why have I stopped losing weight

Options
I started my weight loss on 4 July with a starting weight of 155 pounds. On 4 August I reached 148 pounds, but haven't lossed anything since. I haven't changed my eating or exercise habits and I don't understand why the weight is no longer coming off. I know that weight loss does eventually slow down, but I still have a long way to go as at only 5 foot tall I am still very overweight for my height. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all of the calories MFP has suggested each day? Sometimes people stall if they have too big a calorie deficit.
    Or it might just be that you need a break. Maybe try putting your calories up for a while (to 1/2 a pound or even maintenance) and give yourself a change for a few weeks then you can drop them down again.
    Or it might just be a normal fluctuation that will disappear if you keep doing everything the same!

And if you can open your diary or tell us more about what you eat and how much you exercise you will probably get some more specific advice.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    In addition to the upping calories suggestion, I am going to suggest decreasing them.

As a fellow short woman, I know that your BMR is already very low and lowering with weight loss. The 1200 MFP minimum may be a bit too much for you to lose much. I've known many short women who were able to reduce their calories to 900-1000 (under doctor supervision). Again, this is just a suggestion and you should talk to a doctor before reducing your calories for an extended period of time.

EDIT: I just checked the BMR calculator, and your BMR is only 1238 right now. That means eating 1200 calories without exercise is not a very large deficit at all.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I started my weight loss on 4 July with a starting weight of 155 pounds. On 4 August I reached 148 pounds, but haven't lossed anything since. I haven't changed my eating or exercise habits and I don't understand why the weight is no longer coming off. I know that weight loss does eventually slow down, but I still have a long way to go as at only 5 foot tall I am still very overweight for my height. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Have you tried measuring yourself or fit on your old clothes? BEcause if you find your dress size shrinks without losing weight then you might be gaining some muscles.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    Certain foods sometimes stall people, usually cheese and gluten. You could try cutting down on these if you consume a lot. Your exercise may need to be increased in intensity or length - it doesn't have to be a lot, just a small amount that you can live with.

You might not be drinking enough water, double check that - if you are check you are not eating too much salt.

Before you cut calories check you are not eating too much sugar - simply cutting down on that is usually easier than eating less.

If you're already eating all your calories, try eating a little less calories by bulking up with vegetables and add a high calorie day here and there.

Experiment and find what works for you.
  • Miss_Z_87
    Options
    You may need to look at changing your exercise plan, as your body reaches a plateu or gets used to the exercise you are currently doing. Try changing your exercise plan every 8 weeks. If its not challenging anymore then thats a sign you need to mix things up! Hope that helps
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    As you can see from the very different responses in the second and third post, we can't attempt to diagnose the problem if we don't know any of the variables. Would you go tell a doctor what you just told us and ask him to do the same thing? If you want any sort of decent and possibly real answer, please do the following,

1. make diary public.
    2. are you keeping accurate diary?
    3. age / height
    4. list exercises
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    In addition to the upping calories suggestion, I am going to suggest decreasing them.

As a fellow short woman, I know that your BMR is already very low and lowering with weight loss. The 1200 MFP minimum may be a bit too much for you to lose much. I've known many short women who were able to reduce their calories to 900-1000 (under doctor supervision). Again, this is just a suggestion and you should talk to a doctor before reducing your calories for an extended period of time.

EDIT: I just checked the BMR calculator, and your BMR is only 1238 right now. That means eating 1200 calories without exercise is not a very large deficit at all.

For you to determine your daily calorie intake, you should also consider the activity level. For example 1238 x 1.55 (moderately active) = 1,918.90 therefore your daily calorie intake should be 1,918 to maintain your weight. And if you want to lose weight, just subtract 250 or 500 calories from that figure. The 1200 calories is limited only to sedentary people but if you are light or moderately active then you need more than that amount of calories to eat.

(I wonder why MFP doesn't have any option on the activity level aside from the normal daily activities which doesn't make sense at all especially if you have been exercising for a long time)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    No, your BMR is based on what you'd burn is you laid in bed all day. MFP calculated your deficit based on your daily activity level of sedentary to very active plus exercise. Sedentary is 1.2 * BMR or 1485 calories based on your calculations, which give a deficit before exercise.
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the replies. I hadn't realised my diary was still private, I had changed my setting, but obviously did not save the change (doh!). I realise that made it a bit difficult for you guys who took the time and trouble to help me. Thank you all so much for your suggestions.
  • hroush
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough. Make sure to eat all your calories that you're alloted and any exercise calories you earn. Your story is very typical of someone not eating enough, those lose some really quick and then stop.

This is a simplistic view of what's happening, but hopefully you'll get the picture:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work

Hopefully someone else reading this can pass along some better supporting material.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Couple of suggestions:

Switch the white bread for wholemeal. (I'm the only one in my house who eats it, but it keeps beautifully in the freezer!)

Track your sugar intake - it looks a bit high, and that can lead to difficulties in losing, especially round the tummy.

Are you doing any strength training?

Make sure you intake at least 1000 a day - eating back exercise calories is a different debate, but consistently intaking under 1000 (given your height) isn't good.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating nearly enough. Try to eat lean meats, fruits, veggies, and whole grains. It seems like a lot of your food is processed too and sodium is probably high.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Might be sodium related. I (finally) broke a plateau by decreasing my sodium to 1g. We're about the same height; don't give up!
  • hroush
    Options
    Might be sodium related. I (finally) broke a plateau by decreasing my sodium to 1g. We're about the same height; don't give up!

:noway: :grumble:

This broke her plateau because she lost water weight, which will not solve your problem. I believe you've been eating like this the whole time, ask yourself, why would the amount of sodium you take in affect how much water you retain now? If you continue consuming high levels of sodium, but also enough calories that you can lose weight, you still lose weight.

Eat more, lose more.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks "
  • hroush
    Options
    Marvelous write up, Kapeluza.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Judging from how much you have lost you have hit the stage where weight loss slows down but not the plateau stage yet - that usually happens at 10% weight loss. You can still lose up to a total of 15-6 pounds before plateaus has hit. So you can do something to keep losing. What happens is that your body is meant to keep you at your regular weight ( original weight) The more you lose (or gain) the more it fights the loss. Usually people will slow down (but for some reason you stopped) about now. Maybe it is not eating enough calories. When you do hit a plateau go to my blog not to read it necessarily but it has 2 great links that will help you http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KeriA/view/plateaus-revisited-132685. You may get more loss with 9 and a half cups of water. I drink 14 but I am heavier. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Some people have had more success with a zig zag diet. Maybe upping exercise will help. High protein and complex carbs when you eat them is good. 3 vegetables a day and 2 fruit. Stay away from sugar as much as possib le and from drinking your calories. Measure it will help to know you are losing inches which if you are exercising you will. My 3 rules: 1. Don't give up 2. log daily 3. improve each day or week. Good luck.
  • tracym17
    Options
    thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions. I will make a conscious effort to eat more.
  • tracym17
    Options
    thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions. I will make a conscious effort to eat more.
  • JJostesCheng
    Options
    "just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks "

Thanks so much for your Post! It really cheered me up and made me feel better! Im stuck at my halfway point with 15 more pounds to loose and was getting really depressed! :(