Jogging before work/school?

Any tips on how to run before class if u don't have time to shower? Gross, I know, but I have an hour and half between classes 2 days a week and I would love to utilize that time without being the stinky kid in class. Thanks. :-)

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Sorry- I think you either need to save some of that time for a shower, or else stick to walking. If you arent stinky at the end of a run, you aren't working hard enough :Smile:
  • an hour's walking, just at a normal 3mph pace, will still burn lots of cals and leave you not looking/smelling gross, hopefully :D
  • Maybe carry some moist towlettes and deodorant and clean up a bit in the bathroom before class?
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 577 Member
    Buy some body wash wipes and get a small thing of baby powder for your hair - and of course, get a travel size deodorant!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I don't think there's a way to get a good workout in without smelling like you got one in =) some people sweat more than others, true, but it doesn't sound comfortable either.....I'd either do a brisk walk, or save time for a shower. Don't you have access to the gym and locker rooms at school? I have access to mine, even though I'm in no sports classes or teams......
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    i'm biking to school today. in 30+ degrees and sun, i'm sure i'll be getting a little stinky! bring an extra shirt/bra to change into, apply fresh deoderant, and sit closest to an open window in class. you'll be fine :o)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Just be the stinky girl :) Keep your workout clothes on so it is obvious why you are sweaty. Who knows, maybe you will inspire someone else. I go to the gym in my office building at lunch, and I take a shower after but don't wash my hair - no time. Oh well. NPR had a story a week or so ago about how women sacrifice their health for their hair - they don't take time to exercise and be healthy because of all the work it takes to shower, get ready etc twice in a day. Let's not be those people! I'd rather be healthy and stinky :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Do you live on campus? Is it possible to take a 2 minute shower without washing your hair? For me at least, my hair is what takes the longest when I'm getting ready. If you just have a ponytail, you're good to go.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Sorry- I think you either need to save some of that time for a shower, or else stick to walking. If you arent stinky at the end of a run, you aren't working hard enough :Smile:

What she said....
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Do you live on campus? Is it possible to take a 2 minute shower without washing your hair? For me at least, my hair is what takes the longest when I'm getting ready. If you just have a ponytail, you're good to go.

what I was going to say..any run , even 20 mins is better then no run
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I would suggest the towelettes, as well. Check Target or Walmart in the health and beauty section. You should be able to find cleansing towelettes you can carry in your purse or a gym bag. If they're big enough, the facial cleansing kind would be fine or you could probably even use baby wipes, but you might want to use the unscented kind.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    You can burn soo many cals in a half hour run... It's kind of insane actually... So maybe you could use an hour of that 90 minutes to clean up?
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    HAHAHA! Sorry. No matter what you do, you will have that "outside" smell on you. Wake up a bit earlier to get that run in and have time to shower. I would wake up at 5:30 to get my workouts in. Granted, I didn't sleep much, but well worth the rewards. Good luck.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Body Spray and refresh deodorant. Sit in the back of the classroom. I generally only run at lunch when it's not a super hot day. Presently, it's still 90's by lunch so I'm not getting the opportunity, but looking for to this winters runs.
  • what about getting baby wipes/wet ones and just wiping yourself off before class, throwing your hair up in a hot mess, and utilizing some good smelling body spray? i'm sure that's more effort than the kids put forth that come to class in their pj's :)
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Just be the stinky girl :) Keep your workout clothes on so it is obvious why you are sweaty. Who knows, maybe you will inspire someone else. I go to the gym in my office building at lunch, and I take a shower after but don't wash my hair - no time. Oh well. NPR had a story a week or so ago about how women sacrifice their health for their hair - they don't take time to exercise and be healthy because of all the work it takes to shower, get ready etc twice in a day. Let's not be those people! I'd rather be healthy and stinky :flowerforyou:

That's exactly my issue! I have to straighten my hair at this length, because I regrettably cut it, and it looks horrible when I let it go curly unless it's longer.. I don't think straightening twice a day is the way to get it healthy and long. lol I actually run at home on the treadmill in the air conditioning to avoid sweating as MUCH as I otherwise would. Maybe I'll try showering with a shower cap.
  • monicainacoma
    You can burn soo many cals in a half hour run... It's kind of insane actually... So maybe you could use an hour of that 90 minutes to clean up?

This is so true.. I'm working on getting to the point that I can actually sustain running for that long.. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to get in a 25-30 minute run, because I do a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down.. and one or two breaks depending on my mood and willpower. lol
  • monicainacoma
    HAHAHA! Sorry. No matter what you do, you will have that "outside" smell on you. Wake up a bit earlier to get that run in and have time to shower. I would wake up at 5:30 to get my workouts in. Granted, I didn't sleep much, but well worth the rewards. Good luck.

I've tried waking up early to work out.. I would kill to be a morning person.. ugh. but my biggest issue is morning stiffness.. My Achilles tendons are never ready to go first thing in the morning.. always very stiff.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member

Thanks for sharing. Just listening to this NPR story online now. Very interesting.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member

This is so true.. I'm working on getting to the point that I can actually sustain running for that long.. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to get in a 25-30 minute run, because I do a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down.. and one or two breaks depending on my mood and willpower. lol

Get a C25K program. Do you have an iPhone or android or blackberry? You can download them!