Why 20% protein at set-up?

Options
AlexiaC47
AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
Hi everyone.

I just joined today and got premium. Some question are setting up.

I’m wondering why the protein/fat/carb ratio is set up this way. I have changed to higher protein based on researching online, but does mfp recommend the numbers it provides?

Also, whether I put in sedentary or slightly active, and losing 1 pound a week or 1.5, I keep getting 1,200 calories a day. Is that the lowest?

Thank you so much.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The protein macro is based on RDA (which is a minimum RDA, and is actually based on the minimum needs of a sedentary person eating to maintain weight). Many here consider it too low, and increase it. The default macros are an okay starting point.

1200 is indeed the lowest calorie allowance for women. This is because it is extremely difficult to get adequate nutrition with a calorie intake lower than that.
  • mouser36
    mouser36 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nony.....do you or can you provide a reliable website that will help set up your macros?
    With MTP auto setting it’s a little confusing what our macros should be, I think!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    mouser36 wrote: »
    Nony.....do you or can you provide a reliable website that will help set up your macros?
    With MTP auto setting it’s a little confusing what our macros should be, I think!

@mouser36 - numbers often used here are protein at 1g per lb of lean body mass, or 0.6-0.8g per lb ideal/goal (not current) weight if you don't know lbm, fat at 0.25-0.45g per lb ideal/goal weight, both as minimums, then let carbs fall where they may according to your preferences.

For weight loss, calories are king. Macros come into play for satiety (which obviously helps for sticking to your calorie goal), adequate protein for minimising muscle loss, adequate fats for hormonal balance, and carbs for fuelling exercise. The ideal macro split is the one that works for you :)
  • AlexiaC47
    Options
    Helpful. Thank you.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AlexiaC47 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I just joined today and got premium. Some question are setting up.

I’m wondering why the protein/fat/carb ratio is set up this way. I have changed to higher protein based on researching online, but does mfp recommend the numbers it provides?

Also, whether I put in sedentary or slightly active, and losing 1 pound a week or 1.5, I keep getting 1,200 calories a day. Is that the lowest?

Thank you so much.

Mostly because it's a simple one-size-fits-all percentage and it's generally plenty for everyone and within the dietary guidelines ranges. The main problem is doing it by percentage at all, as what works for a really active person at 3000 won't for a smaller, less active woman at 1200.

As Nony said, I think a good rule of thumb is .6-.8 g/lb of goal weight, and perhaps the higher end of that has benefits when losing, when more active, and for appetite control.

So for a woman aiming for, say, 120, perhaps 96 g is a good goal. That's 384 calories, or approximately 30% of 1200, but if one is more active and eats 1600, then it's 25%. For someone maintaining at 2000, it's actually a bit under 20%. I think the default macros are really plenty sufficient and won't affect weight loss at all for most starting out, and for many ever, but for someone at lower cals it might help (again, for muscle maintenance and appetite control) to increase protein at bit and to treat it as a min (although that doesn't mean it's necessary to hit it every single day).

It gives you 1200, because it's calculating that based on your stats you really can't lose more than 1 lb/week safely. You can eat more than 1200, though, since the way it works is to have you eat back any exercise calories. Sedentary and slightly active are about how much you move outside of intentional exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Isn't one of the premium features that you can set macro goals in grams and not just percentages?

Setting minimum goals in grams for protein and fat can give you more flexibility as the balance of your day's allowance can then come from whichever macro blends you want or need on that day.

This is a good read.....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

• AlexiaC47
    Options
    Yes I can set it in grams or %. But I still am struggling to find the right numbers either way. I will read your link, thank you
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    What's not been mentioned yet is what works for you is totally individual. Sure, you will lose in any calorie deficit, but people thrive on different macros. Some people get really full from high fat, others from high protein, again others from high carbs. If you eat too much against what works for you then there's a chance you will binge, and ultimately fail.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AlexiaC47 wrote: »
    Yes I can set it in grams or %. But I still am struggling to find the right numbers either way. I will read your link, thank you

There really isn't a universal "right" macro ratio...macro ratios are very individual.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    What's not been mentioned yet is what works for you is totally individual. Sure, you will lose in any calorie deficit, but people thrive on different macros. Some people get really full from high fat, others from high protein, again others from high carbs. If you eat too much against what works for you then there's a chance you will binge, and ultimately fail.

Nope, I definitely mentioned that in my second reply, both satiety and personal preference :)