Indoor Cardio for Winter

Options
Hi guys! Today is a grey, down-pouring, stay inside sort of day. My favorite forms of cardio are walking, running and biking. Very outdoorsy and traveling forms of cardio. On days where I can't get outside, I'll opt to jump rope in my basement! When I do this, I actually "shadow" jump rope without the rope because my ceilings are not high enough. Still gets me a very good burn :).

With winter approaching shortly, I'll probably have to say good bye to my more outdoorsy activities. However, just jump rope gets rather boring after a while. Do you guys have any recommendations for indoor cardio I could perform in a rather limited space? I know about the obvious answers such as treadmill, elliptical and exercise bike but sadly those options are out of my budget. Unless I find a very lucky offer on Craig's List or something XD.

Replies

• megamoo04
    Options
    JUMPING JACKS
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    People rave about the Insanity or PX90 workouts.

I'm afraid I'll have to stick with my Wii though I do have a treadmill thankfully, and I intend to run outside so long as there's no ice on the ground or snow.

Best of luck.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have never thought f the shadow jump roping before....LOL. I have been checking craigs list as well for a stationary bike, etc.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Billy Blank's Tae-Bo dvds
  • bkhibbard
    Options
    Cheeto,

I have had great success using my Wii and EA Sports Active or Active II for indoor workouts. They both have great cardio elements.

Good luck!
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    a gym?
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    Why don't you try out a work out DVD such as P90X or Insanity? I have heard great things about Turbo Fire too. They could easily get you through winter and if you are ever tired of them, you can switch 'em up. If you want to build yourself up to them, 30 day shred is a good beginner DVD by Jillian Michaels.

Also, check out Cross Fit. You can easily do that in your own home. You may have to build some boxes and purchase some kettle bells.

You could also cut in to a basketball and fill it with sand to make a medicine ball. Throw it on to the wall as you spring up from a squat. Killer move.
  • maysflower
    Options
    Workout videos. You can purchase them cheap at Walmart or go onto YouTube and search for workouts. If you live in the states and have NetFlix, I've heard they have workout videos on there. Or just search on the internet for indoor cardio workouts and I'm sure you will find some.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Create your own circuits by mixing 5 or more of some cardio exercises.

Do the circuits multiple times and you'll get quite a burn.

Here are some exercise examples:

Mountain Climbers

Squat Thrust

Star Jumps

Jump Rope

Lunges

Jumping jacks

Sit-ups

Crunches

Push-ups

Squats

Calf-raises

Chair Dips

Flutter kick
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    In an limited space and on a limited budget I would suggest some cardio dvds. Pretty cheap and usually don't need any equipment besides maybe a mat and sometimes dumbbells if the workout includes strength circuits.

Also you can youtube and google all sorts of cardio exercises and create a circuits routine that can give you a quick burn...think like jumping jacks, situps (all different forms of them), lunges, up/downs, pushups, squats, etc etc
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's a lot you can do with just your own body weight: push-ups, planks, tricep dips, sit-ups, bridge, burpees, leg raises, even chin ups if you get a bar. Jumping jacks, marching/running in place (challenge yourself with speed, higher knees), walking/running up and down stairs, butt kicks, etc.

If you want to do more, you could get a couple of hand weights at WalMart, they're not too expensive, usually about $1 per pound, sometimes less if you get a set. Like someone else suggested, check out craigslist or other local classifieds for free/cheap used equipment.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    do you have a smartphone? I make my own cardio/circuit workouts from the Nike Training camp apps or go to Combine360 and check out their 'killer' workouts and online competitions. I try to keep my heart rate at least at 75% so I know I get a good calorie burn. Do you Ebay? I would see about getting Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones or the Insanity Workouts to do at home.

Yes winter time is coming around, but i still run outdoors, even in the snow and in 20 degree weather.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    I dress for the weather and head out. It was rainy today, I walked a little. But with that said, I also use the treadmill or netflix has exercise videos and I have some too. Have a wonderful winter, it is amazing what you see when you are outside. Also, if you walk in the snow you burn more cals. :laugh:
  • yellodaysee
    yellodaysee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like you, I have limited space and a limited budget. I also enjoy the cardio activites and was looking for a workout dvd that I would enjoy doing at home. Of course my frugal self did not want to purchase a dvd if I wasn't going to like the workout. So I hit up my local library. They have a large selection of workout dvds so I can try MANY different types at no cost!! Its fantastic! I've found one that I like enough to add to my personal collection but then I can still check out the library to get a variety so I don't get bored of doing the same thing for every workout!

Good luck!
  • Kimberlycc
    Options
    If you have extended cable try Exercise TV on Demand. I don't buy any dvd's, although our cable was out yesterday, so I couldn't do anything from TV, so I ran. Anyway, there are alot of great options and they are free.