Any ideas of what to do w/ this???

I bought some “super greens” powder to put in smoothies and omg i just cant 😝. I cant get past the texture. Any ideas of how to make this palatable or other places to hide it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I personally find "Super Greens" type products to have a very strong flavor that I do not care for. If there is a taste or texture in a smoothie I don't care for, I'll try sweeter fruits (banana, date, pineapple, for example) or something like more ice. But sometimes we just don't like something!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited October 2020
    Interesting. I don't mind this product. Then again, I was having it with protein powder (Vega, natural flavor) and anywhere from 0.5- 1.0 cup of frozen blueberries.

ETA...
    Caveat: I'm also one of those people who don't mind the taste of cilantro so it might just be a palate thing.
  • EML112610
    EML112610 Posts: 27 Member
    MT, I was thinking blueberries..... and working in small amounts of a time. Ty!

And cmr - i lol’d literally at that. I tried it once w/ a shot of ACV and literally gagged it back out into the sink. Cant even make pickles out of the stuff now! 🤢
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited October 2020
    I mix mine with orange juice, but only a small amount about 150ml. I have also had it with spicy tomato juice in the past. I did see in once of the recipe suggestions for my brand about using it in scrambled eggs, hummus or homemade energy balls.
  • EML112610
    EML112610 Posts: 27 Member
    I mix mine with orange juice, but only a small amount about 150ml. I have also had it with spicy tomato juice in the past. I did see in once of the recipe suggestions for my brand about using it in scrambled eggs, hummus or homemade energy balls.

So like a bloody mary maybe??😂

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    Muffin?
    Maybe in a grittier muffin like a quinoa or cornbread or oat muffin?
    Put it in a quiche?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I just checked the ingredients to see what the heck this product even is...it looks like barley, wheat grass, spirulina, and a myriad of other random things. I'm not sure I could handle drinking this with water either..I'm thinking maybe compost is a nice idea...lol. The scrambled eggs suggestion might be a good one, along with other veggies like spinach, red peppers, mushrooms, and maybe a strong cheese like feta to help mask it.
    Another reviewer on Amazon says its delicious if you mix it with tomato juice. I say go for the bloody Mary idea...that way, if it sucks, after drinking a few you won't even care anyway..😆
  • dragon_girl26
    I don’t gag things down I don’t like. I don’t care how healthy it allegedly is. 🤮

I had a coworker a few years back who was trying to lose weight. At one point he would go to the cafeteria with us, buy eggs, and complain the whole way back about having to eat them because he hated eggs. I asked him why he ate them then, and he was convinced that it was making him healthier somehow. 🤷‍♂️ I never figured that one out and eventually he stopped doing it.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I don’t gag things down I don’t like. I don’t care how healthy it allegedly is. 🤮

I had a coworker a few years back who was trying to lose weight. At one point he would go to the cafeteria with us, buy eggs, and complain the whole way back about having to eat them because he hated eggs. I asked him why he ate them then, and he was convinced that it was making him healthier somehow. 🤷‍♂️ I never figured that one out and eventually he stopped doing it.

Yeah, if I try to force myself to eat something I hate, I’m going to quit eating it.

OP I suggest throwing it away and learning a valuable lesson: there is 0 need to eat/drink anything you hate to lose weight.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Throw it onto your garden. That's what I did with mine and I won't be buying anymore of it.
  • janejellyroll

Yep, I gave mine away to an interested co-worker. Life is too short to choke down stuff you don't like unless it's literally medicine.
  • dragon_girl26
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Throw it onto your garden. That's what I did with mine and I won't be buying anymore of it.

So much this. If you can't give it away to someone, then anything composted is never truly wasted.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Ok, are we talking about the same products, guys?! I don't get the hate 🤣 The one I had a while back was...

https://ca.iherb.com/pr/Amazing-Grass-Green-Superfood-Antioxidant-Sweet-Berry-7-4-oz-210-g/35730

I see now that it was Acai flavored (although acai is an acquired taste in and of itself)...maybe that's why I didn't mind it?

OP, please share a link or picof the product you purchased, if possible...or not yet chucked into compost 😂
  • janejellyroll
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Ok, are we talking about the same products, guys?! I don't get the hate 🤣 The one I had a while back was...

https://ca.iherb.com/pr/Amazing-Grass-Green-Superfood-Antioxidant-Sweet-Berry-7-4-oz-210-g/35730

I see now that it was Acai flavored (although acai is an acquired taste in and of itself)...maybe that's why I didn't mind it?

OP, please share a link or picof the product you purchased, if possible...or not yet chucked into compost 😂

The one I tried was Amazing Grass brand, but I don't think it had a flavor other than "green death." (Okay, that's what I called it . .).