Meal planning to fit

Options
Hi hope I can get some help here. I’m struggling how to make up meal plans to fit around my macros. I tend to hit my sugar and fat pretty easily but then I still have loads of protein and carbs and fibre to hit with no room for error in the others... any guidance on how you all plan your meals to fit around them all and hit all your targets each day please?

Replies

• red1167
    red1167 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Perfect thanks so much for your time!
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I start by trying to hit my protien goal, then fill in with the carbs and fats.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    red1167 wrote: »
    Perfect thanks so much for your time!

I assume you're talking to me as I am (was) the only comment! You're very welcome, I enjoy helping people when I have the opportunity.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Macros are not an exact, as in you must hit each one perfectly. And the default macros on MFP may not even be right for you.

Generally figure out what protein you need per day (depending on your size and goals, that could be different person to person). Set protein to a minimum. Set fat to a minimum. Don't worry about carbs. As long as you are getting enough protein, your fat is not TOO low - then the resulting carbs don't really matter.

If you need ideas for easy protein, my go to's include:

Chicken breast
    Tilapia (fresh is so much better than frozen)
    Dairy, eggs
    Beans such as in black beans & rice, chili

For boosting protein - I have found Protein2.0 water at Cosco & Walmart. 70-90 cals, 15-20g protein each. Or Pure Protein shakes, 140 cals for 30g protein and available in multiple flavors. Or add a protein powder to your coffee, smoothie, etc.
  • WalkAwayRenee86
    WalkAwayRenee86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi @red1167 First, the more whole foods you use, the easier it will be. Next, I like to keep foods handy that are dense in one of the macros, so if I'm low on one macro, I have something available. Some of my go-to's are:

Protein: Chicken breast, shrimp, whey powder, egg whites
    Fats: Olive oil (can add to most meals), MCT oil (can add to shakes), avocado, eggs, nuts and peanut butter
    Carbs: Rice, quinoa, oats, beans, white or sweet potatoes

Then it's good to have some low calorie sauces. Some options are hot sauce, mustard, low sugar BBQ sauce, salsa, etc

If you make your meals based around these as a foundation with some veggies added, you should be good. Some examples:

Meal 1: Eggs, egg whites, turkey bacon and spinach
    Meal 2: Rice, chicken breast, black beans, salsa
    Meal 3: Baked sweet potato, steak, broccoli
    Snacks: Protein shake, nuts, shrimp

Obviously this isn't meant to be a meal plan, just giving you ideas. I suggest cooking in bulk, then weigh out your portions. Each morning you can grab your meals and hit the road! Also, this chart below is helpful with regards to learning what macros are in what foods. Soon it will become second nature! Hope that helps.
    sr0hc7b2j87z.jpeg

Your information above is so helpful. I’m trying to figure out a way to print it as a handy guide. 😊
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    Options
    Hi @red1167 First, the more whole foods you use, the easier it will be. Next, I like to keep foods handy that are dense in one of the macros, so if I'm low on one macro, I have something available. Some of my go-to's are:

Protein: Chicken breast, shrimp, whey powder, egg whites
    Fats: Olive oil (can add to most meals), MCT oil (can add to shakes), avocado, eggs, nuts and peanut butter
    Carbs: Rice, quinoa, oats, beans, white or sweet potatoes

Then it's good to have some low calorie sauces. Some options are hot sauce, mustard, low sugar BBQ sauce, salsa, etc

If you make your meals based around these as a foundation with some veggies added, you should be good. Some examples:

Meal 1: Eggs, egg whites, turkey bacon and spinach
    Meal 2: Rice, chicken breast, black beans, salsa
    Meal 3: Baked sweet potato, steak, broccoli
    Snacks: Protein shake, nuts, shrimp

Obviously this isn't meant to be a meal plan, just giving you ideas. I suggest cooking in bulk, then weigh out your portions. Each morning you can grab your meals and hit the road! Also, this chart below is helpful with regards to learning what macros are in what foods. Soon it will become second nature! Hope that helps.
    sr0hc7b2j87z.jpeg

Your information above is so helpful. I’m trying to figure out a way to print it as a handy guide. 😊

@WalkAwayRenee86 Thanks, that's awesome! I enjoy helping people understand things that took me way too long to figure out!
  • WalkAwayRenee86
    Options
    I’m always looking for tips and ideas.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    Options
    I’m always looking for tips and ideas.

My biggest suggestion is meal prep once a week. Sundays, I cook bulk food and prep all my meals for the week except dinner, which I eat at home. It saves time overall, allows me to customize meals to fit my macros and makes it too easy to grab my meals so I dont have the excuse to buy takeout during the day.
  • WalkAwayRenee86
    Options
    That is something I don’t do and definitely need to do. 👍🏼