Hungry girl

Options
Hungry Girl... Love her? Hate her? Discuss.

Replies

• LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. I hate how she uses 'fake' foods as her ingredients, instead of natural ingredients for her recipes.
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    Agreed, her ingredients are definitely not ideal. They may be less calories but they sure don't sound healthy to me.
  • gpjuicy69
    Options
    not a big fan, I feel like she uses way too much processed food I prefer natural ingredients
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan either. I want real food, not all those fake substitutes. Plus her recipes are often pretty expensive to make because you have to buy all those substitute foods that you'll probably never use again.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff I love... But she needs more easily accessable ingredients. Some of that stuff I will never find, and even if I did it would be too expensive.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I love her, just cause she makes me laugh. But her food swaps do trigger some good ideas for me, however, I have to watch the sodium levels. I noticed that she's starting to offer more low sodium options.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan either...the processed foods is one thing, but she tends to be more "low fat" whereas I prefer low carb foods. However, everything she makes is MUCH better than the crap I used to eat so I can't really complain too much.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Not a fan! I like real, fresh, non-imitation food. She doesn't seem to use it much.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I will have to check it out. I have honestly not looked at it, but if she uses processed foods that could be why. I am not supposed to eat that stuff for health reasons. I have allergies and have to eat non processed, fresh foods without fillers. It's hard but perhaps I could get some low calorie options from her and could substitute ingredients.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    She uses way too many exclamation points!!!!!!!! :happy:
    Every sentence in her email newsletter ends in at least one exclamation point.
    She is one excited woman :laugh:
  • Stephanie08
    Options
    She uses way too many exclamation points!!!!!!!! :happy:
    Every sentence in her email newsletter ends in at least one exclamation point.
    She is one excited woman :laugh:

I never noticed that before, but now I'm going to be looking for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love her, because a lot of the things I can make in my dorm. I have all her cookbooks, and I think she's adorable. Sad to see more people don't like her.
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I find that she inspires me to look beyond the normal to find alternatives. I prefer real food myself and therefore there are a number of her recipes I won't use but I have found some good recipes that have helped me ease the hunger pangs.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Agreed, her ingredients are definitely not ideal. They may be less calories but they sure don't sound healthy to me.

Agreed. To say she makes "food" is a stretch. More or less she cobbles industrial food-like items together (fat free cheese, Splenda, spray "butter", etc.) and tries to convince everyone it tastes just like the full fat version. Riiiiight.

In summary, she goes against every belief I have when it comes to food, lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl... Love her? Hate her? Discuss.

I've seen her show once. Everything she made was just processed foods mixed together and most of it looked fairly disgusting. Once isn't much to form an opinion, but that first impression did not make me want to find out more. I'd bet my cooking is tastier and healthier.
  • potuschris
    Options
    I don't hate her. I don't love her either. She does use a lot of processed food and a lot of products that are not sold in very many places which means making a lot of her stuff is really difficult. But I have used some of her swaps and tried some of the stuff she uses that I didn't know about.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence with her. I find the newsletters about restaurants and snack ideas to be useful. Her "cooking" show is laughable and 90% of the stuff she "cooks" would barely count as food - she did something horrifying to a hot dog that I've blocked out of my memory. I watch it like I watch Sandra Lee - for total amusement with the occasional tip.

I do find some of her recipes to be useful, but I've always amended them a bit. Some of her chicken recipes are good (there was a chicken mexican roulade I enjoyed), especially the meals that you put in foil and throw in the oven - those use real food. I tend to substitute low-fat foods for her non-fat and try to add real veggies when I can to make them a little more legit.

Loved her husband in Head of the Class and Better off Dead, though!
  • Stephanie08
    Options
    Who's her husband?
  • cherir2
    Options
    not a fan either - her recipes are loaded with salt as well because she is using all that processed foods. Her recipes call for a lot of crappy foods that you just shouldn't have around your house as well
  • Leggs3138
    Options
    hello evertone