is it ok to just lose inches and not pounds?

Options
I have about 12 pounds until I reach my weight loss goal but the last few months I have been bouncing back and forth between the same 4lbs. Well I did measurements on 6/1 and then today and I have lost 8.5in from my waist, hips, and bust. I don't like the weight that I am at and am not happy with it but is it okay to just lose inches? Thanks :happy:

:heart:
Sherry

Replies

• kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think losing inches is definitely okay. I think that the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is to lose pounds. Is your goal weight based on your height and body type?
  • taraomc
    Options
    definitely! i stopped weighing myself a few months ago as i found measuring more accurate for my weight loss than the scales because it gives a more realistic/accurate indication to fat loss
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this. Would you rather see the scale go down a whole bunch of lbs but continue to look the same in the mirror?
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and YES!!! In my opinion, it is more about how you look and feel rather than what some number on a scale says you are. In all reality, no one really knows what the scale says but you and your doctor. But EVERYONE you interact with can see how you look. I know it is difficult but try not to focus so much on the actual number but how you look, feel and how your clothes are fitting. Shedding 8.5 inches is a great accomplishment. You should be proud. :smile:
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I love losing inches, but losing pounds is a plus too!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I love losing inches, but losing pounds is a plus too!
  • erszike48
    Options
    Absolutely! If you are working out with weights, you are building muscle and this weighs more than fat, plus it burns calories at a much higher rate. Dump the scale, I say!
  • macylane4
    Options
    I would rather lose inches then lose weight!! Weight is just a number, but inches show in your clothes or in a bikini!!! I am really overweight, so I lose about an inch a pound, but if I don't lose the weight and still lose inches that means you just gained muscle, or your body is holding water in your muscles etc!!! Great job if you're losing a lot of inches!!
  • aalegrett
    Options
    If you are in a exercises regiment you will see the lost of inches but not of pounds, that is great... :wink:
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If you are working out with weights, you are building muscle and this weighs more than fat, plus it burns calories at a much higher rate. Dump the scale, I say!

muscle and fat weigh the same a pound is a pound is a pound! they just take up different amounts of space!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number. Losing inches means you're getting healthy and fit. Honestly, the idea of not being happy with inches lost over weight seems ridiculous to me.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    I think losing inches is definitely okay. I think that the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is to lose pounds. Is your goal weight based on your height and body type?

Yes.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I am very happy and proud of the 8.5 inches. :) Thanks everyone.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Dresses aren't sized by weight.

Good for you.

Keep it up.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes inches is what you off in the first place (smaller clothes). Sadly I lost 20 lbs and stopped losing for 4 months (keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs) but I have shopped my closet twice for smaller clothes. from size 20 to size 16 almost 14 now.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I have about 12 pounds until I reach my weight loss goal but the last few months I have been bouncing back and forth between the same 4lbs. Well I did measurements on 6/1 and then today and I have lost 8.5in from my waist, hips, and bust. I don't like the weight that I am at and am not happy with it but is it okay to just lose inches? Thanks :happy:

:heart:
    Sherry

Hi there,

Yes, it is completey fine to lose inches and not necessarily pounds. .. Lean muscle takes up far less room then fat. .. and increases your metabolic rate. . So be proud of where you are. .. Smile hon. . .You will hit the goal that you want. . .your body is going to fluctuate as you build muscle. . but then it will settle. . and you will lose those couple lbs. . so don't stress it. . you just have to be patient with yourself. . and keep doing what you are doing! huggles.:smile:
  • allielavigne2013
    Options
    POUNDS = MUSCLES ! Id Recommend Going By Inches.People Can't See Weight They See Inches/
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Inches are better than pounds in all reality, pounds as a metric fluxuate a LOT due to water weight, sodium, shark week, exercise level, water intake, etc... they're good for determining an easy to measure weight TREND... but for accuracy, inches and body fat are where the ultimate measurements are.