Sugar in Fruit ???

Options
I'm a big sugar eater. But as long as I'm typing my food in it helps me a great deal on my sugar intake... But I'm still having a HARD time hitting my sugar intake goal, I ALWAYS go over.. This is buggin me.. Sigh...

I find when I try to eat my fruits it kills me in my sugar.. My mom tells me to not count the fruit sugar intake since it's a natural sugar.. Is that OK to do ???

Any ideas of how I can get my fruits in, with out the sugar in them ?

Replies

• blondie1238
    Options
    BUMP. I have this problem too.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You still have to count sugar in fruit. It's still a simple carb. You just have to limit the amount of fruit you eat.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    It's OK. The sugar in fruit is taken very well by the body. Most people's intake goes over just by eating an apple! But, the stuff in fruit is what your body actually uses and metabolizes. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • SummerHuizenga
    Options
    please just eat the fruit :) I found when I tried to cut out fruit, I just ended up eating other sweets. The benefits of eating the fruit for the vitamins/enzymes/antioxidants FAR outweigh the natural sugars in them :) They are from NATURE eat it!! Organic please!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is better as it is natural and paired with fiber, but you should still watch the amount you eat. The majority of your fruit and veggies per day should come from the veggie side of the equation. If you eat 5 of the total at least 3 should be veggies, if you eat 7 at least 4 should be veggie.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It may not be right, but what I do is if I am over on my sugar intake for the day (which I usually am by A LOT) I try and finish the day under my carb goal. Carbs break down to sugars.. so I figure that balances things out. could be wrong, but its been working for me.
  • xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    I have that same problem..All I've ate today is 3/4 cup of special K cereal & 3/4 cup of low fat milk..one medium apple & 15 grapes...and im ALREADY over my sugar limit...wtf ??? lol
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Since the sugar in fruit is natural, it is fine for you, but in moderation (just like everything). How much fruit a day do you eat? Try limiting it to 3 servings a day & look for fruit that would be lower in sugar content. Here is a website I found that contains the amounts of sugar in fruits. Hope it helps you! :smile:

http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't count the sugar in fruit....Unless it's something you are eating in excessive amounts. (like fruit for breakfast,lunch,dinner and snacks) I don't think it really has that bad of an effect on your body.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i don't watch sugar, but i can see your frustrations. i think that as long as you stay away from sweets like candy and other junk food, you should be ok. sugar from fruit is fine. do not make the corrolation that you can have a snickers instead of a piece of fruit.

btw, one apple can have as much energy in it as a coke. i have replaced my midafternoon soda with an apple, and feel great.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Obviously there's a BIG difference in eating fruit and eating candy bars. The sugars are not the same. It's good to eat 5-7 helpings of fruits and veges daily.

The only thing you have to watch when eating a lot of fruit is enamel erosion. I use ProNamel for enamel protection.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your diary you're eating a lot of packaged frozen fruit. Try fresh fruits and I think you'll be able to cut the carbs back. Also try to cut back on other high carb snacks.
  • Jconner30
    Options
    I have been snacking on watermellon during lunch. I also bought a pineapple and some cantelope. Since I killed the watermellen off today, its time to start killing the pineapple and cantelope :)
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    I would limit your fruit ...perhaps two a day
    also some fruit has more sugar...
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    My hubby has been on me not to log the fruit I eat saying it shouldnt count for anything. I log it anyway cause if I dont I'm so far under my calorie goal its just stupid. Having said that, I agree with some above, natural sugar is fine, your body needs it and processes it 'better' than 'fake' sugar you find in candy and junk food.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking that for the same reason! Even without my coffeecreamer in the morning (which I need to cut out!), I go over with 2 cups of milk and 2 fruit servings. As long as my sugar intake is from these types of sources, I'm not going to worry about it.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Make sure your sugar comes from FRUIT and NOT FRUIT JUICE.

Fruit = WIN

Fruit juice = soda pop
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I see no point in counting calories if there are calories that you don't count. It's like doing accounting for the mafia. The whole point is to see an honest record of what you consume. The only thing that seems legit to omit are things that are so small they couldn't possibly matter.

I don't know about specifically tracking sugar; all I count is calories. But sugar is not just sugar. And it's not just about whether it is natural or not, or how many calories it contains. One of the biggest issues with sugar is how quickly it can get from your gut into your bloodstream. Drinking a soda or FRUIT JUICE is probably the worst. Those are the only two items on my "Never, Ever" list.

Straight sugar in your diet enters your bloodstream all at once, then its gone. After a very short time you feel hungry, unsatisfied, and you crave more. But even among fruits, some are better than others. Apples are quite good. You swallow a fairly big chunk and a lot of the sugar is still trapped in little pockets that are protected by fiber. It takes a long time for your guts to dissolve through the fiber and get the sugars out. So it's like being on a slow drip. I think oranges are not so good. And I'm guessing that freezing fruit busts open a lot of cell walls, making it at least a little faster-dissolving than the same fresh fruit.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the sugar in fruit. I eat a lot of high sugar fruits and I've lost a lot of inches in my stomach since I've started doing that, rather than restricting my fruit intake. Fruit juice is an entirely different story though (unless you made it yourself with just fruit and nothing else added.)

I wouldn't worry about it, OP.