Exercise I can watch TV to?

Options
I have a step platform and I've been doing simple step-up-and down on it. It works pretty well and is so easy to get in because I can do it at home in front of the TV and it is more intensive than walking, which I also do.

Anyway, I worry about repetitive stress doing the same thing like that so much. What else would fit that bill? The difficulty is I can't afford and don't have room for an eliptical or a treadmill. Do you think something like a simple exercycle would be 1) available 2) safe and 3) no too expensive. I think something like that would take up less room than an eliptical or a treadmill, neither of which I could afford anyway.

Replies

• girlypop
    Options
    try an exercise ball so u can do crunches and other core work
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should make exercise the main priority, regardless of what kind, instead of your television.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you already have a bicycle, you could buy an indoor trainer to turn it into a stationary bike. See this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Motivator-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000AAYBWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315495522&sr=8-1

You may also be able to find one on Craigslist for half the price, good luck!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent stationary bike at home and I love it. I use it on the days I don't run, since it's low impact. I usually just put a DVD in my computer (it's in my computer room, not the living room) or find something online (Hulu, Netflix, Xfinity, HBO2Go, etc.) and ride for anywhere between 45 and 90 minutes. It does take up a little more floorspace than an upright bike, however.
  • kjordan2130
    Options
    get a rebounder (mini trampoline) and youtube Tracy Anderson Rebounder workout. You can bounce and do the routine while still getting your heart rate up, watch TV, hardly any impact on your joints!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    This is a good thing for small space workouts. I use it when I travel and am in hotel rooms.

http://www.amazon.com/FitDeck-Bodyweight/dp/B000UEP0NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315495591&sr=8-1

And you need NO equipment. I usually pick three cards and do each for 30-60 seconds and do 3 sets. Then do two minutes of cardio -- stepping, jump squats, jumping jacks, etc. Then three more cards. You get the drift......
  • Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Exercise ball, jump roping, jumping jacks, running in place, tuck jumps, hula hooping, I do all sorts of things right in front of my tv! :) Good luck to you!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I like my recumbant bike as I can read or watch TV, and it takes less space than a treadmill or elliptical. In front of the tv, I sometimes march in place, do yoga stretches, some reps with hand weights.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You could check on freecycle for a treadmill or an exercise bike. They even have those pedal things that you can use right in your living room while sitting on the sofa or recliner!
    Try some dance games if you have an Xbox Kinect. Workout with an aerobics video (watching TV while exercising).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should make exercise the main priority, regardless of what kind, instead of your television.
    Isn't this making a judgement call you don't have the information to make? She isn't saying that the exercise isn't the main point. I know that I personally choose to use my low-impact exercise time as the chance to watch my favorite TV shows or a movie. It's a bit boring to just ride a stationary bike for 90 minutes if you don't have something to occupy your mind.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

I think anything that makes working out more enjoyable and something you will continue doing is well worth it. Why do you think so many health clubs have tvs either mounted all over or built into the machines??? For me, anything that takes my mind off the fact I am working out - is a positive thing!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    No need for any real equipment really. Your profile mentions your 63 year old Mom who does Martial arts. Why not try some of the same? (Speaking as a former martial artist myself)

If you're watching TV, do 20 press-ups every commercial break...then some free body weight only squats, keeping your back straight and touching your palm to the floor (Think: Horse Riding Stance).

Then some Lunges, leg lifts or Ab Crunches

Sitting on a swiss ball instead of the couch is great too! Your body will adapt to whatever challenges you ask of it.

Cheers!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You can walk or jog in place...What works for me though is to record what I want to watch on the DVR, then I go out and get a good sweat drenched exercise outside, then come back and crash in front of the TV so I can concentrate on what I am watching without worrying about burning calories, but that is because I cannot multi-task.
  • gtgarrison
    gtgarrison Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Buy some bicycle rollers (I have Kreitler brand) and ride your bicycle while watching TV.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Get a set of weights and do some resistance training.
    Do the 30 day shred.
    Get any exercise video.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Since you already have a step platform, maybe you could google exercises for it or get a DVD from the library. Once you learn the new moves then you can do them on your own while watching TV.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I often have to do workouts at home since I can't really leave when by baby takes naps. I have a Nordic Track ski machine--to me it's much smaller than a treadmill or elliptical. It can break down to be pretty compact. It doesn't use electricity, and I found mine on Craigslist for $50. They burn more calories than an elliptical or treadmill.

I also just got a foam roller for $25 from Amazon.com which I just learned can be used for workouts as well.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'm sorry I left this for so long but I've been busy. I really like the Nordic Track ideal. I have an antique bed that sits very high. I could easily put a Nordic Track under that.

As to the focusing on exercise, I've got to do what is sustainable to me and sustainable on a daily basis. This means walking while listening to an audiobook or getting on the step platform in front of the TV and getting on the step platform often wins out because I don't like the heat outside and I burn more calories in less time. I just don't want repetitive stress on the knees and would like some variety. I have a workout DVD with a 20-min toning segment I would like to do with my 2lb handweights but it keeps not happening. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I'll do it when I get home tonight. :)

I should also note that I have a pretty crazy schedule. I am at work for 8.5 hrs (lunch is unpaid) and have a 1 hr 15 min commute each way. That is 12 hours I'm away from home and I sleep for about 7 hours (hopefully) at night, so that's 19 hours right there. The remaing 5 hours are for cleaning (the house and myself), preparing meals, taking care of the cats, yard work, exercising, etc. I am not going to do it if I can't multitask and get some entertainment in at the same time. It has worked for me so far and I am trying not to whine, I know others have difficult schedules, too, probably some more than mine. I'm just saying.

Thanks again, Melmade for the Nordic Track idea!
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    Oh, Melmade, I just emailed a lady that had a $50 Nordic Track for sale in my area. Hopefully I can get it and enjoy it. Thanks again.