What excersise should I be logging?

Options
I'm a bit confused with adding excersise to my diary :(. In your profile you have to set whether you're active, very active etc. and that affects the number of calories MFP assigns you so if I was to put active and then add all my excersise too wouldn't I be double logging things as they're taken into account twice? :|

Replies

• Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've set mine at what activity level I'm at without exercising, then once I exercise I add those
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Log anything above and beyond what you normally do daily :smile:
  • mccgivens
    Options
    That is a very good question. I wonder if I should go back and change mine to sedentary, that way my logs would be under what I exercise and not over. Does anyone know this answer?
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Activity level refers to your daily activities and job functions. Not exercise. If you are wanting to log a job activity like pushing something heavy but have already made your activity level active then that would be double logging. But if you are wanting to log an evening jog and you have not made your activity level very active because of exercise then that is alright to log.
  • macylane4
    Options
    It asks how active you are with out including your workouts...like what do you do when you're not working out. So you need to modify that..(I put not active at all) and then you track the exercise you do over and above your daily activity!!!
    It will add calories for you when you log your work outs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused with adding excersise to my diary :(. In your profile you have to set whether you're active, very active etc. and that affects the number of calories MFP assigns you so if I was to put active and then add all my excersise too wouldn't I be double logging things as they're taken into account twice? :|

The way MFP is set up your are supposed to ignore your exercise when setting your activity level. But I agree if you do pick a higher setting to account for exercise, than you don't want to add exercise separately. Most trainers and nutritionists give caloric intake goals based on exercise, whereas MFP does not, this way you can lose the weight whether you exercise more or less than you planned on doing.
  • CBunny5
    Options
    Ok I think that makes more sense. So for example if you were working in a bar or something you'd have quite an active day even though you weren't specifically working out compared to someone who works in an office.

Still not sure how anyone would know what kind of job/lifestyle would be which other than by just estimating, but I'll leave mine on the lowest and just add anything where I am going out of my way to do excersise I think :)
  • vitacat
    vitacat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll leave mine on the lowest and just add anything where I am going out of my way to do excersise I think :)

That's what works for me :smile:
  • RobertaKR
    RobertaKR Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I think you are supposed to evaluate your activity during most of your day. If you have a desk job, your level would be sendentary. If you have a job where you are on your feet most of the day ( nurse, delivery, retail) your activity level is above sedentary. Add your exercise later.

I have been wearing a pedometer which give number of steps, distance, & calories. If I've had a day where I walk on my lunch hour or run errands, the steps add up and I include those in my exercise log. Being active doesn't only include workouts. I didn't have time for a workout a few days ago, but I did 45 minutes of house-cleaning. (also included is gardening/yard-work and walking the dog) it's in the data base. Anything is better than sitting in the couch watching TV.
  • CBunny5
    Options
    Being active doesn't only include workouts. I didn't have time for a workout a few days ago, but I did 45 minutes of house-cleaning. (also included is gardening/yard-work and walking the dog) it's in the data base. Anything is better than sitting in the couch watching TV.

Oh wow! I hadn't even considered looking at the database for things like cleaning and gardening. Unless you're a gardener I suppose it's ok to add those as extras :P
  • CBunny5
    Options
    Posted twice by accident