Cardio Calories in MFP Tracker...seem high?

msjamartin
msjamartin Posts: 148
edited October 2 in Fitness and Exercise
So I put always put in my weight and age on the elliptical at the gym so I can get correct calories burned for my workout. It seem that when I go to put in my time on the elliptical on MFP that the calories they indicate are quite a bit higher. Anyone else notice that? I've been editing my calorie burn to what the machines say but I'm wondering where/how MFP is determining their default calories and if on other excersises it is also high?

What have you found? Anyone track with a bodybug or other device/machines and have found discrepancies?

Replies

• I use a Polar FT4 and I find that on average MFP estimated calories burned are 40% higher than the actual amount.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    MFP calories are always higher I go by the machine.
  • I have a polar HRM and mfp is actually pretty close to what i burn xD
  • I agree with the above, it may be worth investing in a HRM. I've got a Polar FT4, does the job.
  • Seems like this might cause some to wonder why they are not losing when they are burning calories. If they don't realize that what is automatic is too high and that they are not burning as much as the program shows. Fortunately you can edit if you have access to more accurate tracking.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Use the lower of the 2 numbers.

MFP and machine estimates are both quite high for me. But my body is pretty efficient, so I burn a lot less than most - MFP and machines are basically an average for someone your height/weight, so keep that in mind.

That's why I have a HRM...actually two:smile:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    I noticed the same thing. I edit it to what the machine says.
  • Papahood
    Papahood Posts: 9 Member
    MFP seems to be taking into account your body (weight/size/gender). My wife and I will walk together, make the same entry into MFP (i.e. 20 min of walking) and we will come up with two different calories burned amounts. The only explaination is that it is using your settings to adjust the actuals.
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    yep, i've noticed that too. i believe mfp's figures are a bit off. not only are they off for calories burned, but calories consumed as well. consequently, i never eat back my calories burned bc i maybe overeating. i use my calories burn to balance out any errors and omissions in mfp's calculations. :smile:

8450787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    @papahood - i've noticed that as well when working out with my daughter. she burns more calories than me even though we do the same workout. i recently discovered that heavier ppl burn more calories.

8450787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lkwoodboi31
    lkwoodboi31 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,

I have noticed that as well but I was also told that the machines at the Gym do not know your curent weight and on this site they do because you entered it when you started and when you weigh in. This is what it is actually going off of. I hope that helps.

Ed
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    The machine, the HRM and MFP are all estimates. I tend to take the lowest one, to be on the safe side.
  • Hi,

I have noticed that as well but I was also told that the machines at the Gym do not know your curent weight and on this site they do because you entered it when you started and when you weigh in. This is what it is actually going off of. I hope that helps.

Ed

The elliptical machines I use at the gym let me put in my weight and age. I've noticed as I've lost weight that it is harder to reach my calorie burn goals (as others have mentioned). I never leave the weight on the machines at the default 150...at least I won't until I reach my goal weight. :wink: Check the options on your machine, there may be a way to add your weight/age and get a more accurate number.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I wear a heart rate monitor (MUCH more accurate than the elliptical!) and find that sometimes MFP is high, sometimes it's low and sometimes it's almost dead on target.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    The database here at MFP is an average body height/weight etc. It doesn't take in to account your age, physical exertion or the intensity settings on the machine. I use a heart rate monitor, and I find on average that the machine vs MFP database is about 150 cals off, and that's close to my HRM reading too. If you can, I would suggest getting a HRM to track what you are burning. It's not an exact science, but it will be more accurate that the database here. Personally I'd love to get a bodybug! :flowerforyou:
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    I find this too with the Life Fitness machines at my gym. I now enter my weight and use the calories burned that the machines show not the ones on MFP.
    MFP doesn't know if in my 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer I have gone at level 1 or level 10 and it doesn't know the speed I have worked at. It only offers me a flat rate.
  • I found it really depends on the intensity of the work out. So I use MFP as guide, if it give me too high of the # I just put the lower amount of minutes I do it.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    I am assuming that HRM is Heart Rate machine? Where do you buy those and how much are they? I am assuming they are small like a pedometer?
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    They are WAY high, especially for people who are fit already. It tells me I burn like 400 cals on the elliptical, but my HRM says 250 or less. It bugs me because some people follow MFP to the letter and if they are eating back ALL their exercise cals, well then they are likely over eating and wondering why they aren't losing.

My best advice is to get an HRM, not a bodybug because those are actually just estimators too. And if you can't or don't want to do that then use your best judgement and be conservative with either your burn or your food. Unless you're losing just fine, then don't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.