Calories in a recipe

Options
How can you figure out how many calories are in a serving in a recipe ? I have used app to figure it out but are they true and its hard to measure out a cup of recipe. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Replies

• ddavenport6962
    ddavenport6962 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you use the app to build a recipe, add each ingredient individually then tell it how many serves you want from the whole amount at the end .The app will calculate the calories per serve. Thats the best way as long as you add the weight of all ingredients as you add them. It should be prety accurate 😊
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you weigh the final product and divide that by how many servings you've set the recipe for you'll know how much each serving weighs. That's easier (and more accurate) than trying to measure in cups.
  • SylviaArce
    SylviaArce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After a recipe is created, how do you make sure your portions are not too big or too small?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    SylviaArce wrote: »
    After a recipe is created, how do you make sure your portions are not too big or too small?

I weigh the finished food (after cooking) and set the recipe number of servings to the number of grams in the whole finished food. Then, if I eat 127 grams of the dish, I log 127 servings. If you're wondering about the "weigh after cooking" - weigh the empty pot or baking dish before cooking, weigh the finished food in the pot/dish, subtract the pot/dish weight. Some people make a list with the empty weight of their most-used pots/dishes, and tape it inside a cupboard door or something.

If you mean your question more literally, like how much you should eat . . . that, I can't help with. I just eat the amount I want, that fits in my calorie and nutrition goals at that point.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I find the total weight of the finished recipe and then divide that by the number of servings I want the recipe to yield to figure out the size of "one serving." Beyond calorie counting, weighing all my ingredients makes scaling recipes much easier; if I know I need to make 10 servings and last time I made 4, it's trivially easy to figure out how much of each ingredient I need.

As for judging how big a portion "should" be, I usually go into it with an idea of how many servings I'm trying to make. Usually if that number changes, it's because "one serving" has more calories than I need it to be, so instead of 4 servings I'm going to divide this into 6 or 8. Sometimes I make things that divide into discrete pieces - enchiladas, chicken/eggplant parmesan, cabbage rolls, etc - and "one serving" is one unit of whatever it is. I might have more than one serving with my meal. Best example is cabbage rolls: my recipe makes 24 rolls, so that's 24 servings, but I'll have three of them for lunch so the diary says I had 3 servings of cabbage rolls. Especially if I'm meal-prepping and will have eaten the entire recipe by the end of the week anyway, I don't fuss too much about making sure all of my servings weigh exactly the same as served; it's good enough for me that all of the pieces are made the same way, i.e., there's the same amount of filling in each cabbage leaf but the leaves themselves might differ or have a different amount of sauce on them.
  • pootlermse
    pootlermse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always find it tricky to divide a dish up into servings, since, in our house, we have different appetites and often go for seconds. I can't say accurately how many servings a dish is.

So, once I've entered all the weighed and measured ingredients in the recipe builder and cooked the dish, I weigh the WHOLE dish (minus the pan, obvs) before I serve it uo. I set that total weight as the number of servings. So, for example, if the soup I made weighs 3457g in total, I say it's 3457 servings. Then, when I dish it up, I just weigh my serving in grammes, and set that as the number of servings I've had.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I weigh my finished recipes and then calculate how much a serving is by weight. Many of the recipes I keep are saved by grams instead of by serving size just so I can weigh it out when I have leftovers or whatever.