Getting board of plain water (uk)

Options
Hi everyone, I'm decreasing my intake of coffee/tea and increasing my water intake.... now here's the issue lol I'm getting rather board of water.

Apart from the general squash flavours (orange, lemon, summer fruits, blackcurrant, blackcurrant and apple) which I cant stand, is there any other flavours (sugar free if poss) at morrisons/sainsbury's/waitrose (they're the ones near me but not full size supermarkets as I dont live near the city) also have a Tesco express & premier shop in walking distance but only stock the ones I'm not keen on.

Would love to know any home mix ups what people do/like ie fresh raspberries in water, cucumber in water, slice of lemon in water etc...

Replies

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    In the summer I chop up a lemon, freeze them and add them as ice cubes, but generally I just drink water to not feel thirsty and don't think beyond that. I probably get through 1.5-2litres a day. (I do also drink a fair bit of coffee!) If I want to drink some calories I'd probably make a smoothie or something.

If you are just starting out drinking water it might take some adjustment from squash or whatever - I was bought up on orange squash and as a kid I hated water, so I know how different it tastes. Personally, I can't stand squash now, it's way too sweet! I think it's just what your pallet adapts to.

What about milk, or plant milk if you are looking for something else to drink in the day?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Can't comment on any flavorings for water...I don't mind plain water...but there's nothing wrong with tea or coffee either and they both contribute to hydration which is what is important. To boot, both teas and coffee have all kinds of minerals and antioxidants that are very good for you. There's nothing super special about "plain water'...what's special is keeping your body hydrated which you can monitor by the color of your urine.

Teas and coffee contribute to a substantial degree, to antioxidant, as well as vitamin and mineral consumption in the western diet...there's nothing wrong with them and they're actually good for you...as with anything, moderation...

We have been drinking tea and coffee since the beginning of time...because it was recognized very early on that these things were actually good for us...it's the other stuff that we started putting into tea and coffee that may not be so good, particularly where calories are concerned...but tea and coffee in and of themselves are actually very healthy.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    hat about herbal teas? Or fruit infusions cold? As you seem to be in the UK fruit infusions might be a bit tricky as many companies add liquorice as sweetener, which adds an odd taste. Do you have a Polish shop nearby? There you can buy lots of interesting fruit infusions, like cranberry, rosehip and hibiscus, and lots of others. Tend to be a bit acidic, but very nice warm and cold.

Depending on how strong you like a taste you might need to experiment. I get my fruit infusions mostly from Germany where there's more taste in a single bag.
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I have a sturdy glass pitcher and I have been brewing herbal/fruit teas in. I leave it on the counter and it cools down and I just drink a couple pitchers through the day. I can't stick to just water either! Orange spice is my current favourite and it's a bit autumny.
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    And for the love of god, don't try Jasmine green tea. Like gulping perfume wanted to puke.
  • huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As the weather is currently turning cooler, I've started having hot squash.
  • theyoyoer
    theyoyoer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to have that in infant school - that's probably why I was put off the flavours 😂
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the fruit infusion "teabags" for cold water (twinings etc) when they are on special offer (in the coffee/tea section) - some interesting/unusual flavours and less sweet than squash. I also like elderflower/lime cordial with sparkling water.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Tea is just flavored water. I never get bored with tea.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest herbal teas or how about green tea? Even smaller express / locals tend to have them, and Waitrose must do. Try to get a mixed pack to see which flavours you like though.

I guess the answers depend on why you're reducing tea / coffee in the first place. In addition to ground beans for my cafetierre, I have a jar of decaf coffee at home as I can't drink more than one cup of the proper stuff a day. I also have decaf tea bags in the cupboard as two friends try to avoid caffeine. I can't taste the difference.

Personally, I love squash although my taste has definitely changed over the years. I used to drink lemon all the time, then Kia-Ora changed their recipe (or my taste buds changed at the same time as I bought a new bottle) and I haven't drunk lemon since. Different brands do taste different though - although I now drink orange, it has to be Robinsons' No Added Sugar. However, you don't want to be buying a litre of something from different brands just to confirm that you don't like any of it. Maybe ask family and friends what they have and see if you can sample different brands.

An alternative, as you suggest, is to add slices of lemon (or orange) to a glass of water or lemon balm leaves if you have any growing in a garden / pot. Ginger steeped in hot water is also nice in winter.