I'm a little lost right now and would like to hear some opinions

Options
I started intermitten fasting a month ago, when I first started, everything was fine. I had the usual I would like to eat during times where I'm not supposed to and I eventually got over it the next week. I did a 24 hour fasting which helped me curb my cravings and hunger by a lot.

Around the last week of the month, I had a 48h fast, which was not a problem for me. I resumed eating little by little as to not stress out my stomach and cause indigestion. I continued to eat around 700cals a day (for about 2-3 days) before resuming to 1000cals and eventually increasing it to 1200.

When I stood on the scale, I realised that I had gained weight. Before the weight gain, I had lost around 5kg and in 3 days, I had gained back 1kg. I did not change the food I ate. I was eating the same as when I was on my diet which is confusing me. I'm still exercising daily (nothimg vigorous, simple workout like walking and sometimes HIIT (around 20mins every 3/4 days)

I'm currently eating around 1000cals and my weight seems to still be increasing even though I went out for a run yesterday..

(Am I gaining weight because I was under eating previously? Or am I gaining weight cuz of exercise?)

I think this is a weight loss plateau or something but it's really frustrating as many say to overcome it you have to reduce the calorie intake (which I don't think I should go any lower..) I have been increasing my exercise intensity little by littld but my weight only seems to be going up.. I need some advice

Replies

• jrzgurl80
    jrzgurl80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion but I think you're not consuming enough calories for weight loss especially since you're exercising. Try bumping it up to a minimum of 1200 calories (healthy ones). I eat 4 small meals throughout the day and have had success losing weight and toning up. Good luck and remember to never give up.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Many, many, many factors will affect the number on the scale. Pictures and body measurements are great tools to keep track of progress. I wouldn't recommend that you restrict your food intake any further since 700 is quite low. If you feel weak and without enough energy to complete your exercises it might be time to increase your calories and create a deficit through exercise. Plateus occur when the body has reached homeostasis. At this point you need to be in a deficit and since you already restricted your food to low your other option is to increase your physical activity. It's important to not create too much of a deficit at the beginning of a weight loss goal. This leads to situations where restricting more food is dangerously unhealthy.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    1200 calories should be your minimum and that includes eating back your exercise calories to reach 1200 AFTER not BEFORE exercise.

Increase your calories and see how your doing in a couple of weeks.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @KeiPootat - I also started Intermittent Fasting when I joined MFP about 7months ago. And like you, IF was really helpful in giving me structure to eat during a window as opposed to an all day, non-stop eating fest. I also started out at 1200 calories per MFP's settings and ate more calories when I added exercise. The weight loss was pretty rapid (actually too rapid) and encouraging for the initial 3 months. But I definitely felt days when I was fatigued and burnt out.

I watched and read all these videos and articles purporting the benefits of intermittent fasting (in addition to weight loss), like mental alertness, regulating blood sugar, anti-aging, etc. And also lots of videos of people doing OMAD and alternate day fasting... And I'm going to say that I'm not convinced of the supposed benefits, and regarding the latter with the OMAD and alternate day fasting, it makes fasting look like a cult fad diet.

Admittedly, I didn't do further research, but I also have come across some opinions that fasting is not good for women as it may affect hormones. I don't know if you, OP, are female, but when I heard that it might mess with hormones, I felt like it was time to give up IF. In my health journey over the past 18mos, I realize it's not just weight loss that is most important; I want my whole body and mind to feel strong, full of energy and in balance.

With the workouts you are doing (running, HIIT) on low calories while also doing IF, I can't help but think you are stressing your body the hell out. I wouldn't be surprised that your body is trying to survive by clinging to water weight and lowering energy expenditure on basic body functions in order to keep up with what you are putting it through.
  • KeiPootat
    KeiPootat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sal10851 wrote: »
    Many, many, many factors will affect the number on the scale. Pictures and body measurements are great tools to keep track of progress. I wouldn't recommend that you restrict your food intake any further since 700 is quite low. If you feel weak and without enough energy to complete your exercises it might be time to increase your calories and create a deficit through exercise. Plateus occur when the body has reached homeostasis. At this point you need to be in a deficit and since you already restricted your food to low your other option is to increase your physical activity. It's important to not create too much of a deficit at the beginning of a weight loss goal. This leads to situations where restricting more food is dangerously unhealthy.

I do not feel tired or dizzy with 700cals (I'm 159cm (around 5 2) I'm forcing myself to eat more since I sort of have no appetite most of the time. I've started to increase the intensity of my exercise little by little. I'm eating around 1000cals now
  • KeiPootat
    KeiPootat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    msapplek wrote: »
    @KeiPootat - I also started Intermittent Fasting when I joined MFP about 7months ago. And like you, IF was really helpful in giving me structure to eat during a window as opposed to an all day, non-stop eating fest. I also started out at 1200 calories per MFP's settings and ate more calories when I added exercise. The weight loss was pretty rapid (actually too rapid) and encouraging for the initial 3 months. But I definitely felt days when I was fatigued and burnt out.

I watched and read all these videos and articles purporting the benefits of intermittent fasting (in addition to weight loss), like mental alertness, regulating blood sugar, anti-aging, etc. And also lots of videos of people doing OMAD and alternate day fasting... And I'm going to say that I'm not convinced of the supposed benefits, and regarding the latter with the OMAD and alternate day fasting, it makes fasting look like a cult fad diet.

Admittedly, I didn't do further research, but I also have come across some opinions that fasting is not good for women as it may affect hormones. I don't know if you, OP, are female, but when I heard that it might mess with hormones, I felt like it was time to give up IF. In my health journey over the past 18mos, I realize it's not just weight loss that is most important; I want my whole body and mind to feel strong, full of energy and in balance.

With the workouts you are doing (running, HIIT) on low calories while also doing IF, I can't help but think you are stressing your body the hell out. I wouldn't be surprised that your body is trying to survive by clinging to water weight and lowering energy expenditure on basic body functions in order to keep up with what you are putting it through.

I'm a female. I'm not purposely eating too little >~< I just struggle to find appetite to eat half the time. I'm increasing my calorie intake little by little. I did not know that IF affects the female hormones and now that you have stated, maybe my body is clinging to whatever weight it can as a response.

IF helped me for the first month, but I think it completely wiped out my desire to eat in a way so I start to eat lesser since I rarely felt hungry. Im trying to expand my eating period so I eat more. I could have been under eating due to the fact I eat really late and don't feel hungry once its past 6pm.

Maybe when I'm back to a proper schedule I'll start to eat more and things will fix itself slowly.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Okay you are a 5'-2" female. What is your current weight and what weight are you trying to get down to? My concern is that you are not eating enough and that you sound like you are heading for a neurotic relationship with food. Eat, eat healthy and find a life style balance instead of starving yourself. My two cents.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of skipping meals. In my experience it's lead me to overeating when I finally got my first meal. If it works for you keep going!