Exercising with asthma

Options
I started the year with a bad chest infection which set off asthma. I am now recovered but the asthma has stayed with me. I currently take a steroid inhaler 4 times a day and reliever when needed. I had another chest infection about 4 weeks ago. Generally doing ok but my stamina is not what it was, and i generally need to use my inhaler while exercising. Any tips on how to improve things? I run slowly, and do some crossfit classes.

Replies

• THUNDER5453
    THUNDER5453 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    GM Sam
    I 2 have Asthma and COPD and I also have a Ileostomy. Yes it sucks, but it's the hand I was dealt after 2 tours in Vietnam (Agent Orange and other crap I had to breathe in the jungle) My Pulmonologist and GI Doc's recommend the following for me
    1) deep breathing exercises with a peak flow meter check with your Pulmonologist Doc to what he/she recommends for your peak flow and the type of exercises you can do. .....here is the one I use...https://smile.amazon.com/8884719009-VOLDYNE-5000-VOLUMETRIC-MADE/dp/B010MAF7GE/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2X7D8P0LK0J9K&dchild=1&keywords=peak+flow+meter&qid=1602421267&sprefix=peak+flow+,aps,346&sr=8-8
    2) When I can I walk outside with weights either on the ankle or wrist... always resting every five laps or so to regain controlled breathing. When the bad weather starts up here I move my W/O'S inside using resistance machines, stationary bike and various dancing and walking videos. Always resting in-between exercise to let the breathing recoup with me.
    The whole key is keep the lungs inflated so the blood can move freely in them. I have lived with this for some 30 years. It's doable, how ever every one is different. I keep my inhalers within arm reach in case i need them. I am taking these daily 2 to 3 times daily Advair, Ventolin HFA (rescue only) Spariva, and Albetrol Sulfate via a Nebulizer..( really bad situation and need intermediate help)

If I can help you any other way let me
    Your Asthma and COPD Pal
    Greg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and use an inhaler occassionally. It's a mild case but I never run which can trigger an attack.

I can do/use other things for cardio fitness, (like rowing, using the elliptical, biking, walking and hiking) that do not have the same effect.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks both