Nighttime Hunger

Options
Lately, I have been eating too many calories in the evening. I will eat my dinner at around 7 pm, then piece-meal all evening until I go to bed.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within calories there's nothing wrong with that.

If it's pushing you over your calories, maybe you aren't eating enough during the day or not getting enough of the right nutrition.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Perhaps that dinner is too carb heavy for your body, meaning you spike insulin, drop blood sugar too low, and now feel hungry when you really have eaten enough.

Normally in the evening that causes some tiredness too - you feel a tad tired 30-60 min after the meal, and snack to help stay awake too while feeling hungry?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If you're really hungry snack on some plain carrots. If that doesn't appeal to you, you're not really hungry.
  • Alexandriakay676
    Alexandriakay676 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am the same, healthy 3 meals, but then nighttime snacky cravings kick in.... i try all the "stuff" they say, tonnes of water, lots of veggies, tracking cals, no junk in the house... but i still desire snacks and that full feeling. So far its shear will power at this point. Been having fruit or jello with whip cream, 40 cals per serving! Or my go to is air pop popped corn but i have to be careful of my butter and salt amounts. Curious what people have later in the evening as their snack.... i have a few "friends" on here, but could use a few more. Seeking inspiration! Help!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am the same, healthy 3 meals, but then nighttime snacky cravings kick in.... i try all the "stuff" they say, tonnes of water, lots of veggies, tracking cals, no junk in the house... but i still desire snacks and that full feeling. So far its shear will power at this point. Been having fruit or jello with whip cream, 40 cals per serving! Or my go to is air pop popped corn but i have to be careful of my butter and salt amounts. Curious what people have later in the evening as their snack.... i have a few "friends" on here, but could use a few more. Seeking inspiration! Help!

I respond well to high protein, high fiber, and high volume. That gets me very full. After that if I want to eat between meals it is either because I have not been eating enough or it is old habits that still manage to kick in from time to time.
  • TurquiseTurtle7
    TurquiseTurtle7 Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Try a cup of pretzels? Or a pack of freeze dried fruit crisps? Those are my go-tos when I've got the munchies in the evening. Nibbling slowly makes the snack last about ten minutes, which feels like a satisfying amount of time. If I've had my pretzels and fruit crisps for the evening already and still want something else to chew on, I break out the sugar free gum. Cost of all three combined? About 170 calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    If you're really hungry snack on some plain carrots. If that doesn't appeal to you, you're not really hungry.

I agree sir. I would suggest maybe some low calorie high volume popcorn. 100cal bags of smart pop with some low calorie seasoning maybe? Takes a while to eat. Jmho
  • Frank19556
    Frank19556 Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Why not cereal, half a bowl of a full grain cereal with half a cup of even full fat milk? It wouldn't be many calories, would be healthy and take away the craving. You could plan for it and eat a bit less earlier on. I use 1% milk, but full fat would be more satisfying and not cost much in calories.

I don't usually have that problem for some reason, I use the cereal to add fiber and to find calories if I need them.

(Also, try eating dinner later.)
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

I recently discovered that high protein and low fat gets me so full, I regret not doing it sooner. I also respond very well to volume. Do you have any suggestions for snacks or food that fits? I only know the basics like chicken, lentils, dairy etc..
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I respond well to high protein, high fiber, and high volume. That gets me very full. After that if I want to eat between meals it is either because I have not been eating enough or it is old habits that still manage to kick in from time to time.

I recently discovered that high protein and low fat gets me so full, I regret not doing it sooner. I also respond very well to volume. Do you have any suggestions for snacks or food that fits? I only know the basics like chicken, lentils, dairy etc..
  • reedbryant
    reedbryant Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein throughout the day. I stay feeling full. Even a struggle to eat sometimes. Eating sugar and fried foods will just keep you wanting more and becomes addictive.