Rest Days and Mental Blocks

Options
...and a little babbling thrown in for good measure.

I get the concept of rest days. I've even *done* it on days when I've been on vacation and didn't have my weights/DVDs with me, and Mr. Scale has been kind. But the thought of taking a rest day from working out at home, when I'm RIGHT THERE...just feels so wrong.

It's not even that I'm an exercise fiend, either. I do about 30 min of circuit training a night with a DVD - Jillian Michaels's 30DS, BFBM (though I'm not a huge fan of this one) or NMTZ (love!). That's it. But I do it every day.

I just need a little reassurance that it's really okay to NOT work out 7 days a week. I'm down to the last 5 pounds I want to lose and want them gone. I'm really fine with how I'm eating - I have good and not-so good days and know what I need to do on my not-so-good days, so no worries there.

Hm. What am I really asking for? Examples of workout schedules, maybe. How frequently do you work out? Every day, every other day? I'm a bit worried about going to a less frequent schedule just because I don't want to get out of the habit. And I love circuit training - it's a lot more interesting (and intense!) than plain ol' cardio. I now have defined biceps and my abs are slowly but surely starting to show. Can't get those on an elliptical!

So...I don't know. Look into my brain, read between the lines here and figure out what the heck I'm asking for. :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• CBunny5
    Options
    I tend to work out for an hour every Tuesday and Thursday at the gym, then go running on Sunday morning every week and that seems to work for me. I think what's most important is finding something which works for you and which you don't always think you're forcing yourself to do.

I often take days off every few weeks if something else is on or if I think the stress of doing it is worse than the affects :P I wouldn't worry too much. The improved lifestyle of doing it not just to lose weight is great too, and you're never going to keep that up if it's something you hate!
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Below is my routine. Somedays I will do 7 days during the week if I feel that I didn't give it my all. Above all you need to listen to your body. If your body is telling you to rest, then you should. Don't confuse this with normal muscle soreness, but if you are actually hurt or injured, then it is time for a break. You do need to heal to grow. I hope this helps.

Sunday: 6-13 Mile run
    Monday: 2-2.5 mile run then 90 minutes Chest and Triceps finish with 10 minutes on stairs
    Tuesday: 2-2.5 mile run then 90 minutes Back and Biceps finish with 10 minutes on stairs
    Wednesday: No cardio 90 Minutes legs and shoulders finish
    Thursday: 3-5 mile run 45-60minutes Abs finish with
    Friday: 2-5 mile run 90 minutes full body (light weights high reps)
    Saturday: Rest day or swap with Friday
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I was taking way to many rest days.... It was kind of insane. Now I am doing the tribal challenge and have to exercise 6 days a week and take a rest day (which really means just a walk or something) on sunday or else I am super sore. My bath tub has become my best friend. But I don't think you should feel guilty about rest days. If you do, try something low impact on those days. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I would run 5K everyday if I could. For now, I do 20-30 minutes a day, usually running/walking, and I try to get in some easy walks in the evenings if I can. I worked up to it on light and heavy alternating days. 2 miles one day, 1 mile the next. Exercising everyday is not a bad thing. Overdoing it on any day is. I have a fiend that runs 5 miles every morning and has for 30 years. To lose weight, changing it up seems to keep things going. I have heard that it is good to do 10-15 minutes 2 times a day over one 30 minute work out...
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't ever feel like I'm forcing myself to work out...I'm a bit stiff but not "injury stiff" if you know what I mean. I feel like I'm forcing myself to rest!

Is it really necessary to rest, I guess is my main question.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "rest" days unless you're really training hard. Usually, I do SOME sort of cardio every day. I NEED it for stress management. (I get shingles otherwise and let me tell you- shingles on your face is NO FUN!) I also have trouble making good decisions when my head isn't cleared from the "me time" that working out a bit provides. My "rest days" will be days when I work out LESS than 30 minutes, but I don't schedule them. I just let life happen. ;)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't *plan* rest days, but I certainly take them when my body tells me to.