Birth control and weight loss

Options
Ok so I am on the pill and I have noticed tha it doesnt matter what I eat. I still have access weight, I eat so strict and it doesnt seem to matter. If I wasnt on anything I would prob be 10lbs lighter. Has anyone ever noticed that in their body? Any one have any information?

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am on the pill and I have noticed tha it doesnt matter what I eat. I still have access weight, I eat so strict and it doesnt seem to matter. If I wasnt on anything I would prob be 10lbs lighter. Has anyone ever noticed that in their body? Any one have any information?
  • amtish
    amtish Posts: 7
    Options
    I have noticed through the past that whenever I start a new pill regiment, I too would gain weight. I don'
    t know why it happens. My eating habits never changed. I wanted to do the pill where I would only have my period 4 times a year. My doctor told me to just stick with what I had and stop taking my pills when it came time for the placebo ones. So I did that and that's when I REALLY noticed that even in that short week, I gained weight. So I don't know what makes it happen, but it has happened to me as well. Just to let you know you're not the only one out there....... :)
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    yeah i agree. i started on new birth control about a year ago, about the same time i really started trying to lose my college weight. i've been eating less and exercising more...and i can feel the change as far as feeling stronger and less flabby, but the scale is so darn stubborn.

i definitely agree that if i went off the pill i would weight about 10 lbs less...

anyone know how to reverse the effects?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've been on birthcontrol for 10+ years. I would love to know what my body is normally like without the extra drugs.....but I love not having a kid right now more! :wink:

I've tried them all and am currently on Yaz. It supposedly has a diuretic in it so it combats extra weight gain. I've been on this for about 3 years-ish and so far so good. I triple pack my pills so I only have my period 4 times a year.

You just have to be careful with it because it can mess with your blood pressure and potassium levels.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    What pills are or were you guys on?? I am on Ortho Tricyclen Lo..
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I tried orthor tri low for a while and then started gaining weight. I switched to Seasonale and I had a TON of weight gain on that.

I liked Triphasil.
    Hated the normal ortho tricyc.
    Love Yaz

But remember, everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you!
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I have recently gotten OFF birthcontrol and have noticed it even more difficult to lose weight now, than when I was on it. I am actually experiencing the scale going in the wrong direction since I got off of it and started using MFP at the beginning of January. I have noticed, however, that I can control my appetite easier now that I'm off of birthcontrol. Maybe its just my hormones adjusting still...but I've been off of it since the end of December, so who know? Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating! I am making an appointment with my doc to see what's going on with me....starting to feel like I'll be on the line of "overweight" forever!:sad:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Yea I am actually switching from the pill to nuvaring.. When I switched b4 I lost lbs.. So I am going to try it again.

I was on birthcontrol all through out highschool. So I have tried alot of different brands. I got off the nuvaring b/c of money. Now it is not that big of a deal since the bc i am on is the same price. I remember loosing 10 lbs when I switched to the nuvaring and I have more motivation ot work out. i will keep you updated.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    i am on lybrel. it is a steady dose, 28 day, continuous pill. i take it month after month (for probably a year now). when i occasionally take a week off, i don't even have a period. my dr says that's the point--to get to a level of lining that is thick enuf for your body not to ovulate (b/c it's thinking it's already pg) and thin enuf that it doesn't need to slough off. and the truth is, you don't have to have a period (bleeding) even 4x/year. it isn't required.
    i also tried seasonale but i had breakthru bleeding so wasn't the right match for me.

however, keep in mind that all these pills are hormones, and weight gain(espec b/c of estrogen), acne, mood disorders can all be affected by them.
    for ex, when i went to demulen 135 (which had been my regular pre-kids one), my week off was HORRIBLE. i had a terrible dip into acute depression. but then the switch to lybrel, and no problems at all.
    i'm willing to keep the hormones b/c i don't want more kids now.
    so, of course talk to your dr about what is best for you--med history, lifestyle, family planning goals, etc.
    here's to choice!:drinker:
  • saerah12
    saerah12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was on the ring for a couple years and it was very hard for me to lose weight. I switched to a hormone free IUD and lost 16 lbs in 2 months! 10 pounds since joing MPF. It has slowed down to about a pound a week now, but it is still much easier to lose. I am pretty sure however, that gaining would still be as easy:grumble: isn't it always!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I wish I could get an IUD but I've heard horror stories for women who haven't had children yet. Yikes!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Birth control tells your body it is pregnant, for all intents and purposes. Pregnancy comes with water weight gain and your body's natural function to hold on to nutrients and store fat to protect the fetus. Your body is doing exactly what the pill is telling it to do.

I was on the pill from 13-19 and constantly struggled with the extra weight. It wasn't until I went off at 19 and chose a different form of birth control that I quit having such a hard time with the weight (about 4 months after I 'regulated" my weight) Bottom line, your body thinks it is pregnant thanks to the pill so it is going to act pregnant. :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yea I am actually switching from the pill to nuvaring.. When I switched b4 I lost lbs.. So I am going to try it again.

I was on birthcontrol all through out highschool. So I have tried alot of different brands. I got off the nuvaring b/c of money. Now it is not that big of a deal since the bc i am on is the same price. I remember loosing 10 lbs when I switched to the nuvaring and I have more motivation ot work out. i will keep you updated.

I was on NuvaRing a few years ago, and I absolutely LOVED it. I never had trouble with weight gain, and it was so convenient... I could never remember to take the pill.
  • oodesireoo
    Options
    i tried the depo shots for a whole year when i was 22 and it definitely made me gain weight and i think im still carrying some of that weight. sheesh. ive tried other pills like ortho-low it was ok but i still feel flabby. i finally switched to Yaz and i love it. i dont feel as bloated and it didnt seem like i gained any weight. i had to stop taking it because i was on anti biotics for a couple of weeks and i kinna feel like ive gained weight. i cant wait to get back on it!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get an IUD but I've heard horror stories for women who haven't had children yet. Yikes!
    I would love to pick your brain about that...what did you hear???
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I've heard from friends that it hurts like a mother trying to get it in because they have never been dialated before. Also that it feels EXTREMELY uncomfortable once it's in because again, things haven't been stretched out yet.

Other stories about it puncturing the uterus as well as stories about their other halves feeling it poke them during nocturnal activities. Yikes!
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    I'm on Nuva ring, and I never gained weight from that. I had to take other medication ( to regulate another illness) and that made me gain weight. I would recommend Nuva Ring if the hormone levels work for your body. =]
  • MAJackson88
    Options
    I was the complete opposite. I was on the Patch for 3 years and easily maintained and lost weight. When I got off it, about 1.5 years ago since we're ttc, thats when the weight snuck up on me. Now it seems to be harder for me to loose it. :(

You may talk to your doctor and try a different type of birth control. It really all depends on the person and their body.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I really want to go on Lybrel, but it's not available in Britain :sad: