Post lifting protein drink

Options
I know there are several other threads that half cover this topic, but I'm still not finding the answer I want. Please be patient with my post. I did P90X for awhile when I first started counting calories and such, and was using a drink called "mikes mix recovery drink, which I like, however I'm not sure it covers what I'm doing now. It's very high calorie (380 calories if I use the whole serving, with only 20 g of protein. If I cut the serving down to get less calories, then it's only 10 g of protein.) Lately (the last 2 weeks) I've been doing a lot more lifting, since I found someone new to go to the gym with. So after lifting, what kind of protein drink do you use? I need something that satisfies my 3 goals:

* Needs to have enough protein to help recover from weight lifting.
* Needs to be low calorie, since my primary goal is losing weight
* Needs to be affordable! I can't stomach paying $80 or $100 for a container of stuff. The cheaper the better. Also helps me convince the wife it's OK to get, if it's cheaper.

Please someone just tell me what to use. I've spend hours reading stuff, and just come out knowing less and less. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    none, the "anabolic window" is a myth

but there are plenty of protein powders that are under $50 for 60+servings that taste great. Myofusion, Trutein, XF Ultra Peptide 2.0
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    Get yourself a tub of whey protein isolate, unflavored if you can find it. It's about 85% protein by weight (45g scoop yields 38g protein). Check bulk food stores and such before "nutrition centers" or "supplement shops". They often have it.

You can mix this with things like crystal light or sugar free koolaid or whatever you prefer and shake it up.

Also, if you're trying to build muscle, you need around 2g of protein per lb of bodyweight spread out in 4-6 small doses throughout the day to ensure a continual supply of building blocks to your body.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    trueprotein.com -- build your own blend, add what YOU want -- including the sweeteneer, electrolytes, vitamins etc...
    Nowhere near that cost and a heck of a lot less calories. You can also buy in bulk and there is great feedback on the forums from others who workout. 1lb starts around $8 depending on the type you use. (i get whey protein isolate cold-filtration)
    You can also ask them for double flavoring which I usually do --- I love chocolate and coffee.
  • erszike48
    Options
    I am an Herbalife distributor and we have an entire line called "24" for the 24 hour athlete. It's AMAZING! If you give me your e-mail address, I can send you material / information. This line has several components: PREPARE, PROLONG, REBUILD ENDURANCE, REBUILD STRENGTH and RESTORE. Developed by Dr. John Heiss.
  • lanaholt
    Options
    Be careful of whey protein isolate unless it from a very high quality, reputable source. Alot of the whey protein used in the cheap tubs we see at the discount stores is considered feed grade, what they feed to cattle.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rockin' Refuel by Stoneybrook Farms is great.

Comes in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. 20 g of protein per drink.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard protein ~ many flavors (tried double rich chocolate and caramel toffee fudge so far and both are amazingly delicious). Each scoop contains about 24 grams of protein and only 120 cals. Mix it with water or milk or almond milk. I mix 1.5 scoops with .5 cup milk and .5 cup water and some crushed ice as part of my breakfast. It mixes REALLY well as it dissolves easily. Amazon has the best prices I've found yet (and TONS of reviews!): http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315498820&sr=8-1
  • raptor5k
    raptor5k Posts: 9 Member
    Options

See, stuff like this kills me! I spent an hour reading all about how you need to replenish during the anabolic window, within 30 minutes (or less) after a workout, and it was a convincing article. Now you're telling me that it's a myth, shattering my world! (ok, that's a little dramatic) See the reason for my confusion?
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    theres no need to take in protein after a workout. the anabolic window is a myth. just reach your protein, fat, and calorie macros for the day and youl be fine. but if you really want something post workout then have a meal.
  • Wilfred808
    Options

See, stuff like this kills me! I spent an hour reading all about how you need to replenish during the anabolic window, within 30 minutes (or less) after a workout, and it was a convincing article. Now you're telling me that it's a myth, shattering my world! (ok, that's a little dramatic) See the reason for my confusion?
    the anabolic window lasts for about 24 hours.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    From what we studied in nutrition unit at uni, the general concept of protein drinks are to up your protein intake if your intake amount from your diet isn't meeting your requirements -it's essentially a "top up in liquid form", as my lecturer explained it.

If you eat well then you should be able to build muscle by just weight lifting, without needing to take protein drinks.

I, for example, drink protein drinks becauseI'm not a great fan of meat and don't eat enough to support exercise, or I'll use it as a meal replacement when I'm not hungry to avoid skipping meals...

Just my 2c.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    A registered dietician told me it is not necessary to have protein drink unless you are of professional/Olympic caliber of exercise. Yes you need to add extra protein on weight lifting day, but diet provided is more than enough. Also it is not necessary to get it in one hour post, as long as you get it in in the same 24 hr period of the weight lifting.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Best post workout recovery drink after a hard workout = low fat chocolate milk.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I like jay robb protein powder. Its 110 cals, 25 g protein, no artificial anything, sweetened with splenda, and tastes really good. I get mine on amazon but I have seen it at gnc as well. Also it is whey from grass fed cows and no hormones, antibiotics. etc. It is a little pricey but well worth it imo.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Whey Gold Standard. 22g of protein for 120 calories in a 31g scoop. Add dextrose to it if you subscribe the to 'need simple carb with protein shake to digest faster' philosophy.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Oops. Apparently I have had too much Christmas. I meant to say Jay Robb is sweetened with STEVIA, not splenda. Sorry.