Bulking Up

Hi all,

I know I normally post this sort of stuff to my friends on MFP. But I felt, it would be easier to post here and get a collective opinion.

Stats : Male/29/5 FT 6/Weight fluctuates 120IBs-123IBs
Current Goal : Build Muscle
Lifting Experience : Nothing structured from the beginning of August 2019. Lifting started properly and consistentish May onwards.

I won't go into my full beginning history. But this year from March onwards. I sort of took lifting a bit more seriously at home, following a Dumbbell workout Plan for 12 weeks, and then moving onto 'Fierce 5' in a such. Now I spend time at the gym and time at home with dumbbells. I focus mainly on these at the Gym:

Front Squat
Back Squat
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Bent Over Row
Lat Pulldowns
Calf Machine Raise
Bicep Curls
Deadlifts

at home I focus on 5 Day Split with Dumbbells. All lifts on the above at the gym are up week by week at least. Overhead Press I did stall, but I managed to push through.

My routine:

Monday - Gym 11AM, At Home DB Chest, Tricep, and Shoulders 3PM
Tuesday - Gym 11AM, At home DB Lower Body & Abs 3PM
Wednesday - 20 Minutes HIIT Cardio
Thursday - Gym 11AM, At Home DB Back & Biceps 3PM
Friday - Lower Body DB Workout
Saturday - Full Upper Body DB Workout
Sunday - Rest

I have attached images of my body so far today of Front, Side, and Back with a pinch test front. Am I bulking too severely? I am not sure if I am gaining too much fat. My weight on the scales didn't really gain much. I have attached the graph. I have been aiming for 0.5IBs per week to lean bulk.

Over the period of time I have been cycling calories ranging from 2200 - 3400. But lately for consistency I have been sticking to 2880 for the last 2-3 weeks. I set MFP to 'Very Active' because of the step count below, workouts and weight wasn't moving much. I can provide more data if needed. Attached also is my weightograph chart

Am I gaining fat too fast guys? According to multiple sites I have calculated my maintenance I think to around 2300-2400 due to working/dog walking which comes to around 12000-20000+ steps a day. I feel if I cut down or even mini cut now, I would just look skinny with no mass again.

So yeah any feedback would be great :)
FrontA.jpg
FrontB.jpg
FrontC.jpg
FrontD.jpg
BackA.jpgSideA.jpg
SideB.jpg
Trending Weight 121.33IB
Recorded Weight Today 123.25IB
One Week Change -0.54IB
One Month Change - -0.12IB
One Month Prediction - 121.11IB

Replies

• FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Today's Weight 120.4
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I am the same as you, tiny with some chub. After maintenance for over 2 years, I am biting the bullet and going for a bulk, as I am guessing anything is better than continuing to spin my wheels for mediocre results.

Do not cut. You're still too small. Keep on with .5/lb per week.
  • FossilFusion
    wiigelec wrote: »

Thanks, I shall give it a read! :)

I think I will keep going ahead with trying to bulk. Any feedback would be great.
  • FossilFusion
    alexmose wrote: »
    I am the same as you, tiny with some chub. After maintenance for over 2 years, I am biting the bullet and going for a bulk, as I am guessing anything is better than continuing to spin my wheels for mediocre results.

Do not cut. You're still too small. Keep on with .5/lb per week.

Thanks for this @alexmose I just realised even if cut now, I would be underweight! So again thanks for the insight.

Good luck with your bulk 💪🏻👍🏻
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Some things you should consider. First, you need to adequately rest to help make the gains. If you haven't seriously trained int the past, 2x programs a day is not going to help. You would be better off really pushing yourself (with good form) at the gym, and work on overall good nutrition. Honestly, if you can come home and do more exercise, you are not pushing yourself at the gym. Second, if your goal is to gain muscle, a strength based program is not optimal. You would be better off looking at into a program that is centered a bit more around hypertrophy (like PHUL or PHAT). Not saying you can't build muscle with Fierce 5, but it's not likely going to be optimal. You rate of gain should be around a half of lb to a lb. Just make sure you are getting enough protein. For you, 120-150g would be a good range.
  • FossilFusion
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Some things you should consider. First, you need to adequately rest to help make the gains. If you haven't seriously trained int the past, 2x programs a day is not going to help. You would be better off really pushing yourself (with good form) at the gym, and work on overall good nutrition. Honestly, if you can come home and do more exercise, you are not pushing yourself at the gym. Second, if your goal is to gain muscle, a strength based program is not optimal. You would be better off looking at into a program that is centered a bit more around hypertrophy (like PHUL or PHAT). Not saying you can't build muscle with Fierce 5, but it's not likely going to be optimal. You rate of gain should be around a half of lb to a lb. Just make sure you are getting enough protein. For you, 120-150g would be a good range.

Wow thank you so much for this! I felt like my gym routine for Fierce 5 was quite low in terms of weight progression making it seem 'easy'. I am going to be looking into PHUL as that seems quite a good program.

Do you recommend on this routine to add weight each session or reps first?

Protein is no problem for me anyways, I get most from Whey Protein Powder tbh. But seriously, thank you again for this insight :)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

Wow thank you so much for this! I felt like my gym routine for Fierce 5 was quite low in terms of weight progression making it seem 'easy'. I am going to be looking into PHUL as that seems quite a good program.

Do you recommend on this routine to add weight each session or reps first?

Protein is no problem for me anyways, I get most from Whey Protein Powder tbh. But seriously, thank you again for this insight :)

If you can, add weight each session (even if its the lowest increment available). And if you don't hit the total reps, you maintain weight until you hit total reps. So the key would be write it done.