Seeking recommendations for home gym equiptment

I am a 49 year old women in decent shape looking to buy ONE weight machine that can exercise as many body parts as possible. I have somewhat limited space (although not terrible - small basement) and am not interested in any aerobic machines (i.e. treadmills, stationary bikes and the like). I need to lift actual weights to help with bone density, but prefer the guidance that a machine offers to protect my alignment rather than free weights. I am already thin so I am not looking to lose weight, just build strength and definition. I am NOT a fan of resistance equiptment and greatly prefer weight plate machines. The problem is I can only have one machine, but want a complete workout since our gyms are closing once again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!36l2vl99hwtl.jpg

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2020
    gannonmail wrote: »
    I am a 49 year old women in decent shape looking to buy ONE weight machine that can exercise as many body parts as possible. I have somewhat limited space (although not terrible - small basement) and am not interested in any aerobic machines (i.e. treadmills, stationary bikes and the like). I need to lift actual weights to help with bone density, but prefer the guidance that a machine offers to protect my alignment rather than free weights. I am already thin so I am not looking to lose weight, just build strength and definition. I am NOT a fan of resistance equiptment and greatly prefer weight plate machines.The problem is I can only have one machine, but want a complete workout since our gyms are closing once again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!36l2vl99hwtl.jpg

I'm a bit confused. Machines are considered resistance equipement. So are bicycles, row machines, barbells, etc...

Is there a budget and what is the maximum amount of space you have for "one machine"?
  • ageingtechno
    ageingtechno Posts: 22 Member
    CALLISTHENICS....if that's how you spell it?
    Save your money to buy something else much nicer!
  • ageingtechno
    ageingtechno Posts: 22 Member
    And you look about 39, so dont stress it!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Seems like you're wanting something like a BodySolid (which is a good brand) single stack machine.

https://www.bodysolid.com/home/gym_systems/single_stack_gyms
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    A cybex bravo or inspire FT1 is what I would go with if I could only have 1 machine. A functional trainer is very versatile. You can get them new or used.

If I had to sell everything in my gym tomorrow because I was moving somewhere smaller, I would keep my functional trainer, 1 bench and my power blocks and that would cover a reasonable number of exercises to allow me to continue working both my upper and lower body.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    You may want to consider a TRX or similar suspension trainer. Can do resistance exercises from rehab to those that challenge world class athletes
  • Get a barbell and some plates if ya wanna lift. Or a set of adjustable dumbbells. Or both. Hundreds of ways to train with those bad boys and don’t take up much room
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I don’t have any advice for you regarding your original question but I just wanted to say that you look much younger thank your age! Wow!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    And you look about 39, so dont stress it!

Everyone regardless of age needs resistance exercise. Maybe tbe small percentage that have very physical jobs can get by but most of us do.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I would probably get a cable machine. Or for less space and money, I have an adjustable pull-up bar and pulley system.
  • gannonmail
    gannonmail Posts: 6 Member
    I can't seem to figure out how to write individual replies (sorry this is my first time using community). But @Nooshi713 - thank you so much! My 50th is fast approaching and I have felt terrible about it.

@chieflrg - I don't really know the correct terminology for different exercise systems because I am new to all of this. However I meant something with plates and one of those pin things because I'm trying to build bone density. What I meant by a resistance machine was something that uses cables or something that uses your own body weight which I don't believe helps as much with bone density. Although I *think* I have learned resistance machines work better with people who have arthritis. While I don't have arthritis yet, it may be something to consider especially since my mom has it and I am hoping for a system that will last me a long time.
  • gannonmail
    [Chieflrg] I forgot to tell you that my budget is probably around $4000 if there is financing available. Also I a really bad judge of space, but I think my basement - which is L shaped - has one area around 10' by 10' and another around 10' by 12'.
  • Dogmom1978
    [Chieflrg] I forgot to tell you that my budget is probably around $4000 if there is financing available. Also I a really bad judge of space, but I think my basement - which is L shaped - has one area around 10' by 10' and another around 10' by 12'.

Go with a functional trainer of some sort. There are several options new under your $4k budget.

The Inspire FT1 is well under $4k and the FT2 (heavier weight stack and some additional features that the FT1 lacks) is $4700 new. Both are designed to fit in a residence, so should fit your ceiling height. If you don’t mind used, you can get them even cheaper.

Cybex bravo is one of the most highly recommended FTs for home use, but the price tag new is well above $4k. You could get a used one for less than that though.

A functional trainer is a cable machine with weight stacks (in case you weren’t aware of what it was called/did) and they are very versatile. If you went to a gym before, virtually every gym has one of some kind.

https://www.precorhomefitness.com/products/inspire-ft1-functional-trainer?variant=32741080629336&matchtype=&network=g&device=m&adposition=&keyword=&campaign=1581562052&adgroup=pla-956578274778&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgY_kv4-v7AIVAwiICR3djQI5EAQYAyABEgIpvvD_BwE

https://www.fitnesszone.com/product/cybex-ft-325-Bravo-Basic-functional-trainer.html?source=googleps2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhr-N9o-v7AIVAeazCh3TKAImEAQYBSABEgK4-PD_BwE

https://www.fitnesszone.com/product/inspire-ft2-functional-trainer.html?source=googleps2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MrVlZCv7AIVCaCzCh3yeAw-EAQYASABEgKvlfD_BwE

I included some links so you can see the different products and see if that’s something you would be interested in. Of course there are many other brands of functional trainers also. Those 2 are just the most highly regarded residential ones I’ve seen. I personally have a life fitness, but I really struggled to make it fit in my basement (height issues) and cannot use the pull up handles on mine.
  • gannonmail
    Thank you so much! That was REALLY helpful because I am so new to all this. I will definently check out those links. (BTW, do you have any thoughts on the Boaflex systems?)
  • Dogmom1978
    Thank you so much! That was REALLY helpful because I am so new to all this. I will definently check out those links. (BTW, do you have any thoughts on the Boaflex systems?)

Bow flex is complete junk. If you search Facebook marketplace people often give them away for free. Just my 2 cents, but I would definitely do some research and if you have used gym machines and are trying to replicate that feel in the cables/weights, stay away from low end including bow flex, Marcy, Weider.
  • Dogmom1978
    Also stay away from total gym (more junk)
  • gannonmail
    Ok, so I looked at the links, but I have to say that box thing scares me. I need machines that keep you in alignment. I don't like free weights for that exact reason. The pulley systems are so loosely goosey I KNOW I will injure myself. Thank you so much for the feedback on the other systems though because they didn't look like junk at all to me and I was about to purchase one. I guess I will have to keep searching.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Have you thought about hiring a personal trainer to teach you proper form and how to maintain alignment?
  • Dogmom1978
    Have you thought about hiring a personal trainer to teach you proper form and how to maintain alignment?

^^

This! There isn’t really a single machine where you can do a bunch of versatile exercises and have proper form if you aren’t able to already maintain form without needing the machine to limit you in order to do the exercise correctly.

You need to learn how to have proper form first and then decide what to get for your home setup.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2020
    There's a new system out there called Tempo Fit. It's free weights but with a trainer system that uses a 3D camera to watch form. It's around $2500 I believe. Looks really interesting. Comes with the barbell and weights in a nice cabinet with a large screen watching form.