Weighing food

Options
Hi guys,

How do you know what’s the exact amount of calories you are eating? Do you weigh each and every ingredient while cooking? Which means you cook separate meals for yourself?

I kind of search for a particular food on MFP and log the approximate amount I might have eaten. But i have a friend who quantifies everything she eats. Sounds a big task to me. I might end up in kitchen all day!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do for most things but not all. For example my job provides us lunch every day so I don’t weigh that I just guess in volume to the best of my knowledge.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe calculator. You log the ingredients for the entire dish, weigh the finished dish, and enter the number of servings (many people enter the weight in grams of the entire dish as the number of servings and use the weight in grams of their portion as the number of servings they consumed. That way you don't have to cook separate meals for yourself.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    slimshweta wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How do you know what’s the exact amount of calories you are eating? Do you weigh each and every ingredient while cooking? Which means you cook separate meals for yourself?

I kind of search for a particular food on MFP and log the approximate amount I might have eaten. But i have a friend who quantifies everything she eats. Sounds a big task to me. I might end up in kitchen all day!

Any suggestions?

I weigh everything. Pretty much the only way in my view, for me in any case, and it takes no significant time as you get more practice.

And if you are making a recipe, just weight all the individual ingredients to give a total calorie count and then weigh your portion to find how many calories just that amount contains.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things most of the time, but not everything all of the time. I almost always get to eat more when I weigh food rather than using measuring cups/spoons or estimations. Other people seem to have the opposite problem.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh what I eat. After I cook something once, I do not have to re-measure the second time.
  • slimshweta
    slimshweta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Weighing all the ingredients and then weighing my portion seems a good option rather than cooking separately