the BIGGEST liars

Options
2»

Replies

• Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I don't care whether or not he ran the whole thing. I find BL to be very motivating. I need to see people my size working out, trying to be healthier. Whenever I start to sweat on my 30 minute routine, I think of those folks with the pressure of national TV weigh ins & Jillian yelling at them 6 hrs each day!
    Then I just get over myself.
    If they can do it, so can I.

I agree with Georg. I run on the treadmill while I watch BL and it is very motivating. I just love to see people changing their lives. And if he did go back and run the 3 then he did run a marathon. So it isn't a lie. But they do have to "stage" and "set up" things for reality TV, and I guess that's ok. It is still motivating.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    :angry: I am sick of TV!

Between stuff like this and The Bachelor, I may boycott "reality TV" and just stick to Drama and sitcoms!!! :explode:

what happened with the bachelor??
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I almost wonder if they pre-weigh contestants to put them in the most "shocking" order for TV. It just doesn't seem real anymore. (Not that losing 10 pounds in a week was ever realistic).

Yep, they do that. The "scale" we see on the show is just a prop. . .they've been weighed earlier in the day by the doctors. They do find out their results at the "weigh-in" but they are not actually weighing in, and the producers know beforehand.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    23 miles IS SO respectable. Although I am disappointed that this program would stoop to this level for the money shot. UNLESS, there was no chance of them finishing the race within the alotted timeframe (there are sometimes limits).

My question is: did they really start at the finish and then journey for the 23 miles? Or did they have a ride or two in between?

This is sad. Remember everyone: WE CAN DO THIS. We do not need the Biggest Loser or any other television show to tell us we can or can't!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    :angry: I am sick of TV!

Between stuff like this and The Bachelor, I may boycott "reality TV" and just stick to Drama and sitcoms!!! :explode:

Or CSI Miami - that's real - right?! :embarassed: :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Whatever!

Yes, they picked him up but does that really reduce the fact that the formerly 400lb man completed 23 miles of a marathon. We shouldn't be shocked or apalled at the fact that tv has production schedules as do marathon events.

I say so what to 3 puny miles in the face of 26.2, no matter what he still accomplished something that just months prior he wouldn't have been able to walk. Anyway, anyone that has ever signed up for and participated in a running/ walking event like a marathon knows that if you don't reach a certain point by a certain time your butt gets put on a bus and driven to the end so officials can start packing up and opening up the streets again, so he at least made it past the halfway mark in a decent amount of time for them to have ONLY picked him up for 3 miles of the race.

The race that he ran, by the way, is near my home and it takes place on a hilly portion near the superstition mountain range and that is much different terrain than the treadmill.

He agreed to follow the rules of the biggest loser and filiming schedules upon being accepted to the BL and unfortunately race officials and TV producers had to make a decision. I still pat Dane on the back for completing 23 miles!
    :drinker:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else bothered by the shameless advertisements they do WITHIN the show now? They set it up so it looks like someone was cooking a meal without veggies so they can plug the steam and serve veggies by x brand or it's no longer "chewing sugar free gum can help with cravings", it's now "Chew Extra Sugar Free Gum" and they make a big deal of showing the packaging.

yes! that drives me nuts! why do they have to stage some really silly scene? its sooooo obvious.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options

I say so what to 3 puny miles in the face of 26.2, no matter what he still accomplished something that just months prior he wouldn't have been able to walk. Anyway, anyone that has ever signed up for and participated in a running/ walking event like a marathon knows that if you don't reach a certain point by a certain time your butt gets put on a bus and driven to the end so officials can start packing up and opening up the streets again, so he at least made it past the halfway mark in a decent amount of time for them to have ONLY picked him up for 3 miles of the race.

i didn't know this....interesting. i respect him for running as far as he did. i can't even run 10 mins, let alone 26 miles.
    i just posted this to show that what we see isn't always the way it happened in reality.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've had some experience working in reality TV - I was a production coordinator on a couple episodes of my Big Redneck Wedding. :laugh: :embarassed:

Please believe me when I say its ALL fake. I mean, obviously those people are actually losing weight, but everything is set up - from the weigh ins to the lines, scripting etc. Producers of reality shows actually instigate most, if not all of the conflict you see on the show, as well as 'suggesting' ideas that would be good for camera (ex. the mud wrestling). There is also a lot of reenactment - when the producer hears about something that happened that wasn't caught on film, they just set it up and have the contestants do it again.

A friend of mine worked as a PA to a BL shoot in season 6 and apparently when they are there for the weigh in, they have the trainers go through a myriad of facial expressions so they will have something to cut to. So every time I watch the show and I see Bob with his 'amazed face' on, I just giggle, thinking about them striking different facial poses for the camera. :laugh:

Its entertainment - it just happens to also help people lose weight and give some good advice. :tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I've had some experience working in reality TV - I was a production coordinator on a couple episodes of my Big Redneck Wedding. :laugh: :embarassed:

Please believe me when I say its ALL fake. I mean, obviously those people are actually losing weight, but everything is set up - from the weigh ins to the lines, scripting etc. Producers of reality shows actually instigate most, if not all of the conflict you see on the show, as well as 'suggesting' ideas that would be good for camera (ex. the mud wrestling). There is also a lot of reenactment - when the producer hears about something that happened that wasn't caught on film, they just set it up and have the contestants do it again.

A friend of mine worked as a PA to a BL shoot in season 6 and apparently when they are there for the weigh in, they have the trainers go through a myriad of facial expressions so they will have something to cut to. So every time I watch the show and I see Bob with his 'amazed face' on, I just giggle, thinking about them striking different facial poses for the camera. :laugh:

Its entertainment - it just happens to also help people lose weight and give some good advice. :tongue:

Thanks for the reality check Chick!:drinker: :heart:
  • Nich0le
    Options
    Thanks allenhm!

Reality TV is finally being brought out for what it is, a manipulated situation for a group of people that agree to participate with producers needing to make it juicy to attract and then keep viewership..

As far as add placements in the show, welcome to the new age of advertising. With DVR and TIVO marketers have realized that more and more people skip commercials during their shows or get up and go to the bathroom etc. Movies have done it for ages and TV shows that used to black out or mosaic the Coke can now make sure it is prominently displayed so viewers see the coke can and maybe they will run out and get some.

We are all puppets!:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Darn evil doers :laugh:
  • Kimono
    Options
    Is anyone else bothered by the shameless advertisements they do WITHIN the show now? They set it up so it looks like someone was cooking a meal without veggies so they can plug the steam and serve veggies by x brand or it's no longer "chewing sugar free gum can help with cravings", it's now "Chew Extra Sugar Free Gum" and they make a big deal of showing the packaging.

yes! that drives me nuts! why do they have to stage some really silly scene? its sooooo obvious.

It is silly. But they sponsor the show.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    'I saw it on TV it must be ture'

Wag the dog
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    for him to complete 23 miles in the alloted time was a major accomplishment...
    for him to go back later and finish the miles he didn't do was a personal integrity thing...
    for biggest loser to knowingly give out incorrect information and stage dane's completing the marathon was just plain old wrong!!!...viewers would have been proud of him for what he really did do...now he is going to live with the fact that his marathon completion was a fraud and all the viewers know it...i was surprised biggest loser didn't put out an apology the other night...shame on the production crew that created a lie...i am proud of him for what he did accomplish and disappointed in biggest loser for stating he accomplished what he didn't...yes, i know it is only tv and it is for entertainment, but many of us admire the guts it takes for the contestents to be on the show and the hard work they put into their weight loss journey....and we celebrate their personal victories...i don't mind the commercials because i know that is what keeps the show on the air...i think they are kind of smart the way they slide them in...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

We are all puppets!:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Darn evil doers :laugh:
    ah and they are the Puppet Masters if we allow it:huh: :noway: :tongue:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

I noticed that right of the bat. I thought it was a little cheesy. The zip lock to keep your food freash, cracked me up. Come on how obvious was that.
  • Kimono
    Options

I noticed that right of the bat. I thought it was a little cheesy. The zip lock to keep your food freash, cracked me up. Come on how obvious was that.

Do you think that is how it is going to be all the time on every show. I mean being that we really aren't watching commercials anymore, not with Tivo and DVR. Maybe just skip commercials and place the ads in the show from now on.
  • Nich0le
    Options
    Yes, that is how tv is going to be from now on. sponsors pay the cost associated with television show production, without advertisers we would have to pay for television and lord knows we wouldn't want to do that! :laugh:

There was a lot of discussion about advertising a few years ago and the new breed of marketers, basically they are focusing on the ipod generation, they know more and more households use tivo or dvr for their tv and because we skip thorugh commercials they are now doing what is referred to as PRODUCT PLACEMENT. LIke I said in my previous post, movies have done it for awhile, when I worked for starbucks they were proud to have been a major sponsor for one of the austin powers movies in which dr. evil has a starbucks on his space ship and the product was placed very prominently in several scenes. What most people see as a joke in the movie with starbucks as the punch line was actually a clever advertising plot!

Same is true for tv now too. Watch all of your tv shows and you will find that coke, pepsi and others prominently display their soda cans or water bottles in clear view of the camera, gone are the days of the black taped label!

:drinker:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

Do you think that is how it is going to be all the time on every show. I mean being that we really aren't watching commercials anymore, not with Tivo and DVR. Maybe just skip commercials and place the ads in the show from now on.

Good point that just may happen
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh my gosh! that is so funny! Now I'm going to get the giggles everytime of see them make their exaggerated facial expressions! I'm laughing now just thinking of them doing that!! :laugh: :laugh: