point you think you can't handle the Contrave, talk to your doc about other options. There are other options. In the meantime, keep working your butt off - because that's the foundation for all of this.

Holler if you need anything! :) Keep me posted on how your are doing. Feel free to send a friend request if you like.
  • Jenmeg1978
    Jenmeg1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Contrave since End of August and my first month I actually lost like 20 pounds. I mainly just take the pill once a day after dinner time and watch my calories(1600) and I have started to incorporate more exercise(my bike as become my friend). I take it after dinner time because the binge monster would come out like an hour after dinner. This medication has helped keep that at bay really well. I am thinking of doing one pill in the morning and one at night but i am so afraid it is going to make me too drowsy. Where I work I cannot be tired or sluggish, that is why I liked it at night. At first I did not exercise and still lost weight but I feel better when I started exercising. Definitely drink your water because for one you will have terrible dry mouth and two I can tell when i don't drink enough with the medication because i end up with a terrible headache.
  • scarffandrea
    Options
    Firefly743 wrote: »
    @scarffandrea I'm glad you talked to the doc! I know it's frustrating - but hang in there. But just know that if you can't do Contrave anymore, it's OK!! There are other options.

Let me give you the short version of my story with these meds...

A few years ago I was on Contrave and I did great - no problems at all! Life happened and I stopped taking them. Then this year I refocused and restarted my efforts to lose weight. I knew Contrave worked for me before, so I wanted to try it again, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it was just too expensive. So my doc wrote prescriptions for the two meds that make up Contrave - this saved me TONS of money by doing it this way. BUT, this way, I was nauseous and violently vomiting. I couldn't stand to take it one more day. I was frustrated!!!

I talked to my doc and we talked through other options. One of which is Qysmia. Again, my insurance doesn't cover it and it would be expensive - so we are going the route of two meds, phentermine and topiramate. I am doing great on that one. The only side effect I have had is a bit of dry mouth. But really, it helps me to drink more water...which I needed to do that anyway. LOL

So don't give up. If at any point you think you can't handle the Contrave, talk to your doc about other options. There are other options. In the meantime, keep working your butt off - because that's the foundation for all of this.

Holler if you need anything! :) Keep me posted on how your are doing. Feel free to send a friend request if you like.

By any chance, did it give you anxiety? I've noticed anxiety in me has heightened, and was not sure if anyone else has gotten it. Is it just me or am I having extremely bad luck with this med?? Lol
  • Firefly743
    Options
    @scarffandrea Oh geez!!! I did NOT notice that at all! I think now may be a good time to check in with the doc. LOL. I think maybe you are just having really bad luck with this med. 😞 May be time to see if other meds might be a better fit for you?
  • maabt1
    maabt1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone new taking Contrave-the posts I am reading are over 3 years old...I just started today and I am looking for support.